“Pretty okay overall..........”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Cahuita
Orotina, Costa Rica
“Pretty okay overall..........”
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Cahuita itself is an interesting and relaxed sort of place, where north-american ex-hippies play cards with locals and there is a faint smell of cannabis every now and then. Locals are friendly and welcoming and there isn't the slight edge of menace you might find in Limon or Puerto Viejo. The Atlantida Lodge is about 400 meters from the town and is just the other side of the road from the beach. We stayed in a 'superior' room and were pretty happy with it, very spacious and clean, beds comfortable. No A/C but the nights were unseasonably cool, so not needed. If you are easily disturbed at night avoid rooms 13 & 14 as the howler monkeys drop half-eaten fruit on the tin rooves with a deafening crash. This happens during the night as well, not sure if this was monkeys or just falling fruit. May not happen all year round. The pool is large and clean, a few missing tiles but nothing drastic. It was a touch chilly while we were there due to the shade of the trees around. However there are howler monkeys in the trees and they are great fun to watch. There is a poolside bar and a restaurant area with tables although while we were there the food service was in another area nearer the reception. Breakfast was not included in our room rate but was about $6 per head which is about the same as any of the other places down town and was pretty good quality. Had an evening meal in the restaurant and plates seemed to be between $8-$16 dollars and the quality was good. There is ample parking and security at night. Reception staff are very laid back and friendly. The general atmosphere is Caribbean rustic, certainly not luxurious, but that was fine. Enjoyed our stay and felt it was good value for money, paid $70 per night for the 'superior' room. I would happily go again (but would pick rooms 11 & 12 if possible - less noisy at night!)

Room Tip: Avoid Superior rooms 13 & 14 as the friut falling on the tin rooves is very noisy 24 hrs a day.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ayacastle1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2012

grreat location next to beech hotel has a nice pool and gardens. In the storms we experienced all power went off leaving us in total darkness, wityh no emergency lighting. Accomodation was basic

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tallsally2323
Oakland, California
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We spent our Christmas break at Atlantida lodge and it was just as restful and relaxing as we had hoped.
The place is an awesome and ideal place for a honeymoon or for any couple who wants to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city life! We stayed in the deluxe rooms which has a spacious bathroom surrounded of walls made of corals which I never seen.

The nature and the ambiance simply amazing.

Room Tip: deluxe or suites are the best to enjoy the full experience I think
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mike463
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 16 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here for three nights on our honeymoon in September of 2011. We enjoyed our stay, but unfortunately this place is starting to become a bit run down. The hot tub which sat by the pool 3 years ago when I stayed in this hotel now sat directly outside the window of our room- empty and on its side. The advertized outdoor gym no longer seems to exist either - the pavillion under which the equipment used to sit is now roped off with caution tape. The pool is kept clean, but in need of repair. There are many areas on the bottom where the tiles are gone. Weird little "things" a little bigger than a grain of sand rained down from our ceiling at night, not sure what they were. Maybe gecko poop like a previous reviewer mentioned? This issue was by far the most bothersome to me personally, and if it had not been for this one thing, I would have given a higher rating. I don't remember this being a problem the last time I stayed, so maybe this issue plagues only the "superior" rooms, as last time I stayed in a "standard."

Despite reviews to the contrary, I believe the restaurant here was very good, though a bit overpriced. The servers were friendly and accomadating to me as a vegetarian. Many times in the states people treat it as a hassle to accomadate dishes to me, but the staff here was more than happy.

We did visit in the green season, so maybe we caught the place during renovations. While probably not the best place to stay in Cahuita, I don't believe it was the worst either. We still enjoyed ourselves.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2011

After a 10 mile hike in the park my wife and I were too tired to walk into town and this place is close to where we were staying so we stopped into the restaurant for dinner. What a mistake. We ordered a chicken salad, cocktail camerones for an appetizer, and for entrees I wanted the curry chicken and my wife had the garlic shrimp both which came with coconut rice and fried yuca (which we love). After waiting 20+ minutes our dinners come out. We both got a big scoop of plain white rice and underboiled yuca which hadn't been fried. About 10 minutes later our Cocktail Camerones and chicken salad came out. The cocktail had no sauce - zero. Very small dry shrimp on the rim of a cocktail glass which was filled with a lettuce leaf. The chicken salad had no cabbage, avocado or other advertised goodies and was basically chicken pieces with onion in a sauce thrown on a plate. Even after the removal of their "cocktail" camerones this was the single most expensive and the single worst meal we had during our week in CR. And to top that off I'd left my iPhone at the hotel and didn't have a calculator. They gave me the bill in Dollars, the credit card charge was in Colones and they overcharged my by a bunch. I'm going to have a chat with the manager in the am but this experience was horrible. AVOID THEM!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jomobco
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cahuita
1.6 km away
#1 of 12 in Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,429 reviews
17.1 km away
Le Cameleon Boutique Hotel

Been to Atlantida Lodge? Share your experiences!