“Very large, but nice”

Casa Bavaria
Price range: USD 6 - USD 25
Cuisines: Costa Rican, International
Dining options: Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Description: CASA BAVARIA ALAJUELA COSTA RICA Casa Bavaria is reborn in a new service philosophy, oriented mainly to friendly customer service and satisfaction, either local or foreign. With the recent ownership change, now of Alajuelan roots, our culinary offer is strong in exquisite flavors and delicate aromas from our national cuisine, although international food is also present. Casa Bavaria, now 100% Costa Rican, offers the visitor a special and cozy ambiance, where you can feel the peace and tranquility that emanates from every corner of this place. People who already know Casa Bavaria are faithful witnesses of this beautiful and romantic place, where we are now making an effort to improve in all aspects the attention for our clientele. To those who have visited us before, with passion and hope we invite you to come again to evaluate us and give us the necessary feedback to continue growing. Casa Bavaria is a wonderful place where you can enjoy every mouthful, because within there's the essence of mother nature: harmony and friendship. And now, for cold and mountain lovers, on the third floor of the building we offer 6 very romantic rooms, built in almond tree wood and each with thick blankets and spectacular view. Our new schedule is from 8am to 10pm everyday, and this allows us to offer great hot breakfasts, succulent lunches and romantic dinners. We have a glamorous national and international buffet, with a great variety of exquisite salads, including delicious desserts, every Saturday and Sunday starting at 12 md. For the dancers, on Friday and Saturday night from 7 to 11 pm, we offer cabin music and open a spot for you to enjoy tropical rhythms like bachata, chachacha, bolero, cumbia, salsa and merengue, accompanied by delicious pork, meat, rib entrees and more. Casa Bavaria also organizes your social events such as weddings, graduations, birthday parties, seminars, business meetings, spiritual retirements, corporate parties, among others.
Reviewed 15 April 2016

The menu was extensive, and very good. We enjoyed the service, the view and the gardens. We went with cousins.

Reviewed 30 June 2015

We had heard of Casa Bavaria, a German restaurant with a buffet. There weren't very many items to choos from that were German. It was very pricey for what was offered. There is a place for the kids to play outside, which they make sure to tell you about, but it is close to the parking lot and you can't see it from where you are seated. So either say no to the kids or you go outside and watch them. Too expensive for families and not that good of a variety of fod for the price.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

I'm a culinary student, so I know what I'm talking about. I went to Casa Bavaria with my parents for the weekend, I'll try to describe everything that happened step by step.

1. We arrived there and there was no one to receive us at the entrance, there was only an old menu and the place was empty. We figured out we had to go to the ground floor (where everyone was) by ourselves.

2. We decided to sit outside to enjoy the view. Almost all tables had dirty dishes or food crumbs, we sat in the one that was cleanest but still dirty. The waiter changed and tablecloth and that was it. Another waiter came and offered us to try the buffet, it was around $23 per person so we decided to try it.

3. All of the choices were costarican typical food, the most german thing were several options of potato salad and sauerkraut. I took white rice, fried cassava, potato salad, pork and sauerkraut. You would imagine that a place that it's advertise as a german restaurant would at least cook the pork properly but it tasted like chancleta and the sauce it had tasted like salt water, the rice didn't even had salt and it was mostly fried, the sauerkraut tasted like it was several days old, the cassava didn't even taste like anything, the only decent thing was the potato salad.

4. I asked the waiter to remove my almost full plate because it was terrible, he apologized and removed my buffet from the check. I went to the dessert table with my mom and again, all the dishes were typical costarican desserts: pan de yuca (cassava bread), tres leches, budin, the most different thing was apple pie. I took one of each and they were barely eatible. The pan de yuca was chewy and it had a little bit of wax paper on the botton, the tres leches was super dry, the budin was decent and the apple pie was burnt on both sides and it almost didn't had any filling.

5. When I asked the waiter which beers they had he mentioned around 5 national beers, when I asked for german beers he said they only had Becks, a beer I can get in AM/PM. You would imagine that they should at least have 5 german beers to choose from.

6. I have to mention that the place is very nice and the atmosphere is really cool, the view is very good but I would recommend to bring a thick jacket because it's pretty cold.

Overall, I would never go back there and I would not recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank lawra W
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I was excited to take my boyfriend to this restaurant for a special celebration, since we've been to beer gardens in Germany and he loves them, so I wanted to try and relive that experience somewhere here in CR. After looking around I decided to go to Casa Bavaria.

What a disappointing experience!

The restaurant grounds are very beautiful and well kept and the house itself does have a style that reminds you of Germany with the flag waving and everything, However that's pretty much the only “Bavarian” thing in this place.

We got to the restaurant and there was no one on the entrance from the 2nd floor, and I mean no one! It was deserted. We had to find our own way to an available table on the ground floor guided by the sound of people talking, and then wave our arms like crazy for 15 minutes before a waiter came to our table. He did not bring the "a la carte" menu, because they want you to try the buffet and that was what they offered, so, we did. We ordered our drinks and went ahead to the buffet, which was nothing impressive, all regular Costa Rican food that I could eat any day of the week at home: fish, chicken, pork, rice, "picadillo", salads etc, the selection was not bad and the food was not bad either, but I was not expecting to drive so far away from my home (around 1.30 hours) and pay $24 per person to go and eat a "casado" (typicall Costa Rican dish), I eat that every day!!!

To make things worse, they have no selection of beers whatsoever, they had the national beers, which again I can have at home for half the price, and the foreign beers they had were Paulaner, which was sold out on our visit and Oettinger which I dislike, so I ended up having a light ginger ale. When the drinks came, the waiter forgot my boyfriend’s beer….

The service, well they were nice, however no one was keeping track of who came in and who left, I swear the table in front of us had dirty dishes with food leftovers since the moment we sat down and it was not clean during the entire time we were there, the same happened with other tables as well.

All in all, this place is not worth it, I am not sure if it was better in the past (I did notice they are selling the place due to a gigantic add they have on the entrance of the restaurant, so that could explain my bad experience), or what, but calling themselves "Casa Bavaria" it’s an overstatement. I will never go back.

1  Thank Mari_RC06
Reviewed 20 June 2012

High on the slopes of Poas above Alajuela on the road past the stadium it is close to the town of Carrizal. We chose their excellent extensive Sunday buffet and imported German beer. The view of the valley from our table was fantastic. They have a website and take reservations.

2  Thank JRIowner