“Great place for adventure in Costa Rica”
Review of Tamarindo

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Atlanta, Ga
16 helpful votes
“Great place for adventure in Costa Rica”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Our family of four, plus 2 friends for the kids, rented a condo in Playa Langosta, just a few miles south of Tamarindo. We spent most of our time surfing and eating.
There were so many activities to chose from. We had rented a car for the trip and were able to explore past Tamarindo, but seldom did so.

The restaurants were reasonably priced and the service was always pretty good. The teenagers enjoyed trying a few new dishes.

We did do a horseback riding tour where we rode on the beach.
We also went deep sea fishing, caught dinner for one night. Took surfing lessons.

Everyone was very friendly. Most importantly, we were never ever bored.

miami, fl
“Cool sufer town”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

This is a small sufer town in the Guanacaste area of Costa Rica. There are so mant resaurants to choose from and many different lodging options. Its laid back with a bit of adventure!

West Coast
1 helpful vote
“Black Stallion Hills sunset horse back riding. "Amazing"”
Reviewed 6 September 2009

I started riding horses when I was just a kid so when I decided to travel to Costa Rica I new that doing just that was high on the list of activities I wanted to do. After spending two weeks touring through the mountains and rain forests, zip lining and white water rafting, I landed in the surf town of Tamarindo. After some checking around for horse back riding tours I decided on the one offered through Black Stallion Hills. I picked the package they offered because it seemed to offer more than your typical arrive get on a horse get lead around and then you're done see ya later thing. Boy was I right. When we arrived we were introduced to our guide Sydney. He's a local Costa Rican who has the biggest smile. We also met Alex and few others who work at Black Stallion Hills. After being set up on horses that matched our ability we were off on a three hour tour of the hills and valleys that surround Tamarindo. They timed the tour so that just when the sun was setting we were on a high peak facing the ocean. The site was truely amazing. I had heard that the sunsets in Tamarindo were some of the best in the world but it was more than I imagined. After we all had some time to ohh and ahh we started back down. When we arrived back at our starting point we were greeted by the site of a full on Bar-B-Q set up at their new Cafe. We all relaxed with a cool one and feasted on grilled meats, vegetables and salads. Someone, I'm not sure who, pulled out a guitar and started playing. The whole experience was laid back and I never felt like it was work for our hosts but rather their pleasure to be able to show off the sites, sounds and lifestyle they have. A big thanks to Black Stallion Hills for a memory I'll never forget.

1 Thank monkey2wn
California
“Tamarindo Base Camp”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We have been to Tamarindo 4 times. For us it serves as a base camp for surfing throughout the Guancaste area with some tourism thrown in. Unlike the other reviewers, I have no problems with the locals who are always warm and helpful. The are a fair number of non Costa Ricans, not only American but South American, Italian, Spanish, Canadian, and Swiss...all there for the same reason to enjoy the place. If you enjoy ocean recreation its a great staring point. If you are looking for pristine rain forest, a volcano, or solitude, this is not the place. But you can get there from Tamarindo.
It is a town so there are people there. Highly recommend Witches Rock Surf Camp for those who want to surf or learn to surf.

san jo
1 helpful vote
“tamarindo sportfishing”
Reviewed 29 July 2009

if you want to catch some big fish, talk to petra at tamarindo sports fishing. petra sets up everything. all my buddies and i had to do was show up. lunch and drinks were provided. captain maikel took us out on the salsa and we proceeded to catch TONS of fish. dorado, wahoo, yellowfin tuna, and one needlefish we all apart of our day's haul. captain maikell made sure was very professional and new exactly where the fish were. we were the only boat to go out that caught more than a couple of fish. i will definitely book with tamarindo sports fishing when i am back in february!

1 Thank ovrw8tluva

Been to Tamarindo? Share your experiences!