“A paradise I want to return to”

Jardin del Eden boutique hotel
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Tamarindo
Reviewed 8 August 2017

From the moment I stepped into the lobby I knew I'd made the right choice of hotel. The previous year, I'd stayed at the Esplendor up on the hill, but found it too far out of town and away from the beach. Jardin del Eden completely blew Esplendor out of the water in every way - location, style, access to beach, comfort and service. I was immediately upgraded to a sea-view room by the helpful Enrique and treated beautifully by the staff (I'm told the reason the Esplendor staff are rude is that they're Argentinian). There was a short walk down a beautifully planted path to the private beach garden - while I was there they were constructing a beachside bar, which will be open in time for the high season. As it was, though, I could use their sister hotel's bar and charge it to my room - the Diria is next door and the bar there is lively at sunset and has a happy hour. Sadly the dining was closed for the 'low season', so I went to my favourite restaurant (Patagonia) rather a lot. It's hard to say anything negative about Jardin - it felt a bit dead at night around the bar, but maybe that was the time of year. I did think the small pool next to the dining area would make the perfect swim-up bar. As I got horribly sunburnt on day one, I spent a lot of time on the poolside day-beds (cabanas) which saved my life (as did the Aftersun treatment in the spa). I can't swim so I found the shallow pool perfect for cooling off. As was my experience all over Costa Rica, it was the guests and not the staff that I found most challenging. They either ignored my very presence or stared the life out of me. In this hotel, no one spoke to each other, perhaps because they were in their nice couply bubbles, but I did find it seriously weird. I befriended a solo German traveller at the hotel and we agreed that we'd both been ignored/stared at by the couples around us. We pretended to be a fake couple to freak everyone out, ha ha. In fact, that's my only criticism of the hotel - please stop calling yourself a couples hotel. There are solo people out there who would love to stay with you and might be put off. You're an adults-only hotel and that's it. However, everything in Costa Rica is marketed at 'couples and families' - so much that I was prompted to say, 'what should us single people do?' on a few occasions. I think that may be the American influence rather than the Tico culture. Anyway - don't bother staying anywhere else in Tamarindo - JDE has it all.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea-view room
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Lisa E

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

This hotel is picturesque and the staff is amazing. The garden is beautiful and the pool area peaceful. We loved the craft cocktails at the bar/poolside. I'd highly recommend getting a massage- it was so relaxing. It's an easy quick walk to town and the beach. The private area on the beach is nicely kept up and also very peaceful.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2017

Everything about this hotel was wonderful. The grounds were absolutely beautiful. The view of the trees and ocean are out of this world. My room was very clean and nice. All the staff are very friendly as well. The beach is a 5-7 min. walk and there is a very pretty path to get there as well as to the main road. The private garden isn't directly on the beach, but it is nice that you can put your stuff down by a chair/umbrella and go into the ocean if you want to.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Everyone here was so helpful and friendly. We really enjoyed relaxing quietly by the pool in the luxurious pool side covered cabanas. They were fantastic.

It's really nice to get away and enjoy the peace and quiet in an "Adult Only" resort.

Grounds were beautiful with tons of butterflies and hummingbirds.

Close, safe and easy walk down to the beach and town.

The only negative was that we didn't have more time to stay longer.

We will definitely be back!!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

My wife & I now live in Herradura, Costa Rica. We wanted to get away for a few days & decided to drive up to Tamarindo to explore. Using TripAdvisor we selected the Jardin del Eden boutique hotel as our place to stay. Wow, are we glad we did.

Immediately upon arrival we were greeted by a very nice young lady who was exceptionally helpful answering all our questions. After checking in we went to our room (38) & couldn't have more pleased. The room was fresh, modern & in very nice condition. The balcony provided peek-a-boo views of the pool(s) & ocean/bay. The grounds were manicured to protection with many butterfly's, humming birds, parrots & parakeets. The mango trees were full of fruit attracting monkeys in the early morning hours.

The hotel stay included a wonderful complete breakfast. The staff was amazing & helpful. In the evening the restaurant provides great dinner options & a full bar. The only complaint I have was the bartender had no training & couldn't make even the most basic drinks. I ordered a martini & had to show him how to make it & point out it should be garnished with green olives. After dinner I ordered a heated gran marnier & had to show him again how to heat it up using hot water. A little training would go a long way behind the bar. Other than that the staff was very helpful & seemed to really take pride in their job.

There's a very nice gated walk path next to the pools provides quick access to the town & beaches. A 5 minute walk & your in the town center where there's an abundance of restaurants, shops, etc.. Everything is right on the beach!

We will certainly be back & highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple