“Nice hotel literally 10 steps from beach”

Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Playa Flamingo
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We got a standard king room. It was facing the parking lot and away form the pool in the basement for $520/3 nights. Wall was 1/3 way to window. BUT we loved it. No balcony or patio but a huge huge, quiet quiet room with great AC. We did not get all inclusive package as we don't drink alcohol and seemed pricey. We did get prepaid bkfast. buffet and to order food. Good buy.
ATV, kayaks etc for rent.
Lots and lots of Americans.
Hotel very nice. Not close to anything but white beach just across thin access road. All beaches in CR public. So lots of people selling things including 1 hr messages for $40 and lots of jewelry. Not offensive or pushy. Water warm in ocean. NIce sized pool. Most everyone else crowded around swim up bar leaving the rest of the pool wide open. Pool aerobics and water polo for coordinated activities.
Grounds well kept up. Lots and lots of iguanas of all sorts and birds galore. Schools of sardines near shore with sea birds dive bombing and small tuna jumping out of the water. Lots of fun to just wade in and cup hands and catch.
Restaurant very good with wide choice of food and prices for everyone.
Down the beach about 400 yd nice on the beach bar and eatery - on the sand for a change.
Basilio beach spread out. Camarone dorado (golden shrimp) restaurant will come and pick you up. Good food on the beach.
Ocean warm but warmed near Antonio Manuel National Park.

Room Tip: If you want a hammock ask for first floor rooms facing pool (smaller than those facing the parking l...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,167)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Two couples went with us to the Hotel, I had read all the reviews and contrary to the food reviews, the food was wonderful. We could not have picked a better spot for our first trip to Costa Rica!!!! The bartenders, Monolo, Elias, Manual and Leo were fantastic, they were sad when we left. The poolside lunches were great and the service was to die for. Chef Leonardo and Carlos and their staff treated us great in the dining area, great food. The rooms were also great and we were on the North side 1220, and we looked out over a small pool that had a net so we rounded up a ball and played Volleyball for a bit of exercise each morning before heading to the main pool, where Arthur led us in all kinds of fun. Flori and Dayia will hook you up with things to do and trips to take. Above all else you will need to take the Lazy Lizard Catamaran's on a sunset cruise, we saw Humpback whales up close and personal, manta rays and dolphins. All in all a great vacation, small and personal!!

1  Thank Monte W
Reviewed 4 March 2014

First, just careful of the hot water in sink and shower especially if you have children. It is scalding.
We spent 3nights here at the begging of March. The people were very nice. The hotel was pretty and in good repair. For me it was nice for the three days to just relax at the pool, but if your looking for a resort with a few restaurants and variety entertainment, this isn't it. It has one adequate restaurant which you can eat at downstairs or upstairs open air seating looking out at the shore, very nicer. One night they had a couple singing up there and we started with happy hour, 5:00-6:00, watched the sunset and had dinner up there. We even danced to the music. Great night.
There's not much else around You have to drive about 30 minutes to Tamarindo which has some shopping and restaurants. We didn't because the roads aren't that great and we had driven about 4 hours from Arenal area (great place) to get here.
There's are two pools. One is really small behind one of the buildings. The big one was very nice and had a cool swim up bar. It has two platforms with about 5 chairs on each in the pool. They're pretty nice,but the others around the pool I found uncomfortable. No cushioning. We had a balcony facing the pool which was very nice.
Now the beach; I'm kind of spoiled because I live on Long Island in New York and we have great beaches. The beach here was right across the little street. On high tide it was pretty much gone. I love the beach and swimming in the ocean but I didn't swim here. There were a lot of little fish, some bigger ones and I saw 5 sting rays near the shore. Cool to see but.....
We had the breakfast included plan. The breakfast buffet is good but I didn't realize you can ask for an omelet or fried eggs, which IS included, until the last morning.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Flamingo B, Owner at Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

We apologize for the problem you had with scalding water, obviously the thermostat on the water heater was not adjusted properly, and I have already asked our maintenance engineer to check every room and make sure that the water is not scalding. Thank you for calling our attention to that issue. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa. As a Long Island beach lover myself (from Smithtown and married to a Costa Rican) I am so surprised you didn't try swimming in our beautiful, warm water! The waves aren't any bigger than at Fire Island in the summer and the temperature of the water at Playa Flamingo is truly divine! The tides at Playa Flamingo are quite pronounced, but just as the beach almost disappears at high tide, there is a wide, flat empty beach at low tide perfect for playing, sunbathing, walking, etc. Thank you for your feedback.

Stayed 6 nights
Nice hotel with nice pool area
One problem was girl who was working as concierge not helpful never took her eyes off her iPhone during our conversation .
The catamaran trip is the best , a must do

Room Tip: Away from shopping areas
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelingagain2

Thank you for choosing the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa for your Costa Rica beach vacation. We are sorry that the concierge did not give you her full attention during your visit, and will speak to her about that lack of hospitality. Glad you enjoyed the Catamaran trip, it is a memorable excursion.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here 1/29 through 2/6. After doing my online research, I had emailed the resort to request a 2nd floor room for our stay as opposed to being half underground in a 1st floor room or climbing even more stairs to a 3rd floor room. Upon check in, the girl (who I can't remember her name) tried to give us a 3rd floor room & I thought to myself...oh no, not again...as I had gone through this before at other resorts & my reason for always emailing my room/floor request before arriving. After explaining to her I had previously sent an email to their hotel website with my request & offered to show her the copy of it which I had with me, all of a sudden a 2nd floor room became available.

We liked the location of our room, #2215, which had a nice view over the pool area with a partial view of the ocean. It was probably the 5th room in from one end of the building & close enough to the ocean that you could hear the waves crashing while out on the balcony, nice! Had no complaints with the room itself, was clean & beds were comfortable & maid service was fine, even though one day we didn't have enough washcloths but that was remedied the next day. Plus, I was happy to see we had a dresser in our room with drawers, so that we could even unpack some of our clothes for our week stay. A nice little perk were the small little toiletry samples of shampoo, conditioner, hand lotion provided along with the usual body soap. Enjoyed the large balcony with the lighted ceiling fan also & a mini fridge is provided along with snacks if one wishes to partake in for a cost, a room safe also provided.

We arrived early enough to be able to check in, get in our bathing suits & hit the pool to just chill & relax after a tiring day of travel. While sitting at the swim up bar waiting for a drink seemed to take forever, bartender Elias seemed more intent on serving & visiting with other customers while I continued to wait & as I was getting ready to make my presence more known to him that I continued to wait...he finally took my drink order. He seemed to get a little more attentive over my week stay however, I was always served more promptly by more friendly bartender Manolo who seemed to be more customer oriented. Drinks were usually good but sometimes had to ask for more alcohol in them. All inclusive did not include premium liquor & would sometimes have to sign for drinks & food during stay which was explained that was for inventory purposes, even though we were staying all inclusive.

Although there is only one restaurant on the premises, I found there was enough variety in the food selections to not be redundant. All inclusive includes the breakfast, lunch & dinner buffets & food ordered through the swim up bar as well. We mainly did the buffets but another option is to order off the menu for a price for whatever is not included in the all inclusive package. We liked the option of either dining on the main floor inside, or outside on the open air patio or on the upper level, we liked the comfortable setting with the bar, tables & couches to just relax & enjoy the warm breezes & a sunset view. On only one day I had ordered an omelet that quite frankly was not so good, so I was hoping this was just a bad day. That proved to be just that one day, omelets I had after that were very good. I'm really picky about how my scrambled eggs are done & every morning I had the scrambled eggs, were delicious & done just the way I like them!! My only wish was that there was more of a variety of fish offered, was mainly sea bass in the buffets which I'm not a big fan of, did like the "fish fingers" though. Would like to acknowledge Leonardo, as one of the cooks, who we thought did a good job providing a tasty, variety of food. Service sometimes a little slow in the restaurant, but hey, you're on vacation & service was always friendly with a smile, much appreciated. Excellent Costa Rican coffee served in the mornings, loved that, just wish they had offered a more rich, half & half to go along with such good coffee.

The resort itself is only 120 rooms altogether, which I prefer over large, mega resorts. I found the majority of the staff to be very helpful & friendly & must acknowledge Fiona, I believe that's her name, as the hotel concierge who was very helpful to us in arranging some of tours we took, we appreciated her for doing such a good job! Same goes for the front desk staff, always helpful & friendly. There was only one time we did not receive a requested wake up call that was requested from the night before from a female front desk person I spoke to, oh well. We ended up being awake early anyway, the other calls we made to the front desk to gentlemen we spoke to for requested wake up calls we did receive.

We thought the location was very nice, just have to cross a not very busy road to get to the beach area. We chose Playa Flamingo beach to stay after reading it was a more passive beach area good for swimming. I never did venture into the ocean as every time I observed the waves, they seemed too big for my comfort level & I witnessed some people actually getting pummeled by the waves, some days were worse than others. One day even heard a visitor remark there were small sting rays in the water close to shore. After all, this is the Pacific ocean & not as calm as the Caribbean ocean, wasn't really an issue for me since I enjoyed the massive pool every day with the convenient swim up bar. The resort has convenient access for ATV tours or water sports/activities on their property. We did the ATV tour & were able to see other beaches in the area...Brasilito & Playa Conchal & actually I liked Playa Flamingo the best!

Playa Flamingo isn't really a city or town so shopping is limited in the area. The resort has 2 small gift shops off the lobby area & across the street is a little plaza that has a couple more shops with a couple of restaurants, Marie's & Angelina's. A short 10 minute cab ride to closest little town of Brasilito has better prices in their souvenir shops, along with a few restaurants that line the beach area there, very nice little town with friendly locals. Bigger, touristy town of Tamarindo a little further away.

A couple of little glitches that happened during my stay as mentioned above wouldn't prevent me from giving an excellent review of this resort. Overall, I found the majority of the staff here to be very accommodating, friendly & helpful. I cannot agree with some other negative reviews about staff, resort being outdated, pools dirty, food, etc. Granted, reviews are made based on personal experience & mine was a positive one by far. Enjoyed my stay here with friendly, helpful, smiling staff, willing to accommodate their customer's needs. Beautifully landscaped property with clean rooms, nice open air lobby, large clean pool & good food in a scenic location on the beach. I've traveled to some caribbean islands where although the sights were beautiful, they were lacking in customer service & friendliness with some of the locals being downright rude. For example, my friend was asked by one of the hotel's staff on our departure if there was anything they could improve upon. This was impressive & proves that this resort is striving to do their best to satisfy their customers that they would take the time to ask for suggestions for improvement! For the first time visitor to Costa Rica enjoy this beautiful, friendly country & I can personally recommend this resort for an enjoyable vacation!

Room Tip: Recommend a second floor room overlooking the pool, closer to the ocean.
4  Thank burnsyislandgirl

We really appreciate your taking the time to write such a detailed and comprehensive review of your recent stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, and are certainly pleased that you gave us such high marks. It is quite true that we are doing our best to satisfy our customers and we thank you for acknowledging that and for such a nice recommendation! Hope you'll come back and see us again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Flamingo
11.2 km away
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
Hotel Riu Guanacaste
#1 of 1 in Playa Matapalo

Been to Flamingo Beach Resort And Spa? Share your experiences!