2,319 results
All reviewsswim up baracross the streetall inclusive planall inclusive packagecosta ricabreakfast planping pongsunset loungepool viewarenas restaurantwater aerobicspura vidanight lifelounge chairssmall casinodestination weddinglarge pool
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Came with one of my friends to stay here at the end of January to stay for a week. The room was nice and clean. Wifi was great! Buffet food was good. Had lots of options. Not a really good place for young or singles because there isn't very many of either. Gets quiet at night so definitely explore Tamarindo for night life. Beach was nice.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lalilove
Flamingo B, Owner at Margaritaville Beach Resort Playa Flamingo, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts on your stay at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa, and for your postive comments. We are happy you had no problems with the WiFi, because it is a service that we do everything in our power to provide at top-quality, but frequent service outages by the government-owned provider are completely out of our control, and we are frustrated that our guests believe that we are the ones not providing this service as promised. You are correct in saying that the Flamingo Beach area is relatively quiet in terms of nightlife. Tamarindo is 20 minutes away and definitely has more bars, surf culture and such. At the same time, many of our guests do like the peaceful, unhurried charm of our beach as well. Thank you so much for your comments; we hope you will come back and visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We traveled to Flamingo Beach Resort which we were sent to by Gate One Travel after finding Sol Samara to be unsuitable. We paid the upgrade for a suite (which we were never in) which was great. The rooms are lovely and the towells very plush. We wish we could have had our parents in the adjoining room, but that room wasn't available. We all paid the upgrade for all inclusive even though my father in law drinks very little as the hotel prices for food were expensive and after traveling for several days we were happy to just stay put. We thought the food was very good and enjoyed the chef who came out and spoke to us after each dinner. Oscar and Patricio were great in the dining room. We asked for poached eggs one morning and when we requested Hollandaise, it was delivered quickly even though the cook had no English and we spoke no Spanish! Gravin and the female bartender were great at the swim up bar. We enjoyed the pool a lot and just moved towells when people didn't appear. This happens at every all inclusive and it irritating, but the offenders know they are wrong and will usually understand when their towells are moved. Lulu led water aerobics and that was fun and I didn't see any dance lessons. This is a no frills, no entertainment resort. Food is good, rooms, linen and water pressure were great. We had WIFI in our room tho' maybe because we were in corner suite on third floor. It would have been nice to check out restaurants nearby but we enjoyed our stay here to simply relax at the end of a very active trip. We did do a horseback ride which I contracted on my own by watching them ride by the hotel. I wanted a one hour trip and paid $50 for two of us for the hour. I also recommend OMA, the masseuse extraordinaire which operates from a grove of trees on the beach to the left of the hotel. She was booked but everyone I spoke with RAVED about her!! Front desk guy, Charlie was very helpful when we checked in. We checked ouit the casino quickly one night, nothing to rave about there. Overall, we enjoyed the Flamingo Resort, tho can't comment on the spa.

Room Tip: Apparently stay away from the lower level. No elevator, so if you can't do stairs, be aware.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Pambo816

We really appreciate that you chose the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa for your recent Costa Rica beach vacation! We are very, very glad that we were able to provide the quality and service you expect in a vacation getaway. We appreciate your compliments to our hard-working staff and are very pleased that you enjoyed the food at the resort, and your time around our lovely pool. It is totally annoying that some guests are inconsiderate and leave their towels on chaises to "hold" them for the entire day---you totally did the logical thing in moving towels of guests that weren't present! It is something that we regret happens, but unfortunately it's very hard to stop. Please come back and try our Serenity Spa. I am sure you will find the health and beauty treatments to be excellent and our spa facilities are comfortable and luxurious. Thanks again for your kind words in this forum.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel is in a mission to make buck. The system implemented there is design to make maximum profit. For example there are posters everywhere: Why go out? eat in our restaurant (questionable selection and quality).
They want you to buy everything from them - for premium price. You can get everything (services, food, trips) outside the resort for less.
Service people you meet every day are very nice and accommodating, I did not have contact with management.
Vegetable lovers - be prepared for fasting, no vegetables there. Definitely place not for vegetarians.

Room Tip: The higher the better, Very few rooms with ocean view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aszrem

Thank you for your recent stay at our resort. I am very sorry you misconstrued our efforts to encourage guests to try our restaurant. We are currently revamping our Food & Beverage department to improve service and quality. While it is true that there are services available outside the resort for lower prices, we also know that there are very unscrupulous, fly-by-night "pirate" operators of tours and services who have no professional training, no insurance, no standards, etc., and for health and safety reasons we try to only recommend licensed professionals with excellent reputations and standards. We are very sorry that this policy gets misinterpreted, because our guests are totally free to come and go as they please and hire whomever they want for tours and services, and eat wherever they like in the local area. Also, we certainly do offer several vegetarian dishes on our menu and our Chef is always willing and able to make up special plates for those following any particular diet. We are sorry this was not communicated better in your case. Now that our high season is ending we are also beginning an intensive customer service program to improve our staff's communication with our valued guests. We do value your business and regret that you were less than satisfied with your stay.

Reviewed 24 April 2012

My parents came to visit me for a week, and I managed to get away from the city (and working 60 hours a week) with them and my tico boyfriend. My parents' room had an ocean view, and our bedroom was connected to the huge living room in their room by a double door type of thing. This hotel had everything that I like - easy beach access, a swim-up bar and a great pool, a spa, gym, and breakfast included. I have nothing to complain about other than falling asleep during my hot stone massage because it was so relaxing. I was even able to request my mojito with Cahuita so it was a coconut mojito! The front desk was also able to help us with recommendations of where to eat. I don't have any complaints, really. Plus, if you're the type of person that needs a hotel with A/C and WiFi, then you're in luck! The WiFi works better in the lobby, but I was able to catch some signal from my room. I would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: If you can score an ocean view room, the sunsets are awesome :)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Flamingo B, Owner at Margaritaville Beach Resort Playa Flamingo, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you so much for staying with us at the Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa and for writing this lovely review on Trip Advisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your vacation in every way and wish to recommend us to others. Aren't those hot stone massages in the Spa just amazing?!

Reviewed 22 April 2012

This hotel promises free and fast WiFi in the rooms and common areas (had to do some work while vacationing). This is NOT true. We had no connection in our hotel room, and no one was even remotely interested in helping us. I call this false advertising. I had to down to the lobby every time I wanted to go online, which was very inconvenient.
I also purchased the Birthday package, which was supposed to include a cake, but we never got one. That option is not a good deal, you are better off with a regular hotel rate.
They also told me over the phone, and in the front lobby that breakfast was $10pp. Nobody explained, that this is only if you purchase the breakfast option at the reception ahead of time. We were presented with a bill for $60 (2 adults+2 kids), which is quite ridiculous considering what they serve for breakfast. Luckily, we had a car, and went to Pollo Tropical for breakfast every morning during our stay.
That being said, if you travel with kids, this is a very good place to stay. The pool is big, and the location on the beach makes it a very convenient place to stay. We will never return to this hotel, as there are many other wonderful places to stay in Costa Rica. I suggest the management take some time to work on their customer service.

Room Tip: The family room was very spacious for a family of four.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SanDiegoSoccermom

Thank you for your recent stay at our resort and for sharing your comments in this forum. We are very sorry we did not meet your expectations. We apologize for your WiFi problems but we must continually explain the fact that we are subject to the local service provider whose signal is not consistent in our area. Frequent power outages and surges from the government electric company in Guanacaste add to the problem. We have invested in excellent WiFi equipment and would love to have perfect Internet service for our guests, but it is out of our control. Now, on the other hand, there is no excuse at all for not having your birthday cake! We are so sorry that this happened and will vow to make it up to you in a big way if you are willing to come back for a return visit. We are also working on our communication skills at the front desk since our breakfast plan was not properly explained to you. We appreciate the issues you have brought to our attention, so that we can continually strive to do a better job. So sorry we missed the mark in your case.