“A jewel in Costa Rica!”

GreenLeadersGold level
East Hampton, New York
“A jewel in Costa Rica!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

It was the most cleanest place I have ever been to. The staff there were so nice, I left many tips! When we got there it was a night so we had dinner at the lobby's French restaurant called Cauri. IT WAS DELICOUS! After our fantastic meal, the golf cart took us to our room. We had a family suite which was so clean! Since it was late out, the kids went straight asleep. The next day we had breakfast at Mitra which was an amazing buffet! Then we checked out the beach which was beautiful! Eric Garcia told us much about the beach, he was a VERY HELPFUL guy. He told us about the adventures we could book at such a low price! We did surfing and ATVing. The whole deal of this hotel is inclusive! So all of your meals were free! We got back yesterday and terribly miss the Westin! I highly recommend staying here for you Costa Rica getaway!

Room Tip: Try the family suite if you have a big family because they have connecting rooms, cookies, and robes...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Reed J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,405)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Amazing Country with great people at a paradise resort. Not much to complain about. OMG-The food was delicious every where in the resort!!! The slightest downside; nightlife was a bit weak and our bathroom tub was built lousy in the junior room. It has a nasty slope on the entrance and the enclosure could be a bit better. But what an amazing time at a beautiful place!!!!! Can't wait to go back!!!!
I highly recommend to do business with Eric on the beach. My wife and I went horseback riding (2 hours) through him and it was absolutely gorgeous at sunset!
Many thanks to him and Tio Charlie!
--Miguelito-NY

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank MiguelitoM123
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

My wife and I just returned from our stay at the Westin and it was wonderful. I was a little worried after reading reviews late last year but they proved to false or were taken care of by Westin. We stayed in a Royal Beach Junior Suite and the room was great--looked out on the beach and ocean. Check in went well and was nice that it was private and not in the main lobby. I had preordered some flowers and wine for the room and everything was in place when we got to our room. The room was cleaned promptly every morning and our butler David was fantastic. He provided us with several surprises upon our return to the suite after dinner since it was our 25th wedding anniversary--this was a very nice touch. I had set up a series of private tours with Swiss Travel [Naldo] and they were very well done and really gave us a feel for Costa Rica and allowed us to view some amazing sites. Our personal guide Allen was outstanding--his knowledge of wildlife, the landscape and the country itself was exactly what I was looking for in a tour and guide. I would highly recommend using them if you are planning on going to the volcano, zip lining, etc. The meals were very good and the service was professional and quick. My only complaint would be as others have expressed was the reservation system. Although I had made reservations for every night for our 7 day stay 3 times we showed up for dinner and had no reservation. I must say that they immediately made it right and was not a problem. The same problem proved true with reserving bikes, etc. The guest services manager did stop me at the pool one day and asked me about my stay and expressed to me that they knew they had a reservations problem and were trying to get it corrected. It certainly did not adversely affect my stay. We have traveled extensively all over the world and while the Westin was not the best place we have ever stayed it was quite nice and I would recommend it to friends. It is like any other trips we have taken you have to do your homework regarding your room location at the resort, research your trips, have patience, and relax and enjoy Costa Rica.

6 Thank Steven B
Toms River, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

after an eco tour throughout the beautiful country of Costa Rica, we were looking forward to a cool and relaxing stay at the Westin. We had a room by the ocean, but with a garden view. The room was beautiful and well maintained. We did get to relax since the tours being offered by the hotel had for the most part been covered on our previous week's eco adventure.
We had a concierge at our service, but even he could not get us dinner reservations on the nights nor times we requested. The restaurants that require reservations, though, were not full, so this may just be a ploy to get you to eat at the mediocre buffet. The concierge was very professional, yet neglected to share some of the amenities that our suite included. Shame on us for not reading up on everything. By this time it seems we had adapted to the Pura VIda lifestyle and just "let it go" and enjoyed our stay.
The main pool was crowded and even ran out of towels on one of the days of our stay. We opted to use our "adults only" pool, which was quiet and never crowded.
Don't knock yourself out trying to eat at one of the reservation restaurants - just go and they will seat you. Getting a drink was never ever a problem either.
All in all, if we were the types to return to the same place again, we would consider the Westin.
FYI - bring a flashlight, since the walking paths at night are poorly lit and there is plentiful nocturnal wildlife. We even had the pleasure of having a howler monkey on our verandah. Don't know who was more startled!
Enjoy your trip to this lovely country full of friendly and courteous people.

Room Tip: try not to get a room by the "Main" reception. Rooms by the ocean are quieter, but are hig...
2 Thank Bea635
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

The westin playa conchal was amazing. Very big resort but transportation is always available. My husband and I loved it soooo much we are going back next year.

I must say I read a few negative reviews but the reality is you are never going to make everyone happy. If you are easy to please and not too picky this resort is a 5 star plus. In the reviews I also read that the employees were unfriendly (also not true). You get what you give. We were treated like royalty. Even when you went to the beaches when you told the vendors you weren't interested they never bothered you again. Remember these people too are trying to support their families. A lot ot the employees on the resort don't get to see their families for days or a weeks at a time because they have to work far from their homes.

If you don't like a huge resort then don't go here but if you don't mind walking or catching a ride it is beautiful. Very clean, lots to do and the scenery is exotic.

I love the Westin Playa Conchal and believe me if there is anything you need or want the concierge will take care of you.

Room Tip: We had the junior deluxe suite-loved it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Conchal
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 7 in Playa Flamingo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,975 reviews

Been to The Westin Golf Resort & Spa, Playa Conchal? Share your experiences!