All reviewstree housesoccer fielddeluxe bungalowla fortunafamily that ownscosta rican familyjungle viewwonderful familyevery morningproyecto asisminute drivetwo queen bedsfruits and vegetablesbusy towncosta rican mealssatellite tvnight walk
Reviewed 24 September 2017 via mobile

A mixed experience at Heliconas. Firstly, the service was easily a 5. Reception booked trips for us, gave advice on puncture repairs, booked us a brilliant bird guide, did complementary laundry and much more. The atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly and I couldn't fault it. Breakfast was good with plenty of choice, the juice was from a carton but otherwise it was excellent.
However, we stayed in a tree house which was set to be the highlight of our trip. The room was spacious, the bed was really comfy and it had everything we needed which was fab, but....It was overlooking the car park and restaurant which wasn't at all what I had in mind, I wanted to be surrounded by trees in a secluded spot, not listening to slightly drunk people laughing. Some of the deluxe bungalows are in a more peaceful area and my advice would be to stay in them.
Location wise, I'd say you need a car, it's a 20 minute drive from Arenal which we did every day and most evenings with no problems. Nearby I'd highly recommend Finca Luna Nueva for their chocolate tour and restaurant.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robyn W
Reviewed 24 August 2017

I can't say enough wonderful things about this Lodge. Family owned and well maintained. The owners are incredibly wonderful and fun. We really felt like part of the family. I highly recommend to families, couples, etc. My kids used the pool, the soccer field and the trampoline. Our room was great, with amazing views of the jungle and a front porch with rocking chairs. Oscar, Omar, Alejandro and Alex were very welcoming and wonderful people. I highly recommend this lodge and I would stay again. The homemade rum was amazing!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank redheadmc89
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

Words can't describe how lovely this place is. My flight into Costa Rica arrived late in the evening, and the Manager, Oscar, picked me up two hours away in San Jose. He was super friendly, as with all the staff, most notably, Alejandro! We stayed in the Sloth bungalow which had amazing jungle views. Had a wonderful terrace with two hammocks for relaxing. We went on a day tour which I highly recommend. It included; hiking through the jungle with hanging bridges, a volcano hike, Hike to Aranel Waterfall, and the Baldi Hot Springs. Our tour guide, Ischmael was so great. Super friendly and knowledgeable. I had mentioned that I loved sloths so he took us to a restaurant/market where he knew the owner. The owner had rescued a 6 month old sloth. We were able to hold her and feed her milk from the bottle! Definitely a highlight of the trip! The grounds were beautiful. It was peaceful with sounds of nature all around. The rooms were really nice as well. I would recommend this place to anyone going to Aranel/La Fortuna! It was a great trip!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandra T
Reviewed 15 August 2017

I stayed here as part of a family vacation in Costa Rica in August, what a lovely, relaxing, refreshing and unique place. But first lets start off with what this place is not - because i think that is important and it will make sure that the right people go here. So this place is not The Springs Resort and Spa in La Fortuna which is home to The Bachalorette or some other reality tv show, this place is equally not The Tabacon in Fortuna which is a lovely place and would be a great honeymoon destination. This place is a unique and very private little resort which has been almost entirely built by Oscar and his father - who is a carpenter. THere are a series of lovely little cabinas on the property - some are called 'Glass houses' and have windows on all sides, some are delux cabins (we had one of these) and some are tree houses. I think the Delux cabins are great as they are nestled right next to the jungle with a balcony that you can sit on and watch the bird life (which is amazing), the squirrels and the monkeys, it truly is very relaxing. The buildings are made of lovely wood and are impeccably clean and prepared, there is a little fridge in each one which is nice to have, comfortable beds and good air conditioning. Oscar ad his family are cultivating the land to grow the food for the kitchen which is simple but traditional - rice and beans with chicken, great fresh fruit, simple, but not boring comida tipicas.

The location of the place is the only other thing that you need to consider - this lodge is about 25 minutes outside of La Fortuna which is where most of the Jungle activities happen - so you have to be prepared to make that trip, we had a hire car which made this very easy, but you will want to go into La Fortuna either through transport or driving yourself.

I liked Oscar and his family - all of whom are working hard to make this place into something very special. i also respect the fact that they are not trying to make it a place for everybody - some people will want much more razzmatazz than here, there are no rewards points or loyalty programs here, just nice people who are quietly enjoying a different type of lifestyle.

Room Tip: i think it is worth going for a delux bungalow to get the jungle solitude
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank ElRatler
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

Amazing!! We stayed at this Tico family owned lodge and loved it! It is a small lodge with 18 bungalows, that has a friendly staff and beautiful well maintained natural grounds. A delicious breakfast is included with fresh fruit and made to order entrees.

My family of four stayed in a deluxe bungalow, which is a good size accommodation with two queen beds, big bathroom, small refrigerator, and outdoor sitting/hammock area that faces the jungle. Although we didn't see any animals, some guests do. It is a 20-30 minute drive to La Fortuna. After a day of hiking, rafting or zip lining, it was nice to come back to our bungalow to relax in the hammocks and enjoy the peacefulness. Heliconias Nature Lodge is a wonderful Costa Rican experience!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family