See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 January 2017

While traveling to Cartago by myself to have major dental surgery. I was trying to find a hotel near my doctor, but this was the busy season and Grandpas was booked , I decided to call . A voice answer the phone in perfect English "Gustavo" after explaining my plans , and need stay for 7 days. he said that he could accommodate me for 5 of the 7days but the following weekend was booked solid, we agreed to the 5 days. Two days later I met a young man with the biggest smile. Gustavo made me feel at home right away. I cannot go into every detail, but I was in pretty bad shape after surgery. Gustavo and his staff Fernando and Edgar went way beyond what any hotel would do. Their caring and compassion was truly overwhelming. Truly Grateful.

Room Tip: cabin rooms beautiful veiws
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2017

Grandpas is a great hotel! The hotel is efficiently ran by Gustavo Fernandez, and the staff is just amazing (efficient and always helpful)

The hotel is located on the road to Irazu volcano. The rooms (huts, cabins and suites) are very comfy and the views to Cartago city and Orosi Valley are superb.

This is a very nice place to enjoy for a typical Costa Rican vacation: full nature + fresh clean air + great views + accessibility to go biking and hiking

Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2016 via mobile

Once you eventually find grandpas it is superbly placed for visiting Irazu volcano. Probably the closest decent accommodation.
Irazu is about half an hour away on the same road and should be visited early to avoid clouds and crowds. The cabins are private, spacious and comfortable and really give you the outback feeling. Breakfast is good and early, to get to the volcano at opening time. Friendly and helpful staff. If the weather is good the views are fantastic. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2016

If you are looking for a really nice, quiet, comfortable place to visit in Cartago with a beautiful views of the city, Orosi Valley, mountains and stunning sunset views, this is the place. This hotel is located on the way to Irazu volcano and really close from Cartago city.

I went to this place with a couple of friends after 2 hours or MTB and definitely breakfast there was our Prize for a really hard MTB session. Tavo (Manager and owner) was great offering outstanding customer service and support during our visit.

I recommend this place for families, group of friends or just to go there and spend a couple of hours looking the great views and drinking really good coffee !!!!

If you want to spend more time at this hotel, I also recommend to bring your MTB/Road bike and be prepare to have fun !!!!

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 July 2016 via mobile

Do you want to stay in a hotel where you are greeted with smiles and treated like family? Grandpas Hotel is the place. It is operated by Gustavo Fernandez. The main building was the home of his grandparents. The hacienda now houses the hotel lobby, dining area, porch and 2 large suites. Farmland surrounds the hotel. His father still cultivates strawberries in the rich mountain soil of the Irazu Volcano. We stayed in one of the lovely little houses, a rustic cabin.

The hotel overlooks the beautiful Orosi Valley, a great destination for a day trip. The modest price is a bargain for travelers looking for a vacation typical Costa Rican style.

The mountain air is cool and refreshing. We noticed that many interested in exercising were attracted to Grandpas. We saw lots of bikers and runners.

The nearby town of Cot has a lovely Catholic church where we were able to attend Mass. We also visited the beautiful basilica in Cartago and enjoyed visiting its mercado- market- another super day trip!

Our stay was delightful, and we can't wait to return.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family