“An excellent escape”
Review of Hotel Mi Tierra

Hotel Mi Tierra
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Alajuela
Reviewed 8 December 2011

Not only was Hotel Mi Tierra a perfect place to begin our trip because of the relaxing atmosphere and friendly staff, they became our informal trip planners too. Roberto was incredibly helpful with advice (choosing the Pacific over the Caribbean coast because of weather) and he arranged a fantastic river rafting trip at the last minute for the Rio Pacuare, which was the highlight of an amazing trip. The rooms are spare but clean and the electronic "suicide" showers provide a steady stream of warm water, plus the breakfasts are delicious - fresh fruit, gallo pinto, toast, and eggs. If you're looking for a five-star resort, this isn't the place to be, but it's a wonderful introduction to Tican hospitality and relaxation. We had a great time and would recommend this to any of our friends.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a bathroom ensuite. To reach the shared bathroom, you have to go outside, which c...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hana B

Reviewed 6 December 2011

Every time i fly into san jose to start or finish my vacation I will stay at Hotel Mi Tierra. The rooms are clean, the breakfast is tasty and the staff is awesome. Also if you are into things like kayaking or rafting Roberto(the owner) is very knowledgeable. In general i found the staff to go above and beyond to make sure your stay was comfortable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sarah P
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I stayed several nights at Mi Tierra, and was in 3 different rooms over the week or so. They have great accommodations for families. It is very reasonably priced, and they provide a great Costa Rican breakfast with fruit, gallo pinto, eggs, coffee and bread with butter and yummy guava jam. I'd recommend this place to anyone who wants to check out the Central Valley - it's really close to all of the buses, and Roberto, Ivanya and their staff are very helpful in providing maps and instructions about taking the abundant public transportation. Not fancy, but safe, clean and a great starting and ending place for your trip, close to the airport, cab costs about $4 to the airport.

Room Tip: Not for those who want American-style accommodations...this is a Costa Rican hotel. Great place!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Louise K
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I stayed in this hotel for one night because it was very close to the airport and I had an early flight the next day (7:10 a.m.). I had heard of this hotel through one of the guides in Tortuguero so I decided to book it. I booked a shared bathroom for $35. When I arrived the woman who helped me said that the room that was booked was for a private bathroom for $40.

I attempted to tell her that I had booked the shared bathroom she was dismissive and said they were too full for her to switch me. She said it was a misunderstanding and left it at that. It was my last night in Costa Rica and I had such a great time I was fine with paying $5 more. The woman was not very friendly and had a stolid look on her face most of the time. I can't comment on the food as I left too early for having breakfast there. They had one computer for guests to use, which was nice. The wifi does not work in the rooms so you will have to use it in the common area.

The room was tiny and the bathroom equally so. The hot water worked only if you make sure you use very little. If you turn it all the way you will only get cold water. There were college students staying there and they were very loud playing their ipod in the common area drunk...dancing and singing.

This area of San Jose is a lot better than downtown, that's for sure. It is safer and had more of a family feel to it. I really liked this area and felt safe walking around at night by myself.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Travelyoganut
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I have stayed here several times and Roberto is great. It is different than most Americans are used to but if you are staying awhile he will give you the best thing to do on the day you are there. The way I have stayed the last few times is a few days when you land and a few days before you take off. If you don't have anything planned just stay a week or two and he will give you a great schedule based on what you are interested in.

Room Tip: The weather and amount of people interested in doing things is a big factor with regards to the expe...
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family