All reviewsbig roomnanjing streetpudong airportbund areachinese foodwalking distancechinasubwaytaxiconference
Reviewed 20 October 2015

The hotel is located on the backside of Fudan campus area and virtually next door to Shanghai University for Finance and Economics. It is a pleasant 20-minute walk to Fudan main area, mostly through the lively campus.

If you have business with either of these universities, the location is ok, even a good one. However, Crowne Plaza is unbeatably convenient for Fudan. Were you staying in Shanghai for pleasure, I would advice to get a hotel from a more central location.

The distance to the nearest metro stop Jiangwan Town (line 3) is around 500 m. However, this line is not the most convenient to reach interesting leisure spots (unlike line 10 on the other side of the Fudan campus). The busses stopping in front of the hotel however enhance the connectivity. The connection to/from the Pudong airport with three consecutive metros and Maglev is more convenient than it sounds.

The taxis are cheap, which means you don’t have to worry about the transit connections especially when returning home at the evening or night. Just be sure you have the hotel name and address written in Chinese on a piece of paper (or show it to the driver from your smart phone).

The room layout and size equaled many five star hotels. The decoration was slightly less tasteful, but ok for a four-star hotel it claims to be. However, light-coloured surfaces including a small sofa, floors, and some walls had unacceptably many stains. I presume most could have been easily cleaned, had someone made an extra effort. Annoyingly many signs of improper maintenance were also visible in several renovating “fixes” done without finishing up to detail. For good or bad, after few days in China, the eye gets used to such shortcomings. The level of daily cleaning was nonetheless satisfactory.

I tried the breakfast once, but wasn’t impressed either by the Chinese or Western selection, and did not return. The wifi included in the price and worked well. The cleaning included proving a couple of bottles of drinking water each day. The reception service was ok. I hope the Chinese guests would respect better the non-smoking floors.

I agree with Trip Advisor community that Crowne Plaza Fudan is the best hotel in the area (based on my two stays there I would also give 5/5). However, if you want or need to stay in a slightly (30-40%) more affordable place, Howard Johnson can be an ok alternative. Compared to Crowne Plaza, the difference in price equals the difference in quality.

Stayed: October 2015
1  Thank SampHel
Reviewed 31 July 2015 via mobile

At this moment, I have not yet checked in. In fact, the majority of people have not.

I am here at this hotel for a competition involving around 200 people. We have all booked our rooms in advance, but when arriving, are told that we have to wait for our rooms. When I arrived and asked about checking in, I was told that I had to wait an hour. After that hour, I went to the front desk again, only to be informed that I would have to wait another three hours before even being able to check in.

Considering that we are all here on business and with much to prepare for (as well as the fact that when everyone's rooms were booked, it was guaranteed to be ready by the time we arrived at noon), this is entirely unprofessional.

I would have expected a lot more from a hotel that claims they are at the level of four or five stars.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 June 2015

Clean hotel. Good size rooms. Very helpful staff.

I was surprised that with a western named hotel the restaurant staff were not familiar with "Boiled Egg". The vegetarian selection was VERY poor. All we had was Cereal and fruit. Most meals had eggs in them.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2015

Stayed during trade show in china. Average hotel, Breakfast is basic, Rooms are good and they have a choice of pillows which is great. location in a it far most city attractions. Not recommended for people for tourism.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business
HOJOCaida, Guest Relations Manager at Howard Johnson Caida Plaza Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2015

Dear customer, thank you for choosing stay in our hotel and given us evaluation, We are looking forward to your visit again.

Reviewed 15 October 2014

Good hotel with all amenities including a decent gym. Breakfast very good and location in a marketplace. The ac works when we sleep but after some time they turn it off I think, so one has to open the windows otherwise it gets warm and stuffy. Beds are good and they have a choice of pillows which is great. There is a coffee maker in the room.
If any Indian tea addict is travelling to China , I suggest you bring your own tea bags and milk sachets as many might not be able to adjust to the tea they serve here.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher levels- less noise
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled with friends