“Great hotel”

Kingswell hotel Shanghai
Ranked #210 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 11 October 2010

All beds in China are apparently hard as a rock, so I can't fault Days Hotel for the hard mattress. But it was a very clean hotel, service was good, the hotel food was good, and it is very close to Tongji University and the Metro station. My room was very large, very comfortable. There was a good bit of construction noise outside, but that seems to be the norm in Shanghai.

Downside: high speed internet was not very reliable, and it was not wireless.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank psparks60
There are newer reviews for Kingswell hotel Shanghai

Reviewed 18 September 2010

I stayed in this hotel while attending a conference at Tongji University. Having read the reviews here I was prepared for a disappointing experience, however that was not the case at all. The hotel is smart, clean and staff have been friendly, and the decor seems to be fresh. The 4 star rating is appropriate and what one would expect of China. (I've stayed in other hotels in Shanghai, Beijing, Wuhan, Hangzhou and Nanjing). I stayed in a single room on floor 6. Location-wise it is brilliant for Tongji University, and while there are limited shopping/eating experiences nearby the Metro line 10 is a very short walk away on Siping Road. The comments below about it being marooned in a wasteland of construction are also not true, not now. The pace of development in Shanghai is such that one cannot rely on reports like this, and buildings appear and disappear. This has been especially the case this year with the EXPO.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank OxoHuguenot
Reviewed 27 November 2009

My father stayed here for two nights in Nov 2009. On the second day, I drove there to take my father to a hospital nearby for a medical check. I was considering to extend for another night, so I wanted to make a quick park-n-extend.

Their security guard created so many request on my parking. I was in a hurry and muttered that it was a waste of my time. That security guard put his face against mine and shouted at me. He even invited me to make complaint on him. I was shocked. I asked their duty manager to deal with this matter and requested an apology. The security guard evaded into their office and never refused to come out again. The duty manager failed to give any acceptable explanation on this matter.

I will never recommend this hotel. That is not a security guard. I think it is not secure dealing with them anyway.

The security guard is Sammy Zhu and the duty manager Andy Qian.

Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank neverdaysinn
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I stayed here in November 2008 because it was the venue of a conference. Room very clean, comfortable, and well equiped with facilities and items. Very nice and polite hotel staffs from reception counter, restaurant even the housekeeping. I enjoyed staying here. The only weakness is difficult to get shopping centre or hawker centre (for good and tasty food) within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 June 2009

My wife and I were in Shanghai for a couple of days while in transit to Tibet . Knowing that Shanghai was not our final destination, our travel agent booked us at that Days Inn. Certainly a clean and well kept hotel with excellant staff. However, if you expect to control the temperature within your room; do not stay at this hotel. The heat and humidity in Shanghai while we were there was oppressive. The air conditioning system at the hotel is only on every other hour during the night at the most modest of levels. Our room was 78 degrees at 3:00AM with the air conditioning on at full force. If you like to have a sweltering room with no air flow, this is the hotel for you. We checked out and moved to the Westin on the Bund -- plenty of cool air there.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple