See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 May 2015

Location get 10/10. It is just 50 steps from Exit 1 of East Nanjing Road. Decent joints to eat & Shop. Road Side eateries opp. to the Hotel. Veggies can find Cool Healthy Stuff in them. Shanghai looks to be Tourist Friendly . Even Small joint here had Menu written in English. Hotel is Old , Big and for sure is Neat & Clean. As English was a problem so there was no point interacting with the staff.
After reading a review for troubled Check In, I made sure my Chinese Contact to confirm with the the hotel for my Late Night Check in so it was very smooth even at 11:30 PM. Room was spacious with Direct view of Pearl tower.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on Back side of the Hotel they have View of Pearl Tower
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank AnirudhSharda
Reviewed 5 January 2015

I stayed at the Nanjing Hotel for six years running. I found the rooms clean, the bathrooms clean, the bed sheets clean, the room staff quick to attend to problems and they were always cheery and helpful. The reception staff could speak English and were always helpful. The restaurant was always busy and the are a string of restaurants across the road if you want a change in diet. The post office was close by together with the subway. My advice to whingers, go somewhere else where you can pay more and learn to speak Chinese if you cannot understand English spoken by Chinese. The beds in China are hard to a certain extent but much better for your back than sloppy beds. I hope to be back there again next year. Love'ya Nanjing Hotel. My family all came from Shanghai. Long may it exist.

Room Tip: If you are a tourist go to one of the expensive hotels where you can live it up and show your fancy attire. If f you are a traveller, your will enjoy this experience.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank anniemayfong
Reviewed 13 November 2014 via mobile

Location is really cool! It takes only 3 minutes to get to nearest subway station, you also can go by foot to People's square or to the Bund. The room is small, but comfortable, however the bathroom is old and very dusty. The air conditioner is weak and there is no mini-bar in the room. I was afraid it's gonna be noisy, but inside the hotel is really quiet and calm. The staff is very unfriendly, on the last night I found near my door the visit card of nearest escort agency. :(

Stayed: November 2014
3  Thank Aleksandra I
Reviewed 11 November 2014

I arrived at this hotel in the early morning after an overnight flight from Phnom Penh.I had asked for an early check in. The extremely rude receptionist said NO.11 oclock. I asked for internet access this was refused until I checked in. When I returned to the hotel later to check in I was told that they did not have my booking.com reservation. I showed them my print out which clearly showed the reservation and credit card payment guarantee they simply shrugged and told me that they did not have a room. I asked to speak to the manager. He was of little help. I had no choice but to find somewhere else. A few days later I git a 'noshow'' email from booking.com. I told them my story and they have been very helpful. Moral of the story. Do not trust this hotel

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank naomipics
Reviewed 23 October 2014

Location is good.

Their larger rooms are facing street side and there are restaurants immediately out the door, which means loud. Either ask for higher floor or not facing street, apparently they are the smaller rooms but when you want some quiet, that doesn't matter.

AC barely worked.

But worst was a rat or mouse was in our room. Found a bag eaten through & content inside eaten through. Also found a jar of peanut butter opened and lid across the room. The front desk girl seemed genuinely upset but when she called manager, he just looked at the eaten through items, made a sound, & turned around. Given his lack of concern, I'm guessing this is common place here.

This was part of Gadventures tour. See reviews saying this was best hotel of tour which is scary. Been on several tours with them, this one has had worst hotels so far. Wish they gave a heads up that beds in China are basically the same as sleeping on the floor so I could have known to bring inflate able pad or something.

Room Tip: Opposite of street or high floor
  • Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple