3,077 results
All reviews nanjing road the royal club lounge people's square lobby floor people's park spg member floor to ceiling windows excellent location bund view room junior suite high floor walking street breakfast buffet rain shower chinese restaurant modern hotel shopping area
Reviewed 2 January 2007

A very nice hotel in an outstanding location at the beginning of the Nanjing road. Modern design everywhere, nice staff, very good buffet restaurant and great swimming pool.
Room is ok but not as nice as Meridien Hong Kong.

• Stayed: December 2006
3  Thank alain88
Reviewed 1 January 2007

Everything was perfect. At the start I was worried that I will get the same experience with FlyOneWorld with the pickup at the airport. But thankfully the hotel representative was present when I got out of the Customs counter. The trip to the hotel was uneventful, very smooth, and atleast the car was packed with the standard amenities.

When I got out of the car, I was greeted by doormen who were eager to take everything from my hands. When I stepped in the hotel, I was greeted by one of the "ushers" (well I don't actually know what they are supposed to do) by my name. She then escorted me to the reception on the 20th floor. Check-in was smooth and everything seemed to be in order. Then even upgraded my room to a higher floor, with a fabulous view of the Bund and Najing Road.

The room was also great, the size is okay, a little small compared to the other hotels I've stayed in, but it doesn't feel cramped, I guess the absence of walls enclosing the bathroom did the trick and the mirror doors of the cabinet makes the room feel bigger. Of course you have the 42 inch Plasma TV which is now a standard for all new/newly renovated hotel rooms. All the rooms have DVD players too which could come in handy for watching your new pirated DVDs...hahahahahaha. I also like the fact that they provide L'occitane products so I don't have to carry mine everytime I go there.

Hotel breakfast is suffient, but quite redudant, I guess I'm used to breakfast buffet spreads here which could run for a week without a repeat of food (outside the standard, eggs, bacon, sauages and bread). Plus atleast they have provided bigger glasses for the juices, usually hotels provide small glasses for that.

Then you have the 2 sets elevators, one takes you from the ground floor to the 20th floor lobby and one from the lobby to the rooms. There is another set of elevators that brings guests from the lobby to the lower floors that takes you to the function rooms and the outlets. On the 2nd day I found that there were 2 elevators that take the guests from the ground floor to rooms on the 40th floor and up. (but you cannot take them going down to the ground)

When I was there taxis are quite familiar with the hotel already so I didn't experience alot of the problems the other reviewers experienced.

The whole hotel experience was simply fabulous, though sometimes you would feel that the hotel is crowded because of the number of staff, at normal hours you would have about 4-6 people manning the elevator lobby, I don't even have to press the button because they would do everything for you....and sometime by the time you get of the elevator and reach the coffee shop for breakfast you would have greeted and been greeted "good morning" to at least half a dozen people.

I would definitely stay here again...looking forward to go back to Shanghai soon!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo
7  Thank Kesler G
Reviewed 23 December 2006

Stayed for 3 nights at a Royal Club Room in December 06. This is a brand new hotel located in Nanjing Road, the prime shopping district of Shanghai.

The hotel has a modern contemporary decor that is tastefully designed. I stayed during the low season so there weren't many guests. Most of the time, you seem to see more hotel employees then guests. The room is nicely appointed with modern decor though slightly on the small side. The bathroom design is a bit strange in that it is a open concept so while you walk into the room, you also walk pass and can see the washing basin, the bathroom and toilet. OK with me but some people might not like this layout. Room come with complete amenities and feature a 42" plasma TV, spacious working desk, king size bed. Bathroom is well equipped with a deep soaking bathtub, overhead rain shower and L'Occitane toiletries. Moreover, most rooms have a good view of the Shanghai skyline. Mine come with a great view of the People's square and the Shanghai museum.

Overall not much to complain about the room. To nitpick, internet connection is not really fast enough, the sound-proof is not that great ( can hear at night when doors were being closed hard ) and the water pressure could have been stronger. Room service menu lacks variety.

The executive lounge ( called the Royal Club lounge ) is beautifully appointed and very chic and spacious. It is filled with comfortable sofas. There are 2 food presentations a day, which is breakfast and evening cocktail. And free drinks (non-alcoholic) throughout the day. I had most of my business meeting in the lounge since it is quiet and offers a lot of privacy.

Like what many reviewers have pointed out, the hotel floor design is quirky. The main entrance hall is not along the hotel's address, and the lobby, entrance hall and restaurants are all on different levels. Couple that with a maze-like layout and 3 sets of lifts and many staircases, visitors and hotel guest get easily confused and loss. Fortunately, the hotel seems to be keenly aware of this problem and have their staff stationed at most common areas of the hotel and they are keen to help and give directions. So whenever I want to go anywhere within the hotel, I just asked the staff at hand for directions.

Because it is winter, I ate mostly in the hotel's restuarants. The chinese restaurant food is very average althought not too expensive. The cafe serve a very good selection during lunch and dinner buffet and the price is very reasonable. One can see many locals also frequent the cafe for the buffet.

Service is overall very good but inconsistent. Some staff are more polite and eager to help then others. The staff are the Executive lounge are among the best. Still, in a city that is well known for sub-par hotel service, this is miles better than the service we got from 3 to 4 star hotels in Shangahi.

One more thing, if you can afford to pay higher, go for the hotel airport limousane service or rent a limousane from a car-rental company instead and avoid using local taxi. That's because most taxi drivers in Shanghai tend to drive like hell riders especially on a highway. Pudong airport is about 1 hour journey from the hotel and the risk of accident increases. My taxi ride from the hotel to the airport was rather nerve wrecking with several close calls until I was forced to tell the taxi driver and insist he slow down.

If you don't mind the quirks, this is a above average hotel and deserving of its 5-star status. I will not mind staying there again.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business
6  Thank BENLEE123
Reviewed 20 December 2006

After the Peninsula in Bangkok, this is the best hotel I have stayed in. I had a corner room with the TV on a pull out swivel for the couch and the bed, a nice touch. The elevators are a little confusing, but there are more than enough hotel staff to guide you around. I found no problem with the quality of my bathroom. The bed is fantastic.

As mentioned before though, be careful with taxi's. I had the address in Chinese for the taxi driver from SHA and he still got lost. The hotel website said the cost should be about 65 Yuan. Mine was 120 Yuan. I mentioned this to the bellman when he opened the door of the taxi for me. He quickly went to the driver and got the cost down to 80 Yuan. A job well done! I also think the driver took the long way because the driver back to the airport took a different freeway. They should all know how too at least get to Nanjing Road.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank bpdogs
Reviewed 19 December 2006

We stayed here for three nights in early November five weeks after it had opened. The rooms are exquisite in taste, design and comfort.
I usually don't like buffets, but the dinner buffets were absolutely amazing.

There is no question that we will stay here on our next Shanghai trip.

• Stayed: November 2006