3,038 results
All reviewsnanjing roadthe royal club loungepeople's squarelobby floorpeople's parkspg memberfloor to ceiling windowsexcellent locationbund view roomjunior suitehigh floorwalking streetbreakfast buffetrain showerchinese restaurantmodern hotelshopping area
Reviewed 13 August 2018

It is my second time to stay at this hotel, and it is truly hard to say it is good or fair.

The hardware of a hotel never matters, as even an old-fashioned one can have its own glamour. However, the service is the key. We always choose to live at a Marriott and SPG branded hotel, basically because we know there is an international standard to guarantee our comfort of staying.

Turning to Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, things seem different.

Merits:
Convenient location. Close to a transportation hub, right located in the city centre, on the most renowned pedestrian street, north Nanjing Road.

Sole one brilliant employee I encountered during this stay. A graceful lady named Vicky Shi in the Royal Club. She was the only smiling and attentive lady I met this time. When I found trouble in my pre-arranged room, she spent a lot of time showing me alternatives in person and made her best to offer me the best option. After hearing my incident in the hotel's lift, she led a relative duty manager to my room to explain the situation. Her team include another lady named Kelly was relatively helpful as well.

The disappointing.
In the lift, I requested a lady to help me press the button of my level, and I explained to her that my room card didn't work well. She told me" Well, you have your card." and show me the white of her eyes.

After I complained about this issue to the Royal Club, Vicky led a young man to my room, saying the lady I encountered in the lift did not belong to the Marriott Group. I was totally confused as the lady was in the hotel's uniform, and I could tell the colour that she was in a kind of management team. Anyway, I don't think it's our guests' duty to tell whether an employee is a recognised one or just so-called part-time one. They are on behalf of the hotel as they wear the uniform.

Besides that, I came to the gym in the evening. The girl at the gym reception was interesting. I mean, she asked me to sign my name and insisted to keep my room card as collateral, in a fairly RUDE way. As if she was there to ORDER me to do so, not GUIDE me to do so. In details, she said, "your name, give me a card." instead of "Please sign your name here, and please let me have your card" which might make things better.

All in all, when living in a hotel, I don't mind a tiny dust or a few facilities which don't work well in the room, which is understandable. What I am expecting is when I smile at the staff, I can get a smile and proper hospitality in return. If I come back in the future, it must be Vicky who encourages me.

Room Tip: higher floors which do not need to transform too many lifts.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Reginald_Van
Benjamin Z, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2018

Dear Reginald_Van,

Very glad to see you again at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, thank you for taking the time to sharing your feedback with us, your feedback is valued to us, we apologize for the experience you had during your stay and really appreciate for your understanding, we feel very proud to have Vicky. we hope we could provide satisfied stay experience to our guest each time. we will going to enhance the training, we hope we could avoid same situation happen again in the future, expected you could give us a chance to improve! looking forward to see you soon and wish you all the best

Have a wonderful day!

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai falls short of five-star standards in some categories. It is a very large hotel, and the management was unable to deliver on those standards for each guest. Our room had accumulated dust, and the bathroom had off-color patches and large mildew lines in some corners. The line to enter the breakfast buffet gets long as staff rush to record each guest’s visit and escort him to a seat. Many tables in the dining are are too close to each other for five-star standards. However, the service is otherwise excellent and the location is great for a tourist visit.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Billykuerten
LeRoyal M, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Dear Billykuerten,

first of all a big thank you for having chosen our hotel for your recent stay in Shanghai.

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed overall our services and our great location which certainly makes us, being passionate hoteliers very proud. We also would like to thank you for your feedback with regards to the high occupancy we had and unfortunately the related waiting timings for our breakfast. Rest assured that this is normally not representing the start of the day we want to provide to our valued guests and we have been aware during your stay about this and are rectifying this by offering different breakfast venues for groups from now onwards which has caused this challenge. There is certainly no excuse with regards to the cleanliness and maintenance shortfalls you faced and whilst we do have a very thorough preventive maintenance program in place, please accept our apologies for this. We already checked your room and resolved this.

Once again Billykuerten, we appreciate your feedback here on Trip Advisor and do hope that you will visit us again to see the changes we have made and to provide you with a great stay.

Yours respectfully,

Reviewed 10 August 2018

I've stayed in many hotels in China and Hong Kong, but this one is absolutely amazing! It's in central location, excellent service, great rooms, very luxurious. It's such a highlight to Shanghai! Definitely lots to do at the hotel. Thank you!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Benjamin Z, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Dear Ana D,

Welcome to Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, very happy to receive positive comments from you, your feedback is very important to us, we hope we could provide memorable stay experience to our guest each time, we will continue to work sincerely, expected we will always be your first choose when you come to shanghai. looking forward to see you soon and wish you all the best

Reviewed 8 August 2018 via mobile

The Merdien is undergoing renovations, but you wouldn't know it from your room. Modern, clean, and quiet with a friendly staff make the Merdien a solid choice for your stay in Shanghai.
Located at the end of Nanjing Rd. at People's Square make
it a good location to explore West Nanjing Rd. Jing"an Temple and the French Concession.
Two minute walk to People's Square MRT station exit 19.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo

Dear whitieg2018,

Welcome to Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay, very happy to hear that you are very enjoy your stay at here, we hope we could provide satisfied stay experience to our guest each time, thanks for your recognition for our room, our location and our service, your feedback is valued to us, we looking forward to see you soon and wish you all the best

Have a nice day!

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

With the over abundant choice of hotels in Shanghai I find myself coming back to the Le Royal Meridien Shanghai. There are a multitude of reasons that draw me back, but simply put: great Hotel and Location. The Le Royal Meridien is wasy to access from the ring road, subway and within walking distance from many major downtown areas such as the Bund, right on Nanjing Road, Xintiandi, etc. etc.
The rooms are spacious, clean and with good city views. The club lounge and Hu Bar in particular have terrific views. The staff is attentive and the hotel is well run. Check in can be hit and miss on busy days.

Jack F.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
Benjamin Z, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Dear Jack,

Welcome to Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, very happy to welcome you back to our hotel !really glad to see you again! thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us, feel excited to read your words, our staffs work hard each day, and let our guest feel satisfied makes it worthwhile, we will continue to provide quality stay experience to our guest, expected to see you soon and wish you have a nice day!