3,078 results
All reviews nanjing road the royal club lounge people's square lobby floor people's park spg member floor to ceiling windows excellent location bund view room junior suite high floor walking street breakfast buffet rain shower chinese restaurant modern hotel shopping area
Reviewed 3 February 2013

My first stay at this charming hotel in the center of everything was quite enjoyable, with emphasis on the staff in the Royal Club which I describe below. No hotel stay is perfect, and this one certainly had its ridiculously ludicrous quirks, but even so, Le Meridien of Shanghai will probably be my hotel of choice during my next visit to the city. Read about my 20 day stay below, chock full of advice!

The hotel is very glitzy and is squeaky clean in nearly every area, and they also conduct aromatherapy in the hotel or something, because it smells like a perfume shop in there, lol. I was pleased with my room, as it felt totally clean despite the cracks, dings, and caulking repairs all over the marble (Jesus, whoever installed these slabs of marble should have been beaten over the head with them... actually, it did look like they were in fact beaten over the head with them).

But seamless marble isn't why I was here. I was here for the 5 star experience, a good Internet connection, food, the view, and daily maid service. Anything else was a bonus. I go into more detail below...

* The 5 star experience seemed more like 4 stars, but that is adequate, even for the room rates. I stayed on the 57th floor, and wow what a view! Advice: Get a high floor.
* The Internet connection & speed were acceptable, though remember that this is China, and the government is getting increasingly elaborate at severing connections at random for no apparent reason, lol. Advice: Get a VPN service (free or from your work) to work online without getting severed every 5 minutes.
* I ate every morning and evening at the Royal Club on the 44th floor. Breakfast was great, and I wanted to take a moment to emphasize how personable the staff were on the 44th. Anastasia and the others became family to me after about a week. It is very very rare that one can develop a bond with hotel staff, but they took care of me and even looked out for me whenever I was confused about the city. FIVE STARS go to the 44th floor! Oh, and the omelet chef made the best omelets I've ever ordered. Imagine that in Shanghai! I recommend asking for a salmon omelet, which she does the best.
* The daily maid service was definitely adequate, but there are hits and misses with the cleaning crew. They don't turn your sheets unless you place a special card on your bed, a card that mysteriously vanished after the second day. So I asked for another card at the front desk. IT TOOK ME 20 MINUTES TO SUCCESSFULLY COMMUNICATE with the poorly trained reception/service area that all I wanted was the little card that was in my room when I first arrived. In fact, it took me at least 5 or 6 times to successfully communicate anything in very simple English to the reception/service area whenever I needed something. I will never understand this. I know that they speak English, because I hear them speaking it, but then as soon as I need something, they magically forget the language. ?????
* The gym and pool were absolutely fantastic. There was ample bottled water in the cardio area, and if you pump iron, there is enough equipment to get a decent workout, including a full set of dumbells (yeah!!). Advice: Take this opportunity while staying here to get into shape!

I don't really have any major complaints, however I can see how most others would be frustrated by :
1) The multiple elevator banks that you must traverse to get to your room
2) The communication barrier with the concierge, and the reception area for that matter
3) The ridiculously overpriced laundry service. Just wash your own laundry in your tub instead of losing ¥ 400 ($65 USD) to one single load of laundry. Jesus.
4) The concept of politeness and personal space of many patrons in the hotel. Many were selfish and would pile into the elevator the second the doors would open, before others even had the chance to exit first, which is the stupidest brain-dead thing I saw all over Shanghai. Yeah, just CRAM it in there! Baahahaa.

So yes, I can definitely understand most of the low ratings that people gave the hotel. But when considering the experience as a whole, there just isn't a doubt in my mind that Le Meridien was worthy of a 4 out of 5. :)

Room Tip: Amazing views on the higher floors, and very quiet except for the noise from the elevator bank.
3  Thank Daniel C
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing such a detailed review regarding your recent stay with us. We are glad that your overall stay with us was enjoyable. One of our major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve in the future.
We are definitely looking forward to having you back soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Staffs were unhelpful and some were borderline rude. Staffs don't really speak English. Concierge was horrible, never helped me with my bags both in and out. They didn't even bother to tell the taxi my destination even when asked. The room was ok, rather small. The toilet never flushed properly. The hated it that pit the sink outside the bathroom. Don't stay here if you don't speak mandarin.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Loyal SPG member,
Our apologies for such an poor impression you unfortunately had to experience during your recent stay with us and we cannot understand how we could have fallen so short of your expectations. I have shared your feedback with the team and will be looking into all the areas of concern you mentioned.
We do hope this experience does not cloud your future impressions of our hotel, and do look forward to another opportunity to impress..

Reviewed 1 February 2013

I stayed at the Royal Meridien Shanghai twice prior to my most recent stay. Always loved the location and the facility was fine. Staff was friendly and efficient. Super convenient to go to all sorts of places. So I specifically booked the hotel for my most recent business trip to Shanghai. To my huge surprise, I had a miserable stay this time. The problem? Atrocious internet service. Not only was it incredibly slow, but also was it highly unreliable. It took forever to log into my gmail account. For work purposes, I needed to download a file from my email. The ridiculously slow and meager internet service couldn't even allow me to download a very small-sized file. It really caused my work to suffer. I simply cannot understand why such a luxury 5-star hotel would have such an atrocious internet service. Such a shame! How can you be a business hotel and have unrelliable internet service? I will never stay there again unless there is marked improvement.

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and our sincere apologies for the poor internet connection you incurred. We believe the frustrations you endured were largely due to the current upgrading of our wifi and broadband services within the hotel.
We could not agree with you more the importance of a smooth and seamless connection and our guests will be experiencing just that once the upgrading is complete. We will be proud to be offering one of the fastest networks in Shanghai and China.
Thank you for your patience.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I'd never stayed in a Le Meridien before but this was a great first experience! My room - on the 61st floor - had an amazing view of the Bund (well worth paying extra for) and a view over the city that took my breath away every night! So much so, I slept with my curtains open. The spa was outstanding and I went back every evening - the perfect end to a bustling day on Nanjing Road. Tip - the wasabi prawns from room service were to die for.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank craiglegrice
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Reviewer,

We loved your review and thank you for sharing. I too am always in awe when looking out over the Bund, Nanjing road and all of Shanghai. We are so fortunate with our location and property. Do let us know when your travels bring you back through Shanghai for us to be able to show you the view once again.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

I stayed for only 3 nights in January 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I had a great room on the 22nd floor but colleagues in other rooms on other floors had no complaints either. I arrived on Sunday and was immediately offered the champagne buffet brunch, which I decided to try. Very good it was too! Great selection of cosmopolitan dishes and plenty of champagne, but with a price to match!

Unlike some other reviewers, I found the staff to be exceedingly helpful, polite and very service orientated. All the staff I encountered spoke English well enough that we had no communication difficulties. A colleague used the gym and said it was very good with lots of equipment. Another colleague took breakfast one morning and said the choice and quality was excellent..

My room itself was spacious and stylish (just a standard business room I think, not a club room or anything fancy) as well as being clean and maintained to a very high standard. The bathroom was immaculate.

I can absolutely recommend the bar on the 65th floor which has both smoking and non-smoking areas. Good service and occasional live music plus a fantastic panoramic view of the city. Don't expect a cheap night out here though!

The hotel is located very near People's Square which is a pleasant place to take a stroll. There are many shops, shopping malls and restaurants nearby (within walking distance) but if you want to visit the famous Bund district you'll need to take a short taxi ride.

The hotel didn't seem 'tired' or in need of refurbishment as far as I could see. Overall: excellent and when I revisit Shanghai this will be my first choice hotel.

1  Thank Richard M

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with our friends at tripadvisor.com and we are delighted to read that you enjoyed this visit.

We are in the midst of upgrading our award winning “La vie en Rose” brunch, so you must come back and experience us again.