“Fell a little short of expectations”

Ranked #36 of 5,205 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 11 March 2012

This was our last stop in China before we returned home. Previously, we had stayed at modern, luxurious, detailed-oriented hotels and was expecting the same at Le Royal Meridien. Unfortunately, it fell a bit short. There were a lot of little things that were disappointing/annoying. Would've given it 3 1/2 stars if it was possible.

I'll start off with the positives:
- Great location, in the heart of the action, near subway station, People's Park, shopping, restaurants
- Helpful front desk staff, i.e. gave great advice on taxis to avoid, answered all our questions
- Lots of complimentary bottled water
- Clean rooms; good housekeeping staff
- Thick towels
- Nice seating area
- Rain-type shower head
- Great view (we were on the 49th floor)
- Spacious lounge/bar area

Negatives:
- Concierge seemed lazy and wasn't very eager to help us. Asked him for a map which he promptly gave to us. But unlike other concierges, he didn't offer to provide any additional assistance. We asked for the closest train station name and location in relation to the hotel. He waved his hand in a general direction, "over there", acting as if it was obvious (it was not since it was the first time we had stepped outside the hotel). At that point, we decided not to ask him anymore questions, turning instead to the front desk for help.
- Bathroom: sink area needs a hand towel rack and more counter space. Shallow glass shelving is too narrow to hold anything substantial. Also faucet isn't mounted far enough over the sink so water drips down the back of the sink. Marble makes the bathroom seem outdated.
- No coffee machine, which I think should be standard in a luxury hotel. Note: there was a French press but it's not convenient to boil water and then steep coffee grounds
- Temp in room was way too hot; couldn't adjust the thermostat
- No free wi-fi
- Welcome note was left on desk. Would've been a nice touch if it had been addressed to us--it was addressed to someone else

Overall, it's a solid hotel in a great location. Since it is a Le Meridien, I expect more attention to detail when it comes to room design and construction and better service from the concierge. After reading the TA reviews, I'm wondering if we would've had a better experience if we were Royal Club members?

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Leroyalmeridien_sh, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing Le Royal Meridien Shanghai and sharing your comments regarding our service with us.

It is regrettable that your stay with us did not meet the expectations that previous hotels have provided for you. One of our major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and your feedback provides our hotel with valuable information that we can review to improve in the future.

We look forward to having you back soon and providing you a memorable Le Meridien journey in Shanghai.

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Write a ReviewReviews (2,828)

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Spent 6 nights at this property on a business trip. Overall very pleased. Room product was excellent, and the 39th floor afforded a beautiful view of the city. in-house restaurant had terrific daily breakfast. Location near shopping was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us and we are delighted to read your review. We do look forward to your return.

Reviewed 4 March 2012

I chose this among the various star wood properties in this city based on the excellent location and the proximity of this gem of a hotel. I booked a club room which promised me a higher floor so that I can have a superb view of the city and that was delivered to perfection. Plus I can access the club lounge on the 44th Floor for breakfast, refreshments and evening canapés. My room on the 56th Floor had the People's Park view which was superb. The hotel is a short stroll on the pedestrian walk which leads to the bund and its usually packed with walking traffic. If you want to shop its just around the vicinity of the hotel. The gym and the indoor pool which I used frequently is well maintained and comfortable with skylight. The clubroom concierge's efficiency must be commended as I needed some safety pins and a staple to fix an outfit for a party and was delivered to my room within minutes.
if you are looking for an escape from the hustle and bustle of this vibrant city, this property will not meet your expectations. Its best that you look for a hotel on the other side of the river in Pudong. If you expect a certain level of luxury and comfort of a conveniently located property with a view, this is should be your ultimate pick.

Room Tip: If you can afford the extra charges book a CLUB room and ask for the higher floors above the Club Lo...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 March 2012

We recently tried brunch at this establishment for the first time. We have lived in Shanghai for the last 5 years and have heard great reviews about this venue, so decided to try it. The French champagne was served cold and glasses were frequently replenished by attentive wait staff. For those more game, you can be administered 'shots' of alcoholic medicine by Chinese 'nurses' dressed in skimpy white uniforms. The food was extremely varied and of a very high standard. I also loved the in house DJ who pumped out very cool music during our epic 3 hour eating/drinking experience. The venue was packed out with a cosmopolitan blend of happy eastern and western diners. The kids were also well entertained in their pink bean-bags and enjoyed their own buffet and self-serve sweets! I would thoroughly recommend this brunch to anyone and rate it very highly indeed. The price is not cheap, but then again, I felt as though I well and truly got my money's worth indulging in the French champagne alone! Le Meridien, thanks for making our day so wonderful. Keep up the amazingly high standards!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jojoooshka

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments.

We are delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the time at our award-winning Sunday Brunch.

Thanks again for sharing your experience with us and look forward welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 27 February 2012

This was my second stay at this hotel. This experience was consistent with my stay 9 months ago.

The hotel has modern comfortable rooms. I was in a junior suite this time which was a little larger than a standard room. The suite has a large flat screen TV. The rooms are very quiet. My room was near the elevators but I did not hear any noise from the hallway. I also had club privileges which offered a breakfast buffet with a wide selection of food.

The service is top notch throughout the hotel. I left my sport jacket in the lounge and realized it at midnight. The front desk located my jacket and delivered it to my room folded in a nice bag by 12:30 pm.

I was at the hotel for a conference. Their conference facility is nice although the large room is oddly shaped. They had difficulty keeping a comfortable temperature in the meeting space. Most conference facility have issue with too hot or too cold, but this center has extreme swings from freezing to sweltering hot. We set up the conference area as non-smoking but the heating/cooling system pumped smokey air into the space from another part of the hotel.

I did find the elevators annoying. Not much they can do about that. There are several elevator banks with each covering a portions of the hotel floors. In many cases it requires multiple elevators to get to the ground floor.

The hotel is convenient to shops and metro.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your informative reply and we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your second stay with us.

Your feedback about our meeting facilities has provided our hotel with valuable information to improve on for the future.

Once again we thank you for your review and wish to welcome you back in the near future.

E. Yan