“Nice hotel, good location, friendly staff”

Salvo Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #442 of 5,203 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 13 March 2010

We stayed at Salvo hotel in Shanghai for a week in January 2010. I found the hotel based on a deal through web and I must say that we got a great deal.

The price was very reasonable and the rooms were clean, cozy and the staff did their best - even though not many of them spoke English. We stayed there with my wife and our two children.

The location also matched our purpose, my meetings were within an easy reach but also many sights in Shanghai (TV-tower, The Bund, Old city and the French concession) were within a walking distance.

The only minor issue was the fact that the lobby of the hotel was not heated, so it was rather "nippy" to sit in the lobby.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 9 March 2010

This hotel is not deserved 4 stars standing: the room smells mouldy, the bathroom is not clean, the breakfast is horrible, and more importantly, the quality of service is far from what a four star hotel should offer, when you meet hotel staff at the hall, or in front of the elevator, you don't even get a smile or a "good morning"! They completely ignore their customers!
I should change room during my stay, because the first room is only available for two nights, they asked me to carry by myself my luggage to the reception before the noon, and then carry it by myself again to my new room when it is ready!!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2010

We looked and looked and looked for hotels in Shanghai and using trip advisor kept ruling every one out due to mixed or bad reviews and then we found the Salvo hotel and finding nothing but good comments booked it and we were nothing but pleased. We booked the executive suite as it was sooo cheap and when we arrived had an executive check in, free breakfast (although the website said we didn't get breakfast!) a massive room with lounge and bedroom, free computer and internet in the room, a massive bathroom with spa bath, wet room etc and a view of Shanghai's skyline !! The location is also perfect - 5 minutes walk to the bund area and 5 minutes to the main shopping area. The staff were all very helpful. The hotel was very clean and I have nothing bad to say at all (and I am a fussy person so that makes this even better !!)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I was blown away by the value provided by this hotel. Last time I was in Shanghai I stayed at Le Royal Meridien at People's Square, which is a fantastic 5* hotel with less-than 5* service. Was planning on staying there again, but was tempted by the offer of Salvo Hotel. My entire 3 night stay was less than 1 night at Le Royal Meridien. Location is quite convenient for tourism & work: a few blocks away from People's Square, Bund & the #2 line subway stop on E. Nanjing Road. Also, a side street filled with dumpling houses & mini-marts for late night convenience. Given the price, I was expecting a pretty sub-par experience. HOwever, I was pleasantly surprised.

The lobby is nice & clean. Not breathtaking, but completely presentable & definitely not shabby. I was directed to the Executive Floor (31st Fl.) for check-in. At first, I thought I was being upgraded. That was disproven when they wouldn't let me eat any of the goodies in the Executive Lounge :( I think that I was sent upstairs b/c the staff on the Exec Flr. is better prepared to deal with English speakers. This is primarily a hotel for Chinese businessmen, which is why prices are lower than Western brand hotels.

Had an Executive King Suite on the 20th floor. Room is a large set-up with a separate (non-windowed) sitting room with couch & desk. Very nice, gracious set-up with direct views overlooking the city. I could see Huangpu, the Bund, and Pudong beyond. The bathroom is also very large with a separate shower room containing a huge tub & stand up shower with body jets, etc. It looks a little weird, but works quite well. The decor is definitely not my taste (dark wood with huge gold-leaf fish). However, everything was clean & it was great having a desktop computer with free INternet access.

Didn't try the restaurant (had more fun eating food in local streets), but picked up the free Enlish language paper in the lobby. This hotel is clearly marketed at a different crowd than the international 5* hotels in the city, but it provides a great room with decent services (Internet, sitting room, but no pool or health club) at an amazing price (just $10 more/day than a not as nice room in Shaoxing, a much smaller city 3 hours away). Also, I was able to walk to subway to take it to MagLev station (Longyang) for return to airport.

For those that must stay at a 5* hotel, the new Peninsula is opening up on the north end of the Bund (soft opening already, official opening in mid-March). Toured the hotel & rooms, absolutely stunning. Am tempted to stay there my next visit for comparison purposes.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nyctravelr
Reviewed 22 February 2010

This hotel is near Nanjing West Road, just two blocks away. The hotel and rooms are nice and clean, but a bit outdated. Our room had a computer (flatscreen) with free high speed internet. There are two televisonsets (no flatscreens) which is a little to much.
I booked through internet with Directhotels. Booking in advance will give you the best rates but if you can, don't use DirectHotels as their service sucks. Has got nothing to do with the hotel dough.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends