“MUST visit for a Shanghai off-the-beaten-paths experience!!”
Review of Gokurakuyu

Gokurakuyu
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 75.00*
and up
Hot Pot Dining Experience with Hot Spring Bathing...
Reviewed 20 September 2015

It's just a short visit in Shanghai for me and my friend, after Wuxi and before Beijing. As we already visited Shanghai few times and already visited almost all the Tourist Attractions, so we are looking for a new experience / things to do this time. We found this place in Trip Advisor, and after reading the good reviews, we decided to give it a try.

We used Baidu map to locate the place, and used buses to come here, pretty easy to find it as it's a very big building located in the side of a big road. The complex are huge, very modern and clean, Japanese style, the staffs are so friendly, and there's a guy speaks good English. Entrance is RMB 128/adult. We need to put our shoes in a locker, and changed into a traditional clothes, then went inside the same sex bathrooms. They have various baths with various temperature which you could try. There's also a steam room, massage / scrubbing room, shower room, toilets, and make up room. At first I felt quite awkward to see so many people naked. It's my first time to come at this kind of hot spring spa. But after few minutes and few baths, I don't care any more. Because it's so comfortable! I only spent total of 1.5hrs here as I couldn't really stand the heat. Then I went upstairs.

In the 2nd floor there's a huge food court with restaurants (the food is delicious, a little bit expensive), children playground, common room, and saunas. In the 3rd floor, there's a massage room also a bigger common room. In the 4th floor, it's VIP rooms. Too bad we don't have much time, otherwise we would love to try the sauna / massage or just spent longer time in the common room, so cozy.

Overall, it was a very nice experience and money well spent. Can't wait to go there again if we visit Shanghai again soon!! XD

6  Thank Jess_sutanto88

Reviewed 22 August 2015

When searching the web for WHAT TO DO IN SHANGHAI, a visit to a bathhouse was recommended, which I decided to do because the Gokurakuyu Bathhouse was nearby my hotel. My expectation was to see mostly old Chinese men and perhaps a few Westerns (like me) wanting to experience something of the Chinese culture. I was very wrong in my expectation...I was the only Westerner and also one of a handful (maybe five) men over 50. Most visitors to the bath section were young guys. It also did not seem to be a real "cultural" thing in China, but rather social time with family and/ or friends. The facility is modern and large, I spent most of the time in the bath section and just went to quickly check out the rest of the facility. There are several warm baths /pools/ tubs and one cold pool as well as a big sauna (like a theater with a TV), steam room, massage/ scrubbing room, showers and an area with small stools, vanities and hand showers where you can wash and shave (complimentary shavers and cream). Close to the entrance of the bath section are basins with complimentary toothbrushes and tooth paste. I tried to experience everything and also moved from the warm baths/ tubs/ pools to the cold pool several times as well as I had a scrub. I paid 128 Yuan entry fee plus around 40 Yuan for the scrub. This was money well spent. I felt so relaxed after the visit and I had such a good night sleep that evening.

2  Thank ashton o
Reviewed 16 July 2015 via mobile

This is a newish huge baths complex out in Pudong New Area, not too far away. take metro on line 6 to the stop before boxing road, then get a taxi (15y) or moto taxi (10y if you haggle). Or a 20 min walk.

Spotless, well organised in a strange oriental way - walk in, hand over your shoes for a token, hand that in for a wristband and a different token. Hand that in for pyjamas, and then go into change. Then walk naked into the bathing area, enjoy the baths - six different ones in the men's area, plus two saunas, outdoor area and many showers. Scrubs available for 68y. Everyone is naked in the single sex baths, all ages from 3 to 90, no one cares what you look like, even if a pale westerner like me. I recommend going from the 41degree bath to the 17 degree one a few times... After a while your sense of hot and cold fades, and you feel invigorated and healthy. Then dry off, put the PJs on and go through into the common areas, also huge. There is a cafe, lots of seating to relax, watch TV, further saunas, a library, games rooms, and an excellent restaurant. Heaven. There's wifi too, and no time limit on your visit although they close at midnight I think. You can go back and forth to the baths as many times as you like.

3  Thank 677tw
Reviewed 29 November 2014 via mobile

Spent 5 hors with family here. A place of relaxing. A lot of things to do, bath, sauna, food and drinks, books, hair saloon, etc. weekends, a lot of people. Next time, I will not choose weekends. ;)

1  Thank Morgan Y
See more reviews
Reviewed 10 June 2014

These baths are an authentic luxury. Every is spotless and the decor and ambience is very stylish. The bath part is sex-segregated, and in the men's part everyone goes naked without thinking twice about it. There are several different hot baths, including some cauldrons in a semi-outdoors area. A huge sauna, bet welcoming with a TV. There is also a bath with electrodes that is apprentice good for back problems. The entrance fee is 128 RMB. I tried the body scrub+milky cover+back patting. It is good treatment for the money. After enjoying the bath area and scrub we changed into the pajamas provided (7 choices of pattern), we headed to the relaxation/restaurant area. We felt very relaxed and enjoyed both the bath and relaxation area. All
in all, these have been the best baths we have been into in the world. There are only two small drawbacks: it is far away from everything: we paid 55 RMB to get there from the Yangpu area by taxi. The other thing is that you are barefoot the whole time: both in the bath area and in the relaxation one. I am not used to going barefoot and eventually had to ask for a towel to stay barefoot in a couch, covering my feet

2  Thank XavierMadrid