Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Gokurakuyu
from USD 75.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 16 July 2015 via mobile

This is a newish huge baths complex out in Pudong New Area, not too far away. take metro on line 6 to the stop before boxing road, then get a taxi (15y) or moto taxi (10y if you haggle). Or a 20 min walk.

Spotless, well organised in a strange oriental way - walk in, hand over your shoes for a token, hand that in for a wristband and a different token. Hand that in for pyjamas, and then go into change. Then walk naked into the bathing area, enjoy the baths - six different ones in the men's area, plus two saunas, outdoor area and many showers. Scrubs available for 68y. Everyone is naked in the single sex baths, all ages from 3 to 90, no one cares what you look like, even if a pale westerner like me. I recommend going from the 41degree bath to the 17 degree one a few times... After a while your sense of hot and cold fades, and you feel invigorated and healthy. Then dry off, put the PJs on and go through into the common areas, also huge. There is a cafe, lots of seating to relax, watch TV, further saunas, a library, games rooms, and an excellent restaurant. Heaven. There's wifi too, and no time limit on your visit although they close at midnight I think. You can go back and forth to the baths as many times as you like.

Date of experience: July 2015
3  Thank 677tw
Reviewed 29 November 2014 via mobile

Spent 5 hors with family here. A place of relaxing. A lot of things to do, bath, sauna, food and drinks, books, hair saloon, etc. weekends, a lot of people. Next time, I will not choose weekends. ;)

1  Thank Morgan Y
Reviewed 10 June 2014

These baths are an authentic luxury. Every is spotless and the decor and ambience is very stylish. The bath part is sex-segregated, and in the men's part everyone goes naked without thinking twice about it. There are several different hot baths, including some cauldrons in a semi-outdoors area. A huge sauna, bet welcoming with a TV. There is also a bath with electrodes that is apprentice good for back problems. The entrance fee is 128 RMB. I tried the body scrub+milky cover+back patting. It is good treatment for the money. After enjoying the bath area and scrub we changed into the pajamas provided (7 choices of pattern), we headed to the relaxation/restaurant area. We felt very relaxed and enjoyed both the bath and relaxation area. All
in all, these have been the best baths we have been into in the world. There are only two small drawbacks: it is far away from everything: we paid 55 RMB to get there from the Yangpu area by taxi. The other thing is that you are barefoot the whole time: both in the bath area and in the relaxation one. I am not used to going barefoot and eventually had to ask for a towel to stay barefoot in a couch, covering my feet

Date of experience: October 2013
2  Thank XavierMadrid
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

If you like wellness, spa and japanese bath you have to go there. It's a fantastic place, quite new (opened 2013 I think) with everything you can dream of. Like all japanese baths it's seperates between men and women. You'll find a variety of five different pools, saunas and a lot(!) of relaxation places. Comfort seats, mangas, drinks, television. Everything is clean, the atmosphere really friendly and the prices low. They have special facilities for wellness and a big menu for massages. Even the restaurant offers great (japanese) food for a reasonable price. If you ever consider having a relaxed day in Shanghai, this is the place to go.
How to get there: Take the "9"-Metro-line to "Middle Yanggao Road" (final stop). From there take a taxi. It'll cost you only about three Euros.

3  Thank Markus M
Reviewed 19 February 2014

My friend brought me here after he went once before and really enjoyed it. As I had never been to a bathhouse before, I was a little hesitant, but it was a great experience. The most notable thing about it is how clean it is. There's nothing I can't stand more than a wet, filthy place. Considering all the people that were there, the hot springs, stone saunas, and other lounging areas were all incredibly well-kept. I had been to another bathhouse in China after this experience, and it was nowhere near as clean as this one, even though the admission price is similar. My friend and I ended up spending a whole afternoon in the pools and saunas at Gokurakuyu and then later on relaxing and reading a book on one of their comfy sofas. Before we left, we also ate some Japanese cuisine in their restaurant area right above the communal space. I would highly recommend this bathhouse for a nice, relaxing day.

Date of experience: October 2013