“very nice hotel”

Ranked #246 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
California
“very nice hotel”
Reviewed 25 June 2008

We stayed here for 1 night as part of a China tour. This was definitely the best hotel out of 4 that we have stayed in China (Beijing Days Inn & Suite, Xian Sheraton and Guilin Royal Garden). Although all four are advertised as 5 star hotel, only Guang Dong hotel earns it. The room is luxuriously decorated and the bathroom tiles are nice and looks brand new. Internet was free.(this was also true for other hotels except for Xian Sheraton, which charged 50 Yuan a day for the internet connection). The beds were comfortable. I would definitely stay here if I visit Shanghai again.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank Brian5900

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 14 January 2008

-Hotel is 40-50RMB by taxi away from everything interesting.
-Staff are inept and have trouble showing general concern when something goes wrong. Had a massive plumbing problem in my bathtub, water up to my ankles after a five minute shower, took staff two days to rectify after raising the issue at least four times.
-Booking a plane ticket to Hong Kong proved excutiatingly difficult because the staff had difficulty communicating in English and they also only wanted cash for the transaction when I wanted to settle all to my room account. No flexibility.
-Getting back after a late night out I went for their 'buffet breakfast'; the lounge area was over ridden by a large tour group, the food was brutal, not restocked, filthy cutlery, tables weren't set properly.
-The hotel is billed as five star, it would be fortunate to get away with three stars at best.

• Stayed March 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Julian D
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 16 November 2007

I went on a tour with a group to Beijing, Shanghai and Xian. Of all the hotels this was my favorite. It had a beautiful lobby, great restaurant with good food and AMAZING STAFF!!!!!! It was so nice to have staff that is excited to help you and meet you. The bell desk was so helpful to find fun places to go and writing directions for the cab drivers. The rooms were very nice with great amenities. I would definately stay there again.

• Liked — The staff and the beautiful decor.
  • Disliked — The beds were a little hard...but you get that in foreign countries.
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank Littleleelee
U.K (mostly)
Reviewed 21 September 2007

If you have made a booking in this hotel for a "DELUXE ROOM", cancel it... I do not know about their cheaper rooms but the delexe room is not worth it. So you either downgrade (so at least you don't feel too bad for wasting your $$$) or get another hotel room.

I'm actually writing this review in the hotel room itself as I'm just too pissed off having to wear earplugs while writing this... (I'm now thinking of just moving to another hotel, but having pre-paid US$200 a night for the hotel, I'll wait the night because the area here is just too remote)

First thing when i arrived... I came by taxi to the hotel. When the taxi arrived, the bellboy (just really a boy) just looked on, not offering to help me at all. When I open the boot of the car, I was careless enough (did not sleep the last night) to have the boot door whacked against my stomach. The bellboy just laughed and only when I approached him, did he offer to help.

The reception was not any better... I stood IN FRONT of the receptionists (there were several of them) and they choose to ignore me. Some were busy on their computers, while others were busy talking among themselves... some saw me but ignored it , most prob thinking I'm standing there for the fun of it (why else would we be standing in front of the reception with our lugguages???) I need to catch their attention first after standing there for a few minutes... What a warm welcome...

The shape of the hotel is still ok but it look more like a 2-3 star hotel then its advertised 4-5 stars... just look at the carpet and you will know why...

The location of the hotel is quite remote and don't take the advertised 15min ride to the bund and downtown area as a fact... Shanghai is a very congested place... a taxi took me 45 min to reach Nanjing Road and the tube was 10-15min walk + 45min ride...

The room that I booked cames with access to the executive lounge (I always book hotels with access to a exclusive lougue where I can just chill out during tea)... guess what, they told me the louge was closed as it was booked ove the whole duration of my stay??? This seems strange as the lounge access was offered as part of the room package and I payed a premium for this ... (I'm a frequent flyer and I can't imagine if my airline lounge told me I can't access the lounge as someone has booked it)

Now... the worst part that prompted this review and the earplugs... I'm given the top-most floor of the hotel (25th floor) and there seems to be a lot of activity (banging noises) from the floor above. It is so loud that even with earplugs on, i could still feel them. Wonder what's on top??? Its 10pm at night and having not slept the night before, this was the last straw thus this review.

It could just me but I stayed in more than 50 hotels ranging from US, most of Europe, Aus and Singapore and I have stayed in hotels in Shanghai before, but of all of them, this was the most disappointing...

The only saving grace is that there is indeed a FREE internet service in the room that allowed me to write this review...

Just my two cents worth.

• Stayed September 2007
CT
Reviewed 15 June 2007

The rooms are quite nice and the staff was very helpful. Fast and free internet connection in all rooms (if you bring your own laptop). The breakfast buffet is a generous spread with countless items including traditional Chinese, Japanese and Western breakfast items.

It is not particularly convenient to the tourist sites around Shanghai. The water took a while to drain in the tub and the sink, but these are very minor complaints.

• Stayed June 2007