All reviews expat area business trip industrial park restaurants in walking distance the executive lounge great hotel highly recommended hotel free trade platinum member my home away from home definitely stay here again western style sleep quality breakfast and dinner business traveler excellent stay five nights
Reviewed 8 July 2018

I stay in Marriott's around the world and this one does not deserve to be part of the group.

These are my main complaints

- The staff were unhelpful and whilst tried to be friendly, had no common sense.
- Beware how they charge for their rooms - lots and lots of hidden extras
- Their rooms keys are not reliable, I think I had around 20 keys during my stay
- Their executive lounge food was lousy.
- The rooms are fine looking, but the walls are thin so we could hear people next door.

I tried to make a constructive complaint during my stay and clearly the staff there must be so fearful of their GM that they just deflected and did nothing.

I am now having a billing issue as they charged the wrong credit card without authority and refused to accept a pre-authorisation from my travel agent weeks ago - and are now saying they don't take AMEX? Now after weeks they suddenly are asking me to sign a pre-authorisation form which AMEX is ok - this is a joke of a hotel - AVOID.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Edison S, Director of Rooms at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Pudong East, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2018

Dear Sunshine88888,

Thank you for choosing the Shanghai Marriott Hotel Pudong East for your recent visit to Shanghai. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Your comments with regards to the staff services / room keys / Executive lounge food offerings have been well noted and we are working on the aspects that you have mentioned in order to make our customers more satisfied with the products and services that we provide. And I would like to apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent stay with us.

And with regards to your room rate and payment issues, I think my colleague had already sent you a separate note to explain all the details. By the way, both my GM and myself are more than happy to talk and discuss with all of our customers if they have anything to share at any time, my GM can be reached at tyson.bae@marriott.com while my email address is Edison.shao@marriott.com, Please do feel free to contact both of us if you need any further assistance or clarifications.

Thank you again for your feedbacks and I hope to welcome you back to our property soon to regain your trust. Thank you and have a great day.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

The hotel was a typical big chain hotel, spacious lobby, nice rooms. The staff at the front desk was friendly, but not as much as some Marriott hotels that I have stayed at in China, hence my title, All Business. It was close to some restaurants including an Irish Pub and an Indian Restaurant. There where also restaurants in the Hotel. Rooms were clean and comfortable, Internet was good. GlobalGuy 2016

Room Tip: High Floor is always best
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled on business

Dear Globalguy2016,

Thanks for taking your valuable time to share your experience with us.

I am very pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and also all of our staff were able to provide friendly services to you, and I understand there are rooms for improvement as well.

We will definitely continue to focus and ensure we can provide best services to all of our customers.

Thanks again for sharing your valuable feedback and looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

Reviewed 24 June 2018

I have stayed at Marriott properties all over the world and have come to expect excellent accommodations and service. However, this stay exceeded those expectations with a wonderful facility and even better staff. I stayed here five nights for business and found the hotel accommodating in every possible way. Despite a hiccup with the reservation system that resulted in losing my reservation, the front desk came through with a room upgrade and discounted executive lounge access. I ended up with a corner suite on the top floor with a great city view! The executive lounge offered exquisite breakfasts and even light lunch and dinner options. It was a nice oasis throughout my stay. What surprised me more than anything was the fabulous workout facility, full spa, with a lap pool that permitted lap swimming!!! I ordinarily don't get to use my swim goggles (in light of typical pool sizes and horseplay), but here I was able to put in long swim sessions. Also, the location was great for running! I expected big city traffic and was pleased to see that I could put in quality running in the vicinity of the hotel. The hotel is about :45 from the heart of the city by taxi, but it was nice to have some respite from the cacophony of the city. As a final comment, the hotel staff was courteous and professional from the moment I walked in through checkout. In sum, I offer my highest praise to this hotel and look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Dear Buck-I-Runner

Thank you for sharing your feedback.

We are delighted to read that you were very satisfied with our gym, spa and swimming pool. Your valued feedback is highly appreciated. Whatever success we achieve in meeting the needs of our guests is entirely due to the dedication and commitment of our people. I will definitely have your comments shared with my team.

Once again, thanks for taking your time to recognize our services and hope to serve you better again in the near future. And I am looking forward to welcoming you back in person in a not far distance.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

beautiful hotel in a great location with a lovely staff! So accommodating! My wife and daughter joined me on a business trip, the staff gave me an upgraded room and gave me a roll away bed for my daughter at no charge. The hotel is beautiful, the lounge exceptional and is in a very nice area and a short inexpensive cab ride to any where. After 3 days I made a huge mistake and went to the Double Tree Hilton near by. I won't make that mistake ever again. Going forward the Shanghai Marriott is my go to location. My thanks to the wonderful staff and lovely hotel.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Edison S, Director of Rooms at Shanghai Marriott Hotel Pudong East, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Dear Chris S,

Thanks for taking your valuable time to share your great experience with us and pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

We will continue to focus on customer service to improve our level of services and our facilities as well so that all our customers wont need to hesitate to choose from Marriott hotels or other brands, and that no mistakes will be made. :)

Once again, thanks for taking your time to recognize our services and hope to serve you better again in the near future. And I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Just updating my previous visit here 2 years later. Still an excellent hotel. Easy access to many parts of Shanghai. Breakfast included with rate. Very clean. Family friendly or for work / business. WiFi supported. Within 30-45 minutes of airport (traffic dependent).

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business

Dear Johnnyfrank66,

We will continue to focus on customer service to improve our level of services.

I hope you had some time to explore the Shanghai as well.