“Only if you're up for excreted coffee bean..”
Review of Kafelaku

Kafelaku
Ranked #242 of 460 Coffee & Tea in Shanghai
Neighbourhood: Former French Concession
Neighbourhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

Famous for its Luwak Coffee - no, I didn't order any excreted product. Just double shot latte which apparently must come in this super tall paper cup... ratio is totally out, pretty bland and.. paper cup, they broke my rule... #NoPaperCups

Reviewed 30 June 2016

We stopped by here to get some famed Kopi Luwak coffee. It costs $40 which seems in line with prices for that coffee elsewhere. They pulled out the beans and allowed us to compare the smell vs. regular coffee. Additionally, they brewed it in front of us which was a cool show. The coffee itself was really good. It was great for a one-time thing, not something to drink everyday!

Reviewed 12 August 2015

Some have complained about the prices here. Only the kopiluwak is priced like that. Normal lattes are in the 30s (rmb), so comparable to Europe, or just a bit more than the US.

Reviewed 23 May 2015

The best part of this cafe is the LN2 sorbet! Made in front of your eyes, it's the smoothest sorbet I've ever had. No minute ice crystals--smooth as ice cream and very fruity. Of course the latte is good, but you don't need to get the expensive kopi luwak.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

If you want to pay about $40 USD for a cup and $20 for a latte this is the place to go.
I was suffering jet lag/coffee withdrawal when I spotted this place 20 feet from Starbucks. So to support the locals I had a latte here. Thinking the Yuan/dollar rate was 6 cents not 16 cents the latte would have been $ 7. OK for my first one in China.
Why so expensive when I later crossed to Starbucks and paid 22rm ( $3.50)?
The beans used at Kafelaku have passed through the digestive track (intack) of the civet cat.
Need I explain more?
I didn't taste much difference!