“Neither Magnificent nor International...Acceptably Cheap”

Magnificent International Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2,436 of 5,159 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Stayed here for two nights in late August. Accomodation is certainly cheap - around GBP40.00 a night and the location is a ten minute walk from the Shanghai Museum / Peoples Park. It is also very convenient for the Metro and is about 15 mins away from the Xiantiendi eating / drinking / shopping area. I do not speak Mandarin. The front desk staff do not speak English (okay - that's not fair, maybe forty or fifty words) so you will need to come prepared for that. The rooms themselves are fairly spacious, but typical of Chinese hotels of this class the beds are rock hard and everywhere stinks of stale cigarette smoke and dirty air conditioning. The bathroom had a number of cracked tiles, a shower that barely functioned and a vertical mold garden (black, patchy green) around the bath. However, for the price and location it was okay if you are not looking for comfort or service.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Esmond_Fancy

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Thought This hotel was very very average. a little dirty. Staff a little remote. Breakfast wasnt too bad but all in all there are much better hotels in Shanghai than this for the price. A very unremarkable hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed on my own on the 12th floor for 2 nights in a corner room that had 1 queen-sized bed and 1 twin bed. Great for me as I could use 1 bed for laying out my clothes. The feedback from previous contributors had prepared me for the hard mattress - but really, it was fine and I did not wake up with any discomfort at all. There was a kettle for you to boil water, and a fridge whose external frame doubled as a heater for my damp jeans. (Once you open the door concealing the fridge, you will be greeted with warm air. However, the fridge works, so no worries.) The water pressure was good and had hot water. Perfect for a clean quick shower without soaking in the tub, which had some blackish stuff growing at the sides.

TV Channels were okay, with CNN too. But do not expect a wide range to choose from.

Breakfast on the 2nd floor was decent and I know I enjoyed the fried noodles on one of the mornings.

The hotel lobby has 2-3 computer terminals (but 1 of them had a malfunctioning mouse during my stay) and you may just get the password from the reception counter. If you have your own laptop, smart phone or Ipad, get the separate WiFi password from the receptionist as well. Speed is good, and no lag. But of course, no Facebook =P but Skype speed was fine.

Stay if you are not a fussy traveller and just plan to sleep for the night (and if you are fine with non-cloudlike mattresses).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank merismer
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I last stayed at this hotel in December 2007. If the reviews I read here are to be believed, it must have gone downhill since then. I had no problems. The room was perfectly adequate, with a fridge. I didn't notice any dirt or mold. There was a public room with free Internet access.
At least two or three of the clerks at the desk spoke English reasonably well. The breakfast was fine with me --- I'm not a breakfast man anyway. When I complained about the pop music they were piping in, why next day they put on Chopin! How many hotels will do that for you?
I also had dinner once. The food was good, although the dining room was rather chilly and I was the only guest! The location can't be beat. So, should I go to Shanghai again, I would give this hotel another try.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank CotedesNeiges
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This place is a dump. The bathroom was the worst I'd ever experienced. The sink wasn't bad the shower was. The carpets are old, dirty and stained. It made me not want to take my socks off. Service was terrible on arrival, check in took 30 mins and I was the only person checking in and the person helping me could care less, the checkout was much smoother. People talk about the value you get for the cheap price but I stayed at a Holiday inn express in Shanghai for only a few USD more.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo