“Great value, central location”

Oriental Riverside Hotel
Ranked #133 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Suffolk
“Great value, central location”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I stayed here for a convention and it was much better value than the adjacent Shangri La. I was ripped off by my taxi from the Maglev and the check in staff were very helpful! The staff are all courteous and charming - I left my credit card in the ATM and a member of the floor staff sought me out to return it. The room was big, clean with a seperate shower and a huge bed. The bathroom has a window into the bedroom which is a nice touch. Right outside the hotel there are plenty of restaurants and a shopping mall. Breakfast was expensive and there are many places to eat and get a coffee, including Starbucks within a 2 minute walk. Overall, I wouod definately stay here again at this price ($140 a night).

Room Tip: Not too high as function room on the top floor can be noisy
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed with our family of four in a double queen size bed room - great room. Kids wanted a hotel with a pool!

Pros:
- Nice rooms with all you would expect of *****
- Good value deals with agoda
- Great location if you want to stay in Pudong area
- Good access with Metro line 2
- jetty for river cruise around the corner

Cons:
- Service only average. I don't expect to wait 1h until my room is ready when staying at ***** hotel
- Pool/wellness area has seen better times
- Pool/wellness area not clean and is seems as used as dressing room for staff
- breakfast is hell of expensive (RMB 260pp)
- don't compare the place with european *****

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2012

This hotel is situated in the financial district of Shanghai one minute from the pearl tower and one minute from the sightseeing tunnel, so the good stuff covered let me explain some things that were not quite right, the rooms are in need of overhaul with old furnishings and stained carpet.
The reception is on the ground floor and all staff were friendly and happy to help out when required. The location is alos close to the Big brand mall, countless shopping areas and McDonalds etc.
The walls appeared to be paper thin which impeded my sleep but I did recieve free internet however wireless is only available in the reception area and i found the best deal for the nights i stayed on Expedia.
Would i stay in this hotel again - Yes and I stayed in room 472!

Room Tip: Make sure you upgrade to a bund view - i stayed in room 472
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 13 January 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and didn't quite expect such a dingy hotel. The reception area is on the 8th level of an old building. I thought we got to a wrong place first. Staff couldn't speak english so I tried my survival chinese but that did not help to elevate their helpfulness and amount of friendliness. When I order food to room, they picked up the phone only after 5th call and then they suddenly hung up so i had to call again. We ordered Suzhou rice that was meant to come with a soup but didn't and was a combo of sticky rice, luncheon meat small pieces and somewhat burned corn.
the location is very good. You are close to Bund riverside and can enjoy a view of the Pearl Tower from your window. It is a walking distance to YuYuan gardens which I'd recommend to visit. There is a lot of street food around the hotel if you feel adventurous.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Some facts about the room: a squished mosquito was still on the window pane (in December!); there were blackened dirt marks on the bottom of the bathtub; the carpeting was stained; one of the plastic faceplates for the electrical outlets in the bathroom was partly for show (there was no real receptacle in the wall behind the upper part of the faceplate); there were dead insects in the pendant light hanging from the ceiling; and they gave me a smoking room without even asking or telling me!

An unpleasant surprise: when I checked my credit card statement after I returned home in the US, I saw that this hotel charged me in US dollars, where the US dollar amount (I had to figure this out) was the correct Chinese yuan (RMB) amount for the room PLUS an additional amount! I computed this additional amount to be 3%, so my guess is that the hotel charged this as a currency conversion fee, which they pocketed. However, I purposely pay with a credit card from my credit union, which charges no currency conversion fee. Other places in Shanghai charged my credit card in RMB (so I didn't pay a currency conversion fee), rather than in US dollars where the merchant would charge and pocket 3% more for a currency conversion fee.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business