All reviews people's square metro station walking distance great location sized bathroom reception staff quiet room the main shopping street free wifi english language restaurants and shops yuyuan garden yogurt hotel is located ymca tv lobby
Reviewed 11 November 2016

The staff is very nice, although they have limited English. Expectations of the level of service, in general (but not always) compared to western standards, must be lowered. Tipping is not a common custom so that removes some motivation. They get paid the same regardless of their level of service. For example, when I approached the desk for a simple question, the clerk was busy with some activity and more or less ignored me for a couple of minutes, while they completed their current task. This happened more than once. However, when they finally acknowledged me, my questions were answered although I felt as if I had interrupted something. Being an elder Chinese (American) male made no difference to them even though we are to be held in high esteem by their culture. The room was comfortable and fairly clean. The location was excellent, within walking distance to the Bund and E. Nanjing Road. There are numerous metro lines that intersect near this hotel. Restaurants abound, however most menus are in Chinese only, and the locals do not speak much English. Bring your own napkins or plan on paying a couple of yuan for them. This is true at many, but not all, places. You must be adventurous as we were and tried a wonderful noodle house where the young staff made successful attempts at translating with their phones as we did with ours. They went out of their way to accommodate us at "Why Wait till Chengdu". This was a great experience and pretty good food. Do not expect this to happen everywhere. You will be asked to come in (Chinese speaking) by some while others will ignore you.

You cannot really go wrong staying here. I would consider this hotel again, should I return to Shanghai. Be prepared for an experience you will remember as you explore the area, both negative and positive. If they know you will not purchase anything, you will be totally ignored, such as when I visited the local tropical fish/cricket/bird mart that is within walking distance, where I was a non-person, and more or less non-existent to them. On the other hand, many vendors and shops are very engaging as the anticipation of making money makes them smile.

Room Tip: Street facing windows, that open, can be noisey
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
6  Thank RANDALL L
Reviewed 10 November 2016 via mobile

Nice and Quiet Hotel in a good location.
Air conditioning very cold.
Very near the Shanghai Metro station and lots of shopping, entertainment and restaurants nearby.
There's a City Super supermarket about 5 mins walk from the hotel and a few Family Mart convenience store in the vicinity. English understood by the front desk.
Would have given a 5-star review if not for the occasional musty smell of cigarette and non-existent view from our room.
But the price we got from our room was well worth it.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anthony1075
Reviewed 4 October 2016 via mobile

When researching the area it was clear for a good location it was expensive. I found this hotel and thought it was a good price for the location. 10 mins to people squire and 20 min walk to main shopping Street and 30 mins to the bund. Hotel check in and staff were good. Reception was basic but OK. Room was a little musty but clean enough. Bathroom was nice and free slippers and robes provided which was a nice touch. Very quiet area so slept well. Only issue was it was a smoking floor which you could slightly smell but not enough for us to complain about. We didn't have breakfast so cannot say if it was good. Price to airport was around 70 yen and 65 to main train station. For the price we paid for 3 nights which was 180 pounds it was a good stay location and cost made it worth it.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LynseyUK55
Reviewed 30 July 2016

This is a small hotel, but is very central, reasonably priced with excellent amenities. One of the best things for me after nearly 8 weeks of travelling (and the oppressive heat of Shanghai over the last week) was the proximity to the Metro. The beds were very comfortable and the staff are excellent - although some variability in english-proficiency - but then again my Chinese is non-existent,k so who am I to complain?? The breakfast was good, but not great - however westerners will never rate a breakfast as great in a chinese hotel until they learn how to cook western food like scambled eggs etc properly - OR unless you are into noodles and pork-type buns etc for breakfast - which takes a while to get used to - but I encourage you to try to.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rhysw552016
Reviewed 4 July 2016 via mobile

As per many of the reviews this is a very clean, spacious and well-located hotel with helpful and friendly English-speaking staff. We thought it was great value and very nice for a 3-star hotel. We had a few issues with delayed luggage and staff were great. You can walk to key locations like Yuyuan Gardens and along Nanjing Rd to the Bund if the weather suits, otherwise the metro is easy (below reviews include helpful metro info). Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Christopher S, Manager at Jinjiang MetroPolo Hotel Classiq Shanghai Peoples' Square, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2016

Thank you Auckland (you have a superb city too), and thank you for choosing one of 8 MetroPolo hotels now in Shanghai, as China's leading mid market lodging chain. This well located boutique is housed in the original YMCA and nearby Peoples' Square and the Nanjing shopping street, as well a the metro line. We try to offer super good value for money and am glad that the staff were hospitable with some English to better service your needs. Thank you for the 5 bubble award, it really helps us a lot. Come back please and tell your friends.