All reviews cathay garden grosvenor house french concession richard nixon hotel complex shanghai moon french district classic hotel breakfast buffet four nights chinese hotels chinese food excellent location china tour the air conditioning business trip spacious room
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We stayed at the Cathay gardens part of the the jin jiang hotel in Shanghai for 5 nights with 3 kids aged 9, 12 and 15.
Rooms are well equipped, but not spacious.
We booked rooms for 2 and 3 persons through travelocity, but were required to pay extra for a 3rd bed.
It seems hard to get non smoking rooms.
We finally ended in downgraded rooms (non garden view, which is no view at all) and had an OK stay.
Hotel neighborhood in the French Consession is great. Very close to two lines on the subway.
There were only a few non chinese tv channels, none of which were business.
Updated A/C was great.
The indian restaurant in the hotel, Tandoor has great food, but is expensive.
No free wifi...

Ole Gorm, Copenhagen, Denmark

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Ole_Gorm
Reviewed 18 July 2010

The Hotel itself is not ugly, actually it is an historical building in the center of Shanghai. But the service is quite bad (very bad). One night I asked the concierge to book a table at a restaurant outside the hotel and when I got there I had no reservation. From the restaurant we called the hotel and the person who answered the phone claimed he did know nothing about the reservation, said that the rest of the staff had left the hotel because they finished their turn and literally hung up the phone on me!!
The restaurant staff was very helpful and at the end they found us a table.
When I complained with the hotel management, he just said that he found a note (what note if the previous night the concierge did not have any info about it?) that Jin Jiang had actually called the restaurant. He blamed it on the restaurant staff (who as I said were much more friendly and helpful than them) and just turned away.
The concierge and staff at the door did not even say hello most of the times i entered the hotel.
It took them 2 weeks to change the empty bath gel!!!
Mediocre hotel, I would not recommend to stay there. You can get much better hotels for the same price in Shanghai!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2010

I travelled to Shanghai with my father for our family business. We only stayed here for one night so didn't see much of the location which is supposed to be good. We arrived at the building and the bell boy told us we were at the wrong building and to keep going. We went to the other building and went inside to check in where the receptionist told us we were at the wrong building and to go back (as we had been upgraded due to overbooking). We went back to the other building and checked in. When we got to the room there was only one bed!! As a fully grown woman travelling with her father we were not comfortable sharing a bed, but when we asked them to seperate/change rooms/bring up bedding, they refused all options saying they were overbooked. the suite we had been upgraded to was supposedly 4000RMB p/night not worth 1500RMB p/night in our opinion!! Shower did not work properly, and breakfast is not even included! Room service was cold and bland. We connected our laptop and the home page said first 24 hours free, when we checked out they had charged 90RMB for internet. When we argued the receptionist just laughed and said "no not free" in very poor english. Writing this review from Majesty Plaza on Nanjing Road, half the price and just as nice with free internet and breakfast!! travellers be ware!!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 11 November 2009

• Stayed: November 2009
Reviewed 2 November 2009

Originally booked with another hotel but because this was (highly) recommended by a friend, we've decided to give it a go.

The hotel proved to be charming upon arrival with its colonial facade however, I was dismayed to be greeted by a waif of damp odour like an old hotel. But because my partner on the other hand was more hopeful than I was since we were booked for the Club Suite, we went along with it.

My mood was immediately lifted when the lift door opened. The corridor was newly renovated and so was the room. It looked exactly how it was photographed on the website so that was a relief! The layout was sensible and very spacious which I appreciated, lighting was also sufficient.

There was a letter of notification that renovation works are in place & will take place between 9.30am to 4.30pm. Sadly, we were awoken by the incessant drilling & knocking by 8am that went on what seemed like forever, which really disrupted our holiday.

Another chief problem we had was the shower area. Even whilst showering, water seeped onto the floor outside the shower area. The bathroom was flooded throughout the whole time, there was so much water it didn't have enough time to dry.

In short, if not for the ideal location this wing probably wouldn't be very popular because most reviews state 'quiet' but it wasn't at all. Besides the renovation, you can also hear the traffic whizzing by.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple