“Loved The Grosvenor House”
Review of Jin Jiang Hotel

Jin Jiang Hotel
Ranked #110 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 25 May 2008

I have stayed at the "Old Jin Jiang " several times since this first visit. It was recommended to me by a friend living in China and have since taken several colleagues there whenever we visit shanghai. Its old world charm never fails to impress and it is one of my favorite places to stay when visiting China, I have always enjoyed the food and the decor . I will be taking someone there again next week, it will be his first visit to China and I feel sure he will be impressed. If you want clinically clean and modern this is not the place for you. It is clean but has character and the staff are always courteous and extremely helpful. I do not speak Chinese but have never had a problem there.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business

Reviewed 4 February 2008

Impressive and a bit opulent ;-) but very nice in deed. The location is great if you’re into shopping at Huaihai Rd where you’ll find anything you like. Personally I’d prefer Nanjing Dong Lu but this was an official visit to Shanghai, so I couldn’t choose.
We stayed at the Cathay Gardens part of the hotel.
Rooms were cold (!) but I arrived in the middle of the worst snow for decades, and insulation is not what China is best at - so that could be expected. No heating was available. However, the duvets were warm, and the hotel provided good tea-making equipment to keep you warm.
The interior of the design is bright and welcoming and the rooms are well laid out and quite large. The separate shower stall is nice to have in addition to the bath tub – I hate standing up in a tub.
The breakfast buffet is very good with lots of fresh fruit and many hot options, Western, Chinese and Japanese – a good start of the day.
The rates for internet access is lower than other hotels (90 RMB for 24 hours), but ridiculously this is only valid for cabled access as Wi-Fi is almost double the price. Not good enough!
Would I stay here again? Definitely (if I chose to stay in this part of the centre).

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank mkabell
Reviewed 26 October 2007

Stayed here at the end of a China Tour, I was in the Cathay Building which dates from way back but still offers a good level of service and accommodation.
The room was fairly large with all the usual furnishings: chairs, TV, table, fridge, mini bar and safe etc. The furnishings including the beds are well made and comfortable, the bathroom is of a good size and had a very effective walk in shower, towels changed daily and plenty freebies.
The room windows are the old style metal type which do open quite wide and may be dangerous for children, but the air conditioning worked well and so negated the need to open the windows much.
The dining room (breakfast) is on the 11th floor and carries a huge selection of buffet style menus, plenty of choice for all tastes.
I found the staff FAIRLY helpful, some did not have much English and occasionaly I felt they played on that.
There is a very well equiped fitness area and swimming pool in an adjacent building, the pool is large and when I visited it was staffed.
There are a good selection of shops quite close by and I felt the area was safe.

• Stayed: October 2007
1  Thank Dalbhraddan
Reviewed 17 October 2007

This is an old establishment in Shanghai in a very good location. However there are two wings if i am not mistaken and the cheaper and older wing is terrible by all accounts. I first booked two rooms via one website and we were led to this rundown building where one 'receptionist' was working behind a miserable table. The corridor outside the rooms looked something lifted out from a horror movie and the rooms we had had foul smell. This building looks more like a servant's quarter to me. I had to call the operator and requested for a change of room- which turned out to be the pricier rooms/suites at another building. The suites are very good.

The staffs at the desk and the bell captains were mostly obnoxiously rude and unfriendly.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank azechan
Reviewed 14 September 2007

When my company arranged for me to stay at this hotel I immediately checked the web for reviews. I was disappointed by what I read however I am happy to say I had an unexpectedly GREAT stay at this hotel.

The room was clean, modern and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable, I slept well. The receptionist was pleasant and attentive to my needs. The bell staff was prompt and efficient. The buffet breakfast was fresh and there were plenty of choices. All in all I really enjoyed this hotel and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business