All reviews cathay garden grosvenor house french concession richard nixon shanghai moon french district classic hotel breakfast buffet art deco four nights chinese hotels china tour excellent location the air conditioning business trip spacious room comfortable stay
Reviewed 4 February 2008

Impressive and a bit opulent ;-) but very nice in deed. The location is great if you’re into shopping at Huaihai Rd where you’ll find anything you like. Personally I’d prefer Nanjing Dong Lu but this was an official visit to Shanghai, so I couldn’t choose.
We stayed at the Cathay Gardens part of the hotel.
Rooms were cold (!) but I arrived in the middle of the worst snow for decades, and insulation is not what China is best at - so that could be expected. No heating was available. However, the duvets were warm, and the hotel provided good tea-making equipment to keep you warm.
The interior of the design is bright and welcoming and the rooms are well laid out and quite large. The separate shower stall is nice to have in addition to the bath tub – I hate standing up in a tub.
The breakfast buffet is very good with lots of fresh fruit and many hot options, Western, Chinese and Japanese – a good start of the day.
The rates for internet access is lower than other hotels (90 RMB for 24 hours), but ridiculously this is only valid for cabled access as Wi-Fi is almost double the price. Not good enough!
Would I stay here again? Definitely (if I chose to stay in this part of the centre).

Date of stay: January 2008
1  Thank mkabell
Reviewed 26 October 2007

Stayed here at the end of a China Tour, I was in the Cathay Building which dates from way back but still offers a good level of service and accommodation.
The room was fairly large with all the usual furnishings: chairs, TV, table, fridge, mini bar and safe etc. The furnishings including the beds are well made and comfortable, the bathroom is of a good size and had a very effective walk in shower, towels changed daily and plenty freebies.
The room windows are the old style metal type which do open quite wide and may be dangerous for children, but the air conditioning worked well and so negated the need to open the windows much.
The dining room (breakfast) is on the 11th floor and carries a huge selection of buffet style menus, plenty of choice for all tastes.
I found the staff FAIRLY helpful, some did not have much English and occasionaly I felt they played on that.
There is a very well equiped fitness area and swimming pool in an adjacent building, the pool is large and when I visited it was staffed.
There are a good selection of shops quite close by and I felt the area was safe.

Date of stay: October 2007
1  Thank Dalbhraddan
Reviewed 17 October 2007

This is an old establishment in Shanghai in a very good location. However there are two wings if i am not mistaken and the cheaper and older wing is terrible by all accounts. I first booked two rooms via one website and we were led to this rundown building where one 'receptionist' was working behind a miserable table. The corridor outside the rooms looked something lifted out from a horror movie and the rooms we had had foul smell. This building looks more like a servant's quarter to me. I had to call the operator and requested for a change of room- which turned out to be the pricier rooms/suites at another building. The suites are very good.

The staffs at the desk and the bell captains were mostly obnoxiously rude and unfriendly.

Date of stay: September 2006
2  Thank azechan
Reviewed 14 September 2007

When my company arranged for me to stay at this hotel I immediately checked the web for reviews. I was disappointed by what I read however I am happy to say I had an unexpectedly GREAT stay at this hotel.

The room was clean, modern and comfortable. The bed was very comfortable, I slept well. The receptionist was pleasant and attentive to my needs. The bell staff was prompt and efficient. The buffet breakfast was fresh and there were plenty of choices. All in all I really enjoyed this hotel and I would stay here again.

Date of stay: September 2007
1  Thank JazzFan2
Reviewed 8 August 2007

Stayed there for two nights. Seriously awful. I got in at about 11pm in the night and they gave me a room in the more historcal Cathay Garden. I tried to run myself a bath, and all these green water suddenly came gushing out of the bathroom and there was a massive flood all over the place. Reception wasn't very enthusiastic when I called for a change of room. Only after some prolonged reasoning, did they reluctantly get me a room upgrade to a bigger room in another building. (I was tired beyong tired) First floor and no view - a wall stared back at me when I opened the blinds. I would definitely recommend everyone to get breakfast at anywhere but the hotel cafe.

If you are in Shanghai for business, think twice about the location. The streets are eternally filled to heavy traffic. It would take you about 35 minutes to get to Pudong business districts. Not withstanding taxi drivers cursing at you for dragging them to such a far-off location. Careful when you schedule your flight out. I tried to finish off my meetings in Pudong at about 5:00, thinking a half hour drive back to grab my bags then another half hour back to Pudong Airport should leave me sufficently cushioned for a 7:30 flight. No! It takes me two instead.

Date of stay: August 2007