“Great place to buy tea in Shanghai....don't go fall for the tourist / tour guide traps of low quality tea”
Review of Tianshan Tea City

Tianshan Tea City
Ranked #4 of 526 Shopping in Shanghai
Reviewed 1 July 2018

Went there last year and returned last week.

I recommend seeing Susie in stall 1051 on the first floor. She is an expert in tea, she speaks English very well, and is a kind and patient salesperson !

The first time I went there last year, I spent over two hours there tasting various teas. This time (last week) I took a work colleague of mine I was traveling with and we did the same. I cannot remember how many different types we tried but she gives you an experience similar to a wine tasting experience in Napa, CA ! She shows the correct way to brew each kind of tea and how to up the game of your tea palate.

There is no pressure to buy, but I'm sure that you will find something that you will like and appreciate. She has several qualities available for selected teas if you are extremely price conscious. But she is very particular with what she sells regarding a balance of quality vs. price.

She now ships internationally (in case you run out and aren't visiting soon) !

All in an experience even if you don't end up buying anything. Fairly easy to get to from the subway.

Don;t get tricked by the tourist / tour guide run tea shop visits!!!! Their quality is low and the prices high...after all it is meant for tourists.

Tianshan Tea City is a retail / wholesale establishment. The second floor is tea accessories.

2  Thank Onuff
"master"
"china"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

Great place to buy tea from all over China at a range of prices and qualities. Have an idea of what you want to buy before going. Few vendors speak a lot of English, so maybe learn a few basic phrases to do with tea and of course prices.
Definitely a worthwhile visit if you want to buy some tea either for yourself or as a gift.

1  Thank j_travels_1999
Reviewed 26 June 2018

I was fortunate enough to have someone take me to this place while I visited Shanghai's sites. I am into loose tea so thought I knew what to expect and or buy. I was totally blown away by this very understated tea market. It was larger, better organized, and better stocked than anything I could have imagined. We went to several tea shops who were more than happy to serve samples of some amazing teas. Plus they have all the gear, art and anything you could think of if you like tea. After some price shopping and negotiating, I bought some white tea for a very reasonable price. I will absolutely stop by the next time I'm in town.

Reviewed 23 June 2018 via mobile

Just here now (23 June) and tasting black teas. Great service, good prices and a wide selection of different chinese tea to try. Suzie actually checks treas by tasting them three times before stocking for sale to customers. You will not get stung or cheated. I live in China and drink tea every day so I have some chance of recognizing the quality. The Jasmine was amazing, black teas even better for me.

See more reviews
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

We had a terrific experience with Susie. She was very generous with her time, explained about each of the teas we were interested in, and let us sample whatever we wanted. It’s easy to see that she is passionate about tea! Hers is the only shop we went to. She isn’t pushy, and I felt we got a terrific deal on the teas we bought. And, the tea is packaged so nicely. So glad we went to Susie’s shop! She also speaks English fluently. She said she often gets American and Australian customers.

She directed us upstairs so that we could buy a tea set. We found a lovely set for less than $50.

Tianshan Tea City is about a 15 minute walk from the metro station. I did get quite frustrated at one point finding it because my google maps decided to convert to Chinese characters, so it was hard for me to follow. Luckily, my husband is much more patient than I am, and he figured it out.

Happy tea shopping!