All reviews budget hotel walking distance six nights shopping mall housekeeping staff subway station dumplings yuan line taxis
Reviewed 12 July 2012

dirty ibis hotel I've ever met!! stinky and dirty floor inside the room, I'll never met ibis hotel like this. everyday clean up my room can't help to cleaning the room, for example they use one towell for cleaning the bathroom and bedroom too!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank dharmawan
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is a good hotel if you're on a budget. We took a Garden View Room which is quite spacious and had a big window facing the Yuyuan Garden(=Old Shanghai). The girls at reception are kind, speak a little english, but don't ask too much of them, they are not that knowledgeable.
We had 2 double beds of which one had a very hard matress; not unusual in China, but not very nice. Bathroom is clean, has a shower (thank you for the shower instead of a bath), but don't be surprised to find towels with holes in them.
Even if you're alone in the room, do ask for a second card key and leave one in the room so you can keep your room cool while away.
We asked for breakfast every morning (not even 4€) and there's plenty to eat. Mainly chinese : dim sum, noodles, vegetables, rice, sausages (taste a little strange), hard-boiled eggs, salad. There's also bread, butter, jam, fresh fruit, juice, a few cereals and coffee and tea. Don't expect the hot dishes to be "hot", they're merely lukewarm.
We've been staying 6 nights and breakfast unfortunately is the same every morning. No variation on the theme.
The location of the hotel is good if you want to be in the Old Shanghai, otherwise it's a 12 minute walk to the nearest subway station.
2 minusses : my husband left his wallet (with not even 10€ in it, luckily) on the bed; we went out for the day and when we came back, the room had been made up and the wallet was gone. I asked reception whether housekeeping had brought them a wallet, but of course not. We realized that this was our mistake and thus didn't make an issue out of it. But still we disappointed chinese people are not more honest.
3 times during our stay some girls' (prostitutes apparently) business cards were laid by our door. I showed the cards at reception and they apologized.
It stopped after I reported it. What does that mean ? Was it someone from the hotel ? I didn't think I had booked this kind of hotel.

Room Tip: 555 is quite roomy and airy.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dezdemona
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The location is quite good but the room is small and compact...more suitable for short stay. By the way, do not expect too much as the rate is really affordable as well.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This 3 star budget hotel was pleasant and reasonably priced. I stayed there for 3 nights with my partner. When we arrived the room we booked was full but we got upgraded to a family without any extra charge. We stayed an additional night at the rate of the reserved room.

The hotel is overlooking the famous yuyuan gardens, a very busy and somewhat kitschy tourist spot. Do try the nanxiang steamed bun restaurant in the gardens, its very famous in China and serves some of the best dumplings (to avoid the lines, you can eat inside at 3 different classes each with shorter lines). Nanjing road and the bund are within walking distance.

The room itself was clean, but noisy because of loud music coming from the street, which could be because we had a city facing room rather then a garden. The hotel has a terrace with terrific view of Pudong.

Overall good value for money, but nothing special.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the bund/gardens, the other side is noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple