“Spectacular in every way,from the rooms to the service it cannot be get better than this...............”

InterContinental Shanghai Expo
Ranked #37 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Of the three Intercontinental Hotels in Shanghai,each one has its own character,I visited the Expo brand a few weeks ago and arrived after midnight.Upon entering into the lobby my first impression was wow,all this space the lobby was vast areas of marble,great lighting an open area for visitors to relax and enjoy and prompt service at the 24hr coffee shop.My room was on the Club level and the extra paid for a suite was well worth it. Everything was top line from the flat screen tv's and very inviting to stay and relax the bathroom had a circular jacuzzi.When the morning sun came through the windows I could see I was located almost on the river maybe a short taxi ride from down town.

The Club floor is the largest I have ever seen,the staff exceptional and cater to every whim,the buffet breakfast was fantastic as were the views of Shanghai,this will be considered the flagship of the hotel group and the title is well deserved.The evening buffet had a huge seafood section and varied sushi and had many different stations.Adjacent to this there is a lively bar with nightly entertainment.It served as the best few days I had ever spent in Shanghai,certainly worthy visiting and excellent value for such a prestigious hotel.

Room Tip: Join the Ambassador program on line for assured upgrades upon check in...............
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
icexpo, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank you for taking time to share your nice experience with us and we're happy to hear you did enjoy a comfortable stay in our hotel. We will keep our service and facility standard. Look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 21 November 2011

This is a great place to stay in Shanghai! I was visiting the city for a trade show, and was very happy with the meals, service, and amenities. The gym is full size, so you can get a full workout--strength and aerobic. The spa is also great. I booked two at the last minute (walked in) and was able to get in. Note on the traditional Chinese Massage: it does not include feet massage, which is what I really needed after a long day on my feet!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your useful comments and we're appreciated for your satisfaction for our SPA and Gym. It's really a great place to relax. Sincerely welcome you to our hotel in the future!

Reviewed 28 October 2011

I spent almost a month here with the USA Aquatic teams for the 2011 World Championships.
The entire staff was amazing. They were willing to meet our every request, something that is not easy when you are dealing with over 150 athletes and staff. Our convention services manager, Michel Gesthuizen, met with us every day to see how things were going and what adjustments were needed. In the 20 years I have been in charge of this event all over the world this was our best ever hotel and management. But for me the best part of this hotel was the sense of serenity and peace that hit you the moment you walked in the door. And this was even with the x-ray system instituted for security during the Championships. Whether visiting some bustling part of the city or attending the competition returning to the hotel was returning to a peaceful oasis.
Some complain about the location and that may change, but you can get a taxi to almost any part of Shanghai for two or three dollars. The hotel was a wonderful place to come home to.

Room Tip: Ask for a River View, preferably high. Watching the different boats go up and down the river is very...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
icexpo, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Thank you for taking time to share such a detailed comments with us. It's our great honor to serve your team for this important World Championship. We're very appreciated for your recommendation and happy to hear that you did enjoy a great experience in our hotel. We will pass your comments to our staff Michel, and will keep the service standard and quality and show our brand culture to each guest.

Welcome to our hotel again!

Reviewed 1 October 2011

I'm an unconditional "Fan" of Intercontinental Shanghai Expo.
This Hotel is the living example on how Good Management changes everything.
The mood,attitude,motivation,and professionalism of the all staff, is reason enough for me to come back times and times again.
For those complaining about it's location,in 10 minutes and 25 RMB by taxi,you are in the Bund or Xintiandi.
Pay attention to the noise boards in the city center....80Db's....88Db's....it's not a lucky number,.....it's a serious pollution that seriously damages your health and your audition capability.
No need to say how quite,and green is the Expo Area.....minutes away from this Hell.
This time I went for a Spa Treatment.
I went for an Aromatherapy Oil Massage plus an Aromatherapy Bath.
The beautiful masseur,very professional,educated and with a perfect english.
The Spa,fantastique. Excellent equipment,and facilities,nice Tibetan music to relax.
1 to 10....I give 10
I strongly recommend, and the price...only a fraction of what we pay home.
I also highlight the Cocktail time at the Club Lounge.
It is of the highest quality,Food and Wines,and a great opportunity to socialize with the Hotel Management, coming there to greet and talk to guests, in a very nice environment.
I even was told of some special recipe,to do a tasty seafood stock, with local ingredients...thanks to the Chief from Chile.
Another highlight. Basilico Italian restaurant.
With a beautiful decoration,and real north Italy food and wine.
Very reasonable prices.
This time I stayed 2 days and went twice to Basilico.
But if you like to eat out and don't want to go far,you have a very nice Paulaner,5 minutes walking,with good German food and excellent Beer.
My office in Shanghai is in Jinan Temple,with many 5 star hotels in the area.
I stay in Shanghai at least 4 nights every month.
And Intercontinental Shanghai Expo is the place to stay if we really care of our Body and Spirit.

Room Tip: Join IC Priority Club,buy IC Ambassador tier and enjoy upgrades and other benefits
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mariomacau
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I have just spent 5 nights at this Hotel with very mixed feelings . Would I stay here again Never !
The Hotel is top drawer , great rooms ,fantastic gym / pool and very friendly staff but the location is awful and really detracts from the experience.
There really is absolutely nothing in the vicinity of the Hotel to see or do , so all activities require a 20 minute taxi drive. This on its own is not to bad as taxi fares are relatively cheap , the problem however is that quite often taxis drivers in Shanghai do not want to take a fare back to the Hotel too such an out of the way place. At times I had to stop up to 4 taxis before I could get a ride back to the Hotel.
Sunday evening at 9.50pm I want an evening meal and a nice bottle of wine, the Italian restaurant which is very good is closed , the staff send me downstairs to the Western restaurant which has virtually cleared up for the evening . I end up having a cheese and ham sandwich in my room . Not what you want from a 5 star Hotel . At least if you were situated in the City in the samecircumstance you could walk outside to a choice of restaurants. Staying at this Hotel you have no options whatsoever
They also charge for internet access in the rooms yet it is free in the lobby. Therefore a visiting non guest can walk in to the Hotel and use the free WIFI but if you are paying £200 per night for a deluxe room, buying beer a £8.00 a pint in the bar you are charged £10 per day. Will someone please explain the commercial rational of this to me ??
A real shame but my advice is avoid this Hotel , I really wish I had not stayed here ! sorry

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the River , Eat early , bring in your own water , very expensive at the bar
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
icexpo, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental Shanghai Expo, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're very appreciated for your comments and give us a direction to improve.