“Great location, decent hotel”

Baron Business Hotel
Ranked #464 of 5,249 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed 10 February 2017 via mobile

The hotel is very close to both the Bund and Nanjing road, which was quite convenient. A few minutes walk in any direction will bring you to small roadside restaurants.

The building of the hotel itself looks very old and dusty from the outside. The lobby is nice, however the hotel staff speak no english at all. The rooms are spacious, nicely decorated and quite clean, but also quite old. The cleaning ladies were very thorough and always left our room nicely tidied.

One major issue is the wifi - it is extremely patchy and we had to request an extender to be installed in our room. Apparently everyone asks for the same thing as they were out when we asked and had to wait till the next day. With the extender the wifi was much better. There is also only one english channel so we were stuck watching that for our entire stay.

Additionally, there is a clocktower 5 minutes from the hotel which rings every 15 minutes, even through the night, it seems like. We just learned to tune it out.

Despite all this, our stay was in fact quite pleasant, and the location of the hotel makes up for the shortcomings.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

You should not stay, in this hotel it is so bad and should not be 4 stars. The only positive with this hotel is the location. Otherwise the service is bad hardly speak English, the tricked us that breakfast was open but it was not because of the Chinese new year.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Nana P
Reviewed 11 January 2017

Baron Hotel, Shanghai, China

My wife and I (both 60 years old), were staying at Baron Hotel, Shanghai, on 29-31, December, 2016.

The most attractive futures of this hotel are:
Location - a few blocks way to riverside of the Huangpu River (East Zhongshan First Road), which is the heart of old/new Shanghai. The pick-up/drop-off stops of the City Sight-seeing busses are at this side also.
Vegetables/fruits and small grocery shops are around the corner.
Our room was very big and comfortable.
Cleanliness, Customer-friendly staff,
Currency exchange may be done at concierge desk.
All of the above make our stay a really Baron-style! (Baron = Tycoon)

General Note.
If the tourist is not speaking Chinese dialects – difficulties in communications guarantied in China. Be ready! Have addresses of your destination written in Chinese, and with the phone number of destination. People of China are very friendly, and they will do best to assist you.
It is very instrumental that Baron Hotel provides its address, directions and map on its business card (attached).

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2016 via mobile

I went to Shanghai with my sister, and she is very sensitive about sleeping, so I worried a lot to choose hotel. and finally I decided to stay at Baron hotel. This hotel is very quite at night, there was no noise at all. and very close to waitan. We took a walk every night. soooo nice. but the water pressure is a bit bad. but I didn't care it. Hot water was so good too. Generally, I appreciate about this hotel.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 December 2016

When I booked this hotel due to 'Business' being in its name and it's close proximity to The Bund, I did expect a bit more than what I had received unfortunately, but it did disappoint. In places the wallpaper was peeling off.

There are no frills, but there was a night robe, shower gels etc. and the usual slippers.
My first room given was awful with another 'hollow' stairwell room visible from the window. This room also smelt like nicotine, so I had to move as I had requested ' non smoking' room. The second room was nicer and smelt better, but the bed linen was not wholly clean and had a few stains with a tear in it. The finishing of the bathroom left a lot to be desired, and the night's sleep was awful with the nearby but charming bell which struck which seemed like every 30 minutes! The staff seemed pleasant enough, but the night guard was sleeping on the job when we got back late in full view (a regular occurrence here).

West Nanjing road Metro station is not too far away and there are lots of shops around including Forever 21 and Chinese shops, so the hotel's location is quite good as it's just a 15 minute walk away from this and a view of The Bund.

I had intended to do some work on my Mac but unfortunately the wifi did not work well AT ALL and I am a professional who has travelled many many times!

I don't think that I could stay at this hotel again which looks dyer from outside on the main road, but my friend had a pleasant experience here with a 'lovely room' (better grade) on another visit so you never know.

Room Tip: Wifi is not very strong. Upgrade to a better quality of room!