All reviews city sightseeing simple hotel strategic location english speakers nanjing vpn line
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Fuzhou Lu sounds a good location. In fact the hotel is squeezed between other buildings. The first room we got was to the road side (hotel is in the second row, a kind of back yard). Facing the window was a balcony of the opposite building. Just centimeters away, an office behind, an Airconditioner running, very noisy. Ask for another room, got one in 4th floor. more than 75% of the window were covered by the opposite wall. Very dary, but not noisy at least. Very hard beds and I usually sleep hard.
We have booked with American breakfast, prepaid. They were trying to charge us again. The breaksfat was not worth a single Yuan. Amercan means they have Toast AND a Toaster. Orange jiuce was looking like made from powder. For that price, you can go to JinJiang hotel or Motel 168....

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2011

The best part of this hotel is the location...it is a block away from the Bund, and a few blocks walk to the subway (which is very easy to navigate, by the way!). At first this hotel was a little hard to find, because it is set back from the street; but there is a red neon sign with the name of the hotel, so it was only 10 seconds of confusion. Fuzhou Street is home to some great bookstores and stationary stores...it is famous for these things in Shanghai, and definitely worth a stroll down the street. Being so close to the Bund also means you are surrounded by great colonial architecture. The front desk staff were good for the basics, but if you don't speak Chinese and are asking for something a little outside of the box, it's best to have a Chinese dictionary with you...I had to consult it a couple of times, but had no real problems. PS-a couple of blocks away there is a Starbucks and a Wagas, a restaurant that has great sandwiches and salads.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank stephanieahensley
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This hotel is located within walking distance (less than 5 minutes) to the touristy hotspot 'The Bund'. It is right next to the subway and within walking distance (10minutes max) to Nanjing Road & Yu Yuan Bazaar.

The service was great. Initially they put me in a smoking room but when I realised, I asked to change rooms and they were very happy for me to change. No fuss at all. They speak a bit of english - it's enough for check-in and check-out. They have a nice cosy restaurant on ground level with tasty food but there is no non-smoking area so all the other smoking patrons really ruined my experience.

The rooms are tidy and medium sized. Not much of a view as the hotel only has 5 floors and taller adjacent buildings block the view of The Bund. (you can just walk there anyway). Each room has LAN internet - cables are provided in rooms.

Best feature would be the location.
Least liked feature would be absence of no-smoking zones.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephanie_sydney
Reviewed 17 November 2010

We stayed 6 nights- Our room included breakfast- However it did not matter what time we ent down for breakfast there was always piles of dirty plates and rubbish on the tables. Staff did not care as they just stood around. The food was not suitable for Western cuisine. The only food item we could eat was fried eggs and they were cold. We usually had to ask for toast and butter to be topped up.
We used the Dinning Room one night and this was a a disaster- The same staff were rosterd on- The dirty plates were all over the dinning room. I asked for local beer and it was served hot- It was opended before I was aware it was not cold. When I complained ice arrived to put to my hot beer.
The overall counter service left a lot to be desired. The staff could not undertand our requirements. I asked if I could use the internet service and was sent to the Business Centre. However they only grunted as they could not understand our request.
However on the plus side it was close to the Bund.
I could not recommed this Hotel ..
We not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BRIDAWSO
Reviewed 9 July 2010

A long flight from Australia and I just wanted to get to bed. Caught the MegLev from the airport and then the number two train to East Nanjing Station, use the number three exit and go to your right. It is about a five minute walk to this hotel,

Just ignore the touts who want to sell you stuff or take you to a tea ceremony (where you'll be ripped off!) and go to your hotel.

The Baron Bund hotel is set back from the road but easy to see if you are following the street numbers.

I arrived and presented my Agoda booking slip (very handy with the address written in Chinese). I was greeted at the desk and the gentleman seemed to have trouble finding my booking. The lady in charge came along, apologised for the delay, made a phone call and then everything was fine.

My room on the second floor whilst dark was large with a huge bathroom and bath to soak in after walking around town all day. A couple of English channels on the tele to listen to whilst catching up in the fast internet. The AC worked properly.

Bed was China hard but I am getting used to this and the pillows meant I slept well.

Whilst my staff contact was minimal they were unfailingly polite and pleased to see me even if they didn't speak English (nor do I speak Chinese).

Lots of small eating places nearby which are cheap.

Go to the riverside before sunset to see the sights and soak up the atmosphere. The crowds are huge so get a good spot early.

Take the Bund sightseeing tour under the river, just a short walk from the Baron Bund.

There is a lot to see and do very near here so enjoy The Baron Bund hotel for what it is, a tourist hotel that is clean and safe, and offers a good nights sleep.

When departing early in the morning the check out gentleman made sure my taxi driver knew to take me to MagLev train which I then caught to the airport.

I would happily return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo