“Loved it”

Ranked #100 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Montreal, Canada
“Loved it”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Well ocated, all amenities, free Wi-Fi offered in rooms, good restaiurant, the pool is great and the location of this hotel is something to select ot for. There are many thing you can do near by and the metro is accessible (assuming you read Chinese).

we would recommend Radisson Blu anytime after this experience in Shanghai.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Oslo
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Good standard
A few employees need to be credited for their efforts
Location if you are going to the Formula 1 Grand Prix
Location for the 51 other weeks in the year
Poor service from most employees mostly due to poor English / laziness / incompetence.

I used Club Carlson points to pay for the room (15000 points / night for a standard room. Breakfast not included).

First of all, this hotel is really really far away from the city!! I had not realized that before. It is located nearby the Shanghai Railway station West on subway line 11. That line goes further north towards the automotive city, and before that the Shanghai racetrack where the Formula 1 Grand Prix occurs. In that respect the location is great, but if like us you like to hang out in the city then avoid this hotel. Also the subway line 11 closes at 10 pm and the ride by taxi is pretty long and will set you back about 50 CNY from the French concession.

Other than that, it’s of coursen a standard business hotel. Nicely appointed, not too big but still a business hotel.

Our check in experience was good. The front office manager was nice, spoke good English and upgraded us to a junior suite with city view. From then on though, our stay went from bad to worse.

Once in the room, we realized it was not that practical. Long hallways, dead end corners, no privacy between the toilets and the rest of the room, and worst of all a very very soft bed. Surprising for China, as usually beds are quite hard.

Anyways, the following day at the front desk, where there were several Chinese employees and a Caucasian one, we requested a hard madras. That was probably not very well understood since when we got back to our room in the evening, there was a wooden plank on our bed! The plank was not even covering the whole bed, and was really really hard! Needless to say we went back down and requested to get it fixed asap. The staff then removed the over madras just to leave the main thick madras on the bed. Still sleep comfort was quite low, and the staff really wasn’t helpful about finding a solution. To be honest I don’t even think we were difficult, the madras was simply too soft, and too uneven; you would sink into it in some places and stay on top in others. Not good at all!

Another story is the one of our breakfast in the room, after our second night. We filled in the card “feed your soul”, requesting breakfast in our room at 10am, and placed the card outside the room before the requested time, and went to bed. The following morning, at 10:30 am there was still no breakfast. I opened the door to check if the card had been picked up and it had not. Quite crossed, I headed down to the front desk, with the card in my hand, and asked them as politely as I could, what the frack was going on? They arrogantly responded that we needed to hang it out on the door before 2am, and that next time I should do that in order to get breakfast. Furious, I replied that it was hanged out around 1am, and that instead of blaming the guest maybe they should focus on actually doing their job. The front office manager (a man, not the lady from before) hearing the last bit of the conversation heads towards us, and asks what is happening after explaining the story yet again, he repeats that the card needs to be hanged out before 2 am. I protest, and tired of arguing I leave. The manager catches up with me before I reach the elevator, apologises and says he will take care of it.

15 minutes later, our doorbell rings, and a young lady introduces herself as the F&B assistant manager. She apologises for the whole thing and says that this breakfast is of course complimentary. The breakfast ended up being quite good, and after a while our doorbell rings again. The same lady appears, apologising again for them not doing their job, and offers us a box of chocolates. She also says that if we would like breakfast for the following days, she would take care of it, free of charge. We were of course satisfied with the ending, and happy that some people went extra length to correct other laziness and incompetence.

However the story does not quite end up here. When we came back to the hotel that day, there was no “feed your soul” breakfast card in our room. Tired of trying to make us understood and with early plans for the following days we just gave up…

Finally, at check out, the person working at the front desk, one that I had not seen before, did not address a single word to me, except “sign here”. Not good enough Radisson!

Would I go back to this hotel? Probably not. The only exception was if I had business around or was attending the Formula 1 Grand Prix.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jamesbond_ppk
Arne H, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai Hong Quan, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Dear sir,

I would like to thank you for your review and I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences we caused during your stay. As you can see from our other reviews we are continuously focusing on guest services and guest satisfaction and this is the main reason why our guests are enjoying their stay with us. Unfortunately there were a few mistakes made during your stay which influenced your experience negatively. There for I hope you can send me an email to aheuwekemeijer@radisson.com with your contact details and I am hopeful that I can make things right for you.

Again my sincere apology and I hope to be able to welcome you back in Shanghai at any time of the year.

Best regards

Arne Heuwekemeijer
caracas
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I spent a day in this hotel, and it was a great surprise. Wifi is included, breakfast is very good, the rooms are nice and clean, well decorated and modern. But the staff was something distinctive doing their best to make me feel warm and pampered looking for something special that would make me happy. And even though it really is in the middle of nowhere it has a train station two blocks away that can take you anywhere and it is still close to the F1 circuit. All and all it is an extraordinary choice for the money you pay. i

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 21 April 2012

everything is good except location. Location of this hotel is in the middle of nowhere..!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2012

For the price I paid, I was surprised the room was that good! I have stayed in another 4-star hotel a few days ago and this Radisson hotel beats the other one hands down.
Location was slightly off, as it is far from downtown, though still about 5 minutes walk to subway station.
All in all I loved my stay here and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends