“What an amazing hotel. Incredible service and excellent staff!!”

Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai
Ranked #126 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
NingBo
“What an amazing hotel. Incredible service and excellent staff!!”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

I have stayed in a lot of corporate hotels all over the world and despite that I have to say that this hotel was by far the best in all categories. The employees were always smiling and very helpful. We stayed at the crowne plaza for three days and I wish I could have stayed longer. Although there was a small mix up with our initial room booking (an error from the company who booked the room for us not the hotel's fault) the check in staff fixed it within a few minutes. Very professional and well trained staff who all seemed to want to make our stay as pleasant as possible. I could also see that they had systems in place for international visitors that would facilitate a better service or communication but all staff spoke very good English and translated for us where we needed it. We were so impressed with this hotel we are recommending it to all our friends (who also live in and outside of china) and we will be staying there next time we visit Shanghai (which will be soon hopefully). Keep up the wonderful job.

Room Tip: The corner suite was a fantastic room
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sean W
Dominic B, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this review, 10 January 2012
Dear Sean W,

Thank you for your reveiw and great comments that will make the team feel so good when I share it to them. It is very motivating to see how our staff has had an impact that it did and thanks for your recommendations to your colleagues.

If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to let me know.

With best regards,
dominic.brennan@ihg.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 December 2011

The morning buffet of this hotel is very good with lots of varieties, not enough dim sum though.

It takes about 15 minutes to walk to the closest subway station (#2 line). Also there are not too many groceries/convenient stores around this hotel.

But if you want a foot massage, there is one right opposite to the hotel.

A local taxi driver told me this hotel was the worst five star hotel in the Shanghai Pudong area. I do not know whether it is true though.

Room Tip: As for a big bed (Queen or King) instead of a double bed room. I saw both and found the double bed...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RaymondHua
DFBShanghai, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Century Park Shanghai, responded to this review, 8 December 2011
Dear RaymondHua,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we really appreciate your comments. There are now two metro stops close by, Metro two and metro nine, both being a nice safe 9 - 12 minutes walk. On the other side of the hotel is thumb plaza which is full of restaurants, bars and shops and also just 10 minutes by walk or two minutes by taxi. Of course if you are doing business at the Shanghai Exhibition Centre, Jin Qiao, Zhangjiang high tech park or Lujiazui then we are the place to be.

There are taxi issues in the city, with many cloned and fake taxis going around and to protect our guests we have taken up issues with local authorities. You can email me so we can take it up further off line. We believe we run a great hotel though.

Looking forward to hear from you and your next visit,

India
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Best was that it was a 5-7 minute taxi ride from the expo centre .

Ideal hotel for a business traveller. Rooms spacious, bathroom excellent. Service is just outstanding . You tell them and it's done within the next 5-10 minutes. They had their manager coming to fix up my Internet on iPhone . Since was a priority pass member , I got free Internet for my stay which was just gr8. Breakfast wide spread though wish there was some more as an strict vegetarian. Didn't get time to check on other facilities since was busy with work. Would not mind trying out the club room next time .

• Stayed November 2011
Dear Anant28,
Thank you very much for your kind review that we will share with our team here. We are really looking forward to welcome you back in the future.

Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed 27 November 2011

Now for the six th. times at this hotel without writing how excelent the position inside Shanghai and how well the hotel is doing it's service. Very clean hotel and very friendly, language can be an issue, but if so staff very quickly connect you to an english speaking person. This hotel is highly recomended.

Room Tip: Always book from website, then you will be given best price, if you do not have a local company who...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dear Torben H,
Thank you very much for your nice review that we will share with the team. I'm looking forward to welcoming you again in the future,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I travel monthly across Asia and usually stay only with the IHG group - i.e. Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza and Intercontinental brands. The Crowne Plaza (CP) in Pudong is really a fine choice. It is very close to the nearest metro station (Science and Technology museum, a slow, 15-min stroll) and from there you can connect to anywhere in the city or the airport. The high-speed Maglev stops two stations away and you can either hitch a cab ride or switch lines to the museum. When arriving at night it is very reassuring to see the Crowne Plaza logo bruning like a beacon in the skyline to guide to its front door.

The IHG group have a thing called a "Club room" which is just about the best kept secret in the industry. For example, the cheapest room at the CP is about US$200. Then you need to add breakfast and internet charges. For US$250 you can get a club room, which is marketed as including free internet and breakfast, but this is only half the story.

The main perk is access to the Club Lounge where one eats breakfast (less of a spread than in the main dining area, but not crowded and ample choice). One also has free Wifi in the lounge and free, unlimited wired Internet in the room.

But additional (and unpublished) perks include:

* Free coffee and tea in the lounge throughout the day.
* happy hour in the evenings where drinks are free and there are snacks, and if you are not very hungry this could be dinner too.
* You also get a free meeting room (2 hours) for business meetings
* 20% discount on laundry (which I inevitably need)
* Two items ironed for free per day (That's my shirts taken care of)
* 2 free drinks daily from the mini bar (which is usually prohibitively expensive)
* Very late check out (16:00)
* And 50% discount on hotel transport.

Now add that all up and you are WAY over the $50 difference.

The room itself is very generous and the bathroom is enormous. The quality of the fixtures is outstanding and the service is top notch. I had a small technical problem in the bathroom which I reported to the Guest Service Centre as I stepped out for breakfast. By the time I came back from breakfast the problem was fixed, my room was made up and the laundry had been collected.

I also use the gym whenever I travel and this gym is clean and well serviced. The sauna was deserted as were the pool and jacuzzi.

This is really a haven at a very reasonable price. The same thing in Hong Kong or Singapore would cost you about US$380.

If there is one criticism it is the muzak which is piped through all the public spaces (lobby, lounge, club lounge). It would drive me berserk to listen to more than 5 minutes of senseless, ambient, neutral, one-key droning and I pity the mental health of staff who work in these areas.

Apart form that I really find this place brilliant and will remain a loyal customer, even if I have to walk around with earphones...

Room Tip: Any room on the club floors. They treat you like royalty.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank uncleknop
Dear uncleknop,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice and detailed review. I totally agree the club floor benefits are ideal for any business traveler and just to make it better we have just launched free wifi in all club floor rooms, then combine that with free wifi at the lounge and all public areas we are constantly making progress for improved services.

We very much look forward to welcome you again in the near future.