All reviews lunch and dinner fish other guests sea snakes local village day trip the managers a special place wonderful staff scuba diving paddle boarding low tide boat ride bar area suva airport meal plan food was amazing
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Stayed on Toberua Island for 8 days and did not want to leave! Well organized holiday experience from the pick up at the airport to drop off at the airport ....nothing to fault! Staff are friendly, helpful and genuinely happy. They don't expect a tip and are still full of smiles and laughter!
Our bure (bungalow) was fantastic, traditional with a very modern twist, well appointed, very clean and comfortable with the convenience of your own semi-open air bathroom, large deck overlooking the sea just steps away from water, with your own hammock, sunlougers and deckchairs. The pool is small but refreshing...
Overall a very small island with only 15 bure's (so no overcrowding) gives a nice family feeling, and the staff the opportunity to get to know you by name.
The food was plenty with a good breakfast, 10 o'clock tea, 3 course lunch, 4 pm tea and 4 course dinner under the stars.... All food was delicious and freshly cooked by a very accomplished chef! The food was of high standard, lovely flavour and high quality.
Because there is nothing to do on the island but relax , sun, sleep and eat...the staff put on daily activities which if you whish you can take part in free off charge...snorkel trips are arranged daily free of charge...you 0nly have to pay for diving courses or your tank if you are a padi diver and day trips away from the island...but all is affordable!
We enjoyed the island very much and would recommend this resort to anybody....
We brought a laptop and videos etc...because there is no TV but we did not feel inclined to take it out once!
You will leave the island tanned, relaxed, a few pounds heavier but with a smile on your face and in your heart!
If the world was not so big and if there were not soo many places to see I would definitely come back.....
Shelley the manager (who has only been there for 2 months!) is doing an amazing job to keep it all organized and to your liking...she is always around to make the stay even more comfortable and to keep you safe ( she makes sure life jackets are on board etc. when the staff take you out etc...not that they were needed! The staff know the area really well and look after you as if you were one of their own!)
Vinaka Vaka Levu ...Toberua staff.!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GreySkinnedBoy
Reviewed 30 July 2010

My husband and I stayed on Toberua for 5 nights and it was incredible. I had read all the reviews and seen many photos before arriving, but they didn't capture at all how magical it was stepping onto the island. We arrived at nighttime after a long day of travelling. As we went out on the boat it became quieter and quieter, and finally we were greeted by beautiful voices with guitars. People carried our bags and we were given tropical drinks straight away. The island was most beautifully lit up and it was like walking through a magical forest with small paths weaving through. We checked out our beautiful bure then went straight to dinner - their weekly gourmet BBQ on a Saturday night. During our week we met some wonderful couples, swam in the pool, went snorkelling by the reef, went on an incredible village visit with a full welcome, kava, and tour, had 3-course lunches every day and 4-course dinners, swam some more, kayaked, played darts, drank, watched a coconut demonstration, flax weaving demonstration, heard storytelling, and were serenaded each night at dinner. Several nights there were only a few of us in the bar and we effectively had our own barman and three serenaders all to ourselves. The staff were so friendly and the food was wonderful. We had fresh fish, beef, pork... you name it, I have never been so full in my life! Our leaving night and special leaving song was very sad, and I can't wait to go back. It is worth all the money and travelling in the world.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MiekeandLance
Reviewed 28 July 2010

I recently spent five fantastic nights on Toberua Island with my wife and sons, aged 3 and 1. On the way home we stopped in a more commercial Island in the Mamanuca Islands which we also enjoyed for other reasons. Toberua was great. It ticked all of my boxes. It was beautiful, the accommodation was very comfortable and spacious, the staff were incredibly friendly and with much effort even won over my very clingy one year old, the band were a highlight and at night the atmosphere was super relaxed and fun. It doesn't have a kids club (there is very flexible babysitting) if that is what you want but this did not matter to us as it meant that my wife and I spent the days with our boys, boating, kayaking, on the beach, swimming in the pool, in the hammock, playing golf at low tide and amusing ourselves with the array of games they have in the bar area. They had great outings including snorkelling, scuba (by all accounts to great dive locations) a visit to a nearby village and a glass bottom boat. I cannot rave enough about the friendliness of the staff who really made our experience. I should add that it is a mission crossing the Island to get to Toberua, Fijian transport is notoriously hit and miss. However in this case the mission is well worth it and I certainly plan to go back when the boys are a bit older.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank alandjames
Reviewed 12 July 2010

My partner and I arrived on the island feeling welcome from the start. The staff are amazing (and genuine!). They all know you by name and treat you like family. Rooms very nice and spacious. Modern, with a true Fijian touch. We stayed in one near the 'sea wall' side, which always had a nice breeze to keep you cool (can get humid and warm on other parts of the island).

Food was excellent. Good variety and well presented. Lunch and dinner always had a fish option. Not 5 star; but that is not what it is claiming to be. Beverages were slightly overpriced; but we are on a small island here...things don't get there easily.

My partner and I did some diving (myself my 1st PADI course). Joe (Dive Master) and his brother (Kelly) are amazing! Took us to some beautiful spots. Saw lots of small sharks, fish, corals, turtles, eels, etc. Diving in the area is good (without being great). We were there just after the cyclone, so water was still a bit merky in spots. Great snorkeling near the island via small boat. Worth taking the day out to "Picnic Island". Beautiful white sand (which Toberua is missing unfortunately). Just make sure to bring lots of sunscreen! My partner highly recommends the reef golf. Played with some of the staff and guests. Massage was one of the best I have ever had....also highly recommended.

Overall we were very impressed with our stay at Toberua. It is truely a little hidden gem. Very sad to leave, but hope to return soon. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JacTravels07
Reviewed 9 July 2010

June is actually Fiji's winter and our first 2 days was clouded by rain and cool weather. The accommodations and staff are truly excellent but we found the food lacking-the same commercial vanilla ice cream offered for dessert and no exciting seafood was served (no crab, scallops, lobster, etc. Mushy shrimp was served one night out of 5 and overcooked mahi mahi frequented the menu although the beef, lamb and chicken were of good quality). Great place for families-our visit was shared with 10 children from families in Australia-we happen to love children so not a problem for us-lots of games, pool table, books, some activities and a pool to keep kids occupied.....Resort is all inclusive in terms of meals except for juices and drinks at the bar. Boxed or canned juice is offered complimentary only at breakfast. Cheese plate was a disaster-same fruit from breakfast and 2 cheeses: white cheddar and cream cheese and 3 Ritz crackers. I am only mentioning the food because on the return trip home, a Burger King Whopper and Odwalla's Superfood juice tasted like the best food we ate all week. And don't buy anything from Suva's airport cafe past security-worst food EVER. Back to resort: View from Bure's are spectacular-teeny tiny island-literally stroll around in less than 20 mins, no waterfall and no hiking opportunities. Picnic island ($) is a must-lots of coral, small shells and colorful fish. Village visit ($) was sullied by chief's constant plug for donations-highlight was the watered down Kava drink. Recommend coconut demonstration. Passed on scuba ($$)-maybe try next time? Daily snorkel trips are recommended-visits to Shark rock, secret garden, sacred garden, and sand banks were fun. Saw lots of harmless reef shark, a puffer fish, ubiquitous blue starfish, loads of colorful reef fish and thick black and white sea snakes (think broom handle thick). The kids at the resort had a blast collecting discarded sea snake skin (shedding) at night. Recommend the inclusive non-motorized water sports-kayaks, Hobie cat, etc great way to exercise if swimming is not your forte. Finished 2 books in 5 days but that's was ok as goal was to lie in a hammock everyday. Next visit will shell out even more money for supersoft sand beach and better food. Oh yes and the massage was nice but was not Shiatsu or Swedish-more like lots of oil and some rubbing.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends