All reviews lunch and dinner fish other guests sea snakes local village day trip the managers a special place wonderful staff scuba diving paddle boarding low tide boat ride bar area suva airport meal plan food was amazing
Reviewed 10 August 2006

We recently visited Toberua for what can only be described as ten days of bliss!!

Toberua is a small island with only 15 bures, which means that guests are limited. Despite the size, there is plenty to do on the island including swimming, snorkelling, trips to nearby islands etc. Alternatively you can choose to do nothing except sit on the beach or in a hammock and feast on the delicious meals.

Lunches are 3 courses and dinners are 4, supplemented with morning and afternoon tea as well as a buffet breakfast. Unfortunately after day 2 my medium-sized stomach had to cut back to a maximum of two courses - bummer!! The menu will always have one seafood dish, and without exception the food is tremendous. As I said my only regret is that I couldn't eat all of it!

Our 3 year old son had an absolute blast. The water on the beach is very shallow and so great for small kiddies. The fish swim around you and will even feed out of your hand. He basically roamed the island (a parent behind of course) and was quite happy exploring the various nooks and crannies as well as the resident parrots.

The bures are lovely and well-appointed, and the indoor-outdoor bathrooms are gorgeous.

Toberua was very special mainly due to the friendliness of the staff. I can't remember going to any other place where the staff made such an impression. Because they live on the island you get a chance to know them, and for them to know you. This made a big difference especially to our son who felt like he had a whole lot of new friends.

I was impressed by how many repeat visitors come to the island - we met a family who had been there 12 times, and a couple whose parents had been there over 30 times!!

I would certainly go back and would recommend it to couples and famlies with small children.

3  Thank BC001
Reviewed 16 July 2006

We have recently returned from our 3rd trip to Toberua....and can say for certain it will not be our last!!

This is the perfect place to unwind. You can relax here, secure in the knowledge that you will be well looked after. The staff and management at Toberua genuinely care about making your holiday in Fiji as memorable and positive an experience as possible, and will go out of their way to ensure that any requests from guests are promptly attended to. Everyone greets you by name from the moment you arrive, making you feel truly welcome. Indeed, even the resident parrot Jack will often take the time to say 'Bula' or 'Hello' as you walk past!

It is interesting that other resorts sometimes claim that lower quality food is an unavoidable part of staying on an island - clearly, anyone who believes this has never been to Toberua! The food here is absolutely amazing. Three or four course lunches and dinners are the norm, and every dish is always superb. This is the one restaurant in which I have dined where I will try each and every dish with absolute confidence that it will be delicious. The live Fijian music each night during dinner, courtesy of the Toberua Serenaders, further enhances the dining experience. As you sit at your candlelit table, listening to their beautiful singing whilst looking out at the many stars, with the soft sound of the ocean in the background, I can guarantee you will never want to leave.

Apart from eating (look forward to breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner)there are also lots of other activities available! Snorkelling trips are organised most days, and also offered are excursions to different nearby islands, village visits, daytrips to Suva or Levuka, Diving and fishing expeditions, and daily reef golf. Plus if theres ever something you want to do that does not seem to be listed, just ask and you can rest assured that management will do all they can to accomodate your request.

Vinaka vakalevu to all the team at Toberua for another wonderful holiday - we will be back!!

• Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank aussie_angel82
Reviewed 8 May 2006

My husnad and I went to Toberua as part of our honemoon round the world trip and thought it was the perfect place to relax after we had been to Bangkok and Sydney.
The island is very small which is the reason why I chose the resort. We spent 8 nights there so we saw quite a few couples coming and going and the average age was about 30, primarily couples on their honeymoon. However I have been advised by the staff that normally a lot of retired people as well as families like to go there too so you can really expect to find people of all ages.
The island offers a number of activities for those who like to do something. You can play table tennis, reef golf, mini golf, volleyball etc. They also organise plenty of snorkelling trips and are always happy to take you smorkelling even though it wasn't planned for the day. My husband also went fishing (see photos) and really enjoyed the experience. The kitchen staff were kind enough to cook the fish he caught that morning.
The accomodation is really nice, lovely wooden ceilings with coconut palm beams.
But in my opinion what made the island really special, were the staff and the food. The staff are genuinely happy to help, always at your disposal should you need anything. They are really professional and multi tasked, somebody cleaning the beach in the morning might serve cocktails in the evening or sing a song during dinner. Like other people explained, some of them have worked on the island for over 25 years.
The food is always fresh and the chef remembers what date couples check in and out and make sure you never try the same dish twice. I loved their selection of tropical fruit for breakfast and will never forget their tasty desserts.
If I have to be really picky, I could say that there weren't enough loungers by the pool so in the morning there was a race to grab any available ones.
Another problem, the snakes. One evening we had approximately 10 snakes trying to go to our bure but to be fair, they don't bother humans. They basically go to the shores once every 2-3 months to digest their food so all they really want is to sleep and be left in peace. Another problem was the number of noisy gekkos chasing each other when we were trying to sleep.
The beach was also tiny, when the tide was high, the beach on the right side of the island disappears alltogether and the other one becomes really really small so people ended up staying by the pool all the time.
So all in all, a nice experience but for somebody living in the UK, it is just easier and cheaper to go to places like the Maldives.

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank Jukkaire
Reviewed 28 March 2006

From what I had read, I was expecting Toberua to be fantastic - and it was! We spent the last 5 nights of our 3-week holiday here and couldn't have picked a better place. Toberua is easy to get to from Nousori Airport. You are collected from the airport, taken to Toberua's river landing, and then taken by boat to Toberua (about half an hour trip down out the river mouth to the open sea and Toberua Island Jetty). There is no small boat transfers or wading through water!
We loved our private ocean-front bure - the huge towering ceiling, large covered verandahs, indoor/outdoor shower, hammock in the shade, water lapping close by, etc. The food was excellent and the staff and service unfaultable.
The Island itself is interesting and beautiful with sandy paths, towering shady coconut palms, and changing scenery with high and low tide. One soon gets used to the banded sea snakes sleeping in cool hollows quite oblivious to the coming and goings of guests.
There is plenty to do if you can raise the energy - from reef golf to water sports - lazing around the pool, table tennis, village visit, Bird Island visit, fishing, etc.
Don't miss the bbq on Picnic Island. The staff pack everything you can think of (including beach umbrellas) A beautiful little island with white powdery sand, and exceptionally good snorkelling. While you're in the water, staff are preparing the most wonderful bbq.
Everything about our Toberua experience was a joy - the staff were just so friendly and helpful. We were sorry to leave and hope to go back again one day.
If you only have a chance to visit one place in Fiji go to Toberua - you won't be disappointed.

4  Thank Yvonne W
Reviewed 17 March 2006

My husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at Toberua Island Resort. We had a very difficult time leaving. We have stayed at many small luxurious resorts around the world, and this one is truly special.

The location is idyllic and remote, and is a short cab ride and a 30 min boat ride from Suva-Nausori airport. We were welcomed upon our boat's arrival at the dock by the staff and a group of talented musicians. Everyone on staff knew our names before we stepped off the boat.

We have 5 criteria which we use to evaluate our vacations: food, diving, accommodation, bugs, and staff/service. Toberua Island Resort was exceptional on all five dimensions. The food was excellent. Fresh tropical fruits (including the best papaya on the planet) and freshly baked muffins were served every day along with a cooked-to-order hot breakfast. Fresh fish was on the menu for every lunch and dinner during our stay. The diving was great -- My husband and I were the only divers at the resort and scheduled when we wanted to dive each day. We saw a wide variety of pristine hard corals, sharks, massive turtles, schools of colorful fish, clown fish with anemones and much, much more. Our room was a deluxe oceanfront bure with an indoor/outdoor bathroom, traditional furnishings, and a beautiful view of the sea. There were no bugs -- no mosquitos, biting flies or other annoying pests. And last but not least, the staff.. the friendliest and most professional staff I have ever encountered. Some of them have been there since the resort opened 30 years ago.

The local village tour was the highlight of our visit. Many of the staff from Toberua come from the local village and accompanied us on the tour. We were greeted with beautiful flower leis and music. We walked around the village, visited the local school, had afternoon tea, and drank kava, sang, and danced with the villagers.

We highly recommend the resort for small families, or for couples who want to be away from it all (including tv, telephone, A/C). Many guests are repeat visitors - one couple during our stay had been there 8 times.

• Stayed: March 2006