All reviews lunch and dinner fish other guests sea snakes local village day trip the managers a special place wonderful staff scuba diving paddle boarding low tide boat ride bar area suva airport meal plan food was amazing
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The food was simply AMAZING... We arrived from the Namale resort in Savusavu which could have been difficult to live up to. However, Toberua was really great...Fastastic bure's with lot's of room inside but a little to close to each other. Some are even semi-detached bure's. However, you are at sea level and so close to the ocean that you could feel like your room is floating.
The only downside is that when the weather gets rough, the sea snakes come to shore. Therefore, you need to sleep with the doors shut, unless you want and undesired visitor in your room! I don't understand why they don't have screen doors to kept the unwanted out and the ocean brise in. This really takes away from the experience. The snakes are harmless to humans but they are still big snakes. Anywhere from 3 to 13 feet long. They are poiseness but to whatever they eat because the fangs are further back and therefore, they can't really bite a human.
The staff at the dive shop are great. The have very good scuba gear and snorkling gear. They also have kayaks, a hobby cat and lot's of water toys. When the tide goes down, you can play golf on the reef. I wouldn't get a membership but it was pretty cool to play. The spa is small and intimate but you can get all the usual treatments.
Consider that the island is about a 30 minute river & ocean boat ride away from shore. It takes about a total of 1 hour from the airport to reach the island.
The best thing about the island is the fact that it only has 12 bure's, the staff is great and the food is simply outstanding.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MichaelW66
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I can start this review with one phrase 'Wow what a wonderful place' From start to finish all aspects were of 5 star standard. It was great for us adults and our two kids 9 & 5 thought they were in heaven.
When you get off the boat at the dock, the staff meet you and already know you by name. They then walk you through the palm trees to show you the main parts of the island, pool, restaurant, bar where your welcome drinks are. You are then taken to your bure. The bure's are big and super comfortable and well appointed. No tv was what we wanted and the kids didn't miss it at all. The way they open right onto the beach is amazing and we spent heaps of time in the hammock.
Plenty of relax time but also plenty to do. The kids were never bored. Swimming, fishing, snorkeling, sailing, diving, kayaking, path putting and more.
The food was fantastic. Every meal was excellent and super fresh. Probably the only one they could improve was the cheese and fruit plate. It is pretty cool how they take your order from the ever changing menu a couple of hours before lunch and dinner. If you are out on the water, no worries, they come out on a boat and find you.
All this sounds great, but the people are the best thing. The staff could not be better. So friendly and helpful and great with the kids. We also have never met so many other guests on a holiday. We made friends from USA, NZ, and many from Oz. it was like being on holiday with friends only you hadn't left home with any.
Shelley and Maggie were also fantastic.
I think this gives a good insight into how wonderful Toberua is.
Simply just go
Anthony

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank AnthDan1971
Reviewed 30 September 2012

this is the most stunning place I have ever visited, you could just relax by the pool, in the bar or just in your own bura and deck area or keep busy swimming,snorkeling,diving or enjoy the day trips that are avaliable. I did a bit of all. The food was to die for and the way they take your orders is unique, and all the staff were fantastic, always cheerful and happy to help. I recommend this to everyone.I will be going back, best holiday ever.

Room Tip: as there are only 15 any of them looked good to me
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katryna m
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I wish we'd known about Toberua for our honeymoon! We just got back from a fabulous 7 day holiday. If you're coming from NZ, don't take AirNZ. Air Pacific flies direct from Auckland to Suva (3 hrs) so it's really easy to get here!! Our flight was at 8am and we were at the resort in time for lunch.

The place appears just like their website. I've posted a bunch of my own, as well. I actually got teary-eyed on our last night when the staff sang to us! Although I'd had 2 Fiji bitters by then...!

Here's what we loved:

1. you can participate in all of the activities OR you can hang out in your buré. We chose the latter and it was just wonderful. We did NOTHING except read a ton of books, go swimming, snorkeling and kayaking. It was really relaxing. Other guests were really social and had a blast. I liked that you could do either and still be made to feel at home. I hate places that pressure you into participating (like our honeymoon). We also had room service 3x and it was lovely.

2. our buré was #2 and was huge -- I think the dimensions are something like 27 ft x 30 ft. We had loungers on our deck as well as on the beach. So convenient!

3. the food was delicious. I'd hoped for more seafood but we enjoyed plenty of fish. A few reviewers have said that breakfast was boring. Basically you got fruit, cereal, yogurt, muffins, toast as well as one hot selection (usually eggs). I didn't mind as it gave me an opportunity to eat healthy since lunch and dinners are three courses each! And the eggs were outstanding.

4. I was really impressed with the table service. I was raised by a caterer, so it's a real pet peeve of mine when servers take my husband's plate before mine, and the staff always waited until we were both done. Excellent! Bring these guys to Auckland!

5. no television, newspapers, magazines. There is wifi available (for $$) but I'm online 24/7 and LOVED the excuse to disconnect.

6. the burés have beautiful shutters and massive sliding shutter doors- I want those in my house!!

7. the housekeeping involved simple but effective sweeping, bed making, etc. It was nice to walk into your buré and not have it reek of harsh cleansers or air fresheners.

8. Shelley and the staff! Everyone has raved about the staff and they're right! Amazing!

9. Pure Fiji toiletries. Oh YEAH. I usually save my hotel swag for my guest bath at home. Not this time! I loved the products! And the outdoor/indoor shower was amazing! At home, my shower "overlooks" the wardrobe and a litter box. At Toberua, I was the ocean and palm trees!

10. We had a couples massage. It was one of the best massages I've ever had!

Here are three really minor suggestions:

1. each day we receive a charming "Your Daily News" sheet which describes the activities of the day and mealtimes. It would be helpful to describe anything special, like the BBQ and Kava night, or the fact that there's no singing (just hymns) on Sunday. Really minor, I know.

2. include small bottles of olive oil on the tables for those who don't want to use butter.

3. invest in a treadmill for guests to use in the gym to burn off all of the awesome food!

Thanks for an incredible week!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BlueKitsy
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I booked for 9 days for myself and 2 children ( 12 and 16).
I had been to Fiji about 8 years ago and stayed on a huge resort and hated it, i wanted somewhere natural where the kids could get up and wander around and explore safely and i could relax and swim.
I was worried they would be bored, but they weren't, they loved it.
we did the trip to the village, great fun, and very humbling.
we did Picnic island twice it was so good,my son saw clown fish and blue starfish.
I had 2 massage's and facials they were so good!
The highlight of the kids day was playing volleyball with the staff each day at 5pm, not to be missed, the are very good, but encourage everyone to join in, ( i sat on the bench with my afternoon cuppa and watched!).
The staff truly make this resort, my son was never alone, staff would soon join him to play putt putt, or fish,or climb a tree and show them how to open a coconut!
Only a couple of downers, the gym is just a bike and rowing machine, so don't take workout gear like i did, waste of time, and the pool was cold, the sea was warmer.
Also i made the mistake of just booking the resort and flights to Nadi, then found the connecting flight to Suva was a 5 hour wait.
You can get them to marry up, so suggest you check before you book, otherwise its a very long trip.
I loved this holiday, we all cried when we left, the staff are such geniune people, it makes you look at yourself a bit more.
We will return and stay even longer next time.
Hi to the band, always entertained us and made us laugh, miss you Masi lots!!!!!

Room Tip: Bure's 4-11 are on the windy side. 3-12 calm side. When we stayed no 4 was too windy to sit outside, but apparently when its very hot that side is the best side to be on.We moved to 12 which was much calmer and you could sit outside in june. Bure 1 is next to the bar, not so private.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family