“Island of our dreams”

Toberua Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Toberua Island
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We traveled to Toberua to celebrate our 20th anniversary and my 45th birthday. Let me just begin by saying that this trip made me believe I have a fairy godmother who waved her magic wand and gave us the perfect trip in the most perfect place with the most wonderful people. Our arrival was heralded by the singing of the staff on the dock, and it only got better from there. Toberua is small enough to be very intimate, but does not lack for anything. It is a beautiful island. Our bure was roomy and very stylish with gorgeous views. Fiji has the most pleasantly temperate weather, and we were astonished by being able to eat outside without ever being pestered by any kind of bug! The food was truly AMAZING. Not once did we have a meal that was less than an utter delight--beyond how delicious it all was, it is presented and served with elan. The snorkeling is fantastic, and the excursions offered by the resort are also all wonderful and well worth the cost. We particularly loved the trip to Picnic Island, a small sandy dot of an island surrounded by shocking blue water and coral. It was so gorgeous that it seemed like something out of a dream. Beyond creature comforts and the beauty of the Toberua, I cannot write a review without mentioning our favorite thing about the place, and that would be the people. The staff are so warm and friendly, so genuinely glad you are there, that they quickly became extended family. We look forward to returning to Toberua as much to see our new friends again as enjoy the resort, and we left with a few tears from having to say goodbye to them, especially Charles, Ratu, Zak, Emori, Pita, Isreilli (the pool is now open!) and Lani. They are all truly lovely people, the likes of which I have never encountered anywhere else. I found this true not only on Toberua, but elsewhere in Fiji. I cannot recommend Toberua highly enough. We want to go back as soon as we can, and take our daughter along this time. It is very family-friendly as well. I am still having lovely dreams about our experience there, and I think that says a great deal.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side (the side that faces Viti Levu) are breezier, which we preferred.
2  Thank LaurafromTexas67

Reviewed 5 October 2012

The food was simply AMAZING... We arrived from the Namale resort in Savusavu which could have been difficult to live up to. However, Toberua was really great...Fastastic bure's with lot's of room inside but a little to close to each other. Some are even semi-detached bure's. However, you are at sea level and so close to the ocean that you could feel like your room is floating.
The only downside is that when the weather gets rough, the sea snakes come to shore. Therefore, you need to sleep with the doors shut, unless you want and undesired visitor in your room! I don't understand why they don't have screen doors to kept the unwanted out and the ocean brise in. This really takes away from the experience. The snakes are harmless to humans but they are still big snakes. Anywhere from 3 to 13 feet long. They are poiseness but to whatever they eat because the fangs are further back and therefore, they can't really bite a human.
The staff at the dive shop are great. The have very good scuba gear and snorkling gear. They also have kayaks, a hobby cat and lot's of water toys. When the tide goes down, you can play golf on the reef. I wouldn't get a membership but it was pretty cool to play. The spa is small and intimate but you can get all the usual treatments.
Consider that the island is about a 30 minute river & ocean boat ride away from shore. It takes about a total of 1 hour from the airport to reach the island.
The best thing about the island is the fact that it only has 12 bure's, the staff is great and the food is simply outstanding.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MichaelW66
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I can start this review with one phrase 'Wow what a wonderful place' From start to finish all aspects were of 5 star standard. It was great for us adults and our two kids 9 & 5 thought they were in heaven.
When you get off the boat at the dock, the staff meet you and already know you by name. They then walk you through the palm trees to show you the main parts of the island, pool, restaurant, bar where your welcome drinks are. You are then taken to your bure. The bure's are big and super comfortable and well appointed. No tv was what we wanted and the kids didn't miss it at all. The way they open right onto the beach is amazing and we spent heaps of time in the hammock.
Plenty of relax time but also plenty to do. The kids were never bored. Swimming, fishing, snorkeling, sailing, diving, kayaking, path putting and more.
The food was fantastic. Every meal was excellent and super fresh. Probably the only one they could improve was the cheese and fruit plate. It is pretty cool how they take your order from the ever changing menu a couple of hours before lunch and dinner. If you are out on the water, no worries, they come out on a boat and find you.
All this sounds great, but the people are the best thing. The staff could not be better. So friendly and helpful and great with the kids. We also have never met so many other guests on a holiday. We made friends from USA, NZ, and many from Oz. it was like being on holiday with friends only you hadn't left home with any.
Shelley and Maggie were also fantastic.
I think this gives a good insight into how wonderful Toberua is.
Simply just go
Anthony

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank AnthDan1971
Reviewed 30 September 2012

this is the most stunning place I have ever visited, you could just relax by the pool, in the bar or just in your own bura and deck area or keep busy swimming,snorkeling,diving or enjoy the day trips that are avaliable. I did a bit of all. The food was to die for and the way they take your orders is unique, and all the staff were fantastic, always cheerful and happy to help. I recommend this to everyone.I will be going back, best holiday ever.

Room Tip: as there are only 15 any of them looked good to me
1  Thank katryna m
Reviewed 14 September 2012

I wish we'd known about Toberua for our honeymoon! We just got back from a fabulous 7 day holiday. If you're coming from NZ, don't take AirNZ. Air Pacific flies direct from Auckland to Suva (3 hrs) so it's really easy to get here!! Our flight was at 8am and we were at the resort in time for lunch.

The place appears just like their website. I've posted a bunch of my own, as well. I actually got teary-eyed on our last night when the staff sang to us! Although I'd had 2 Fiji bitters by then...!

Here's what we loved:

1. you can participate in all of the activities OR you can hang out in your buré. We chose the latter and it was just wonderful. We did NOTHING except read a ton of books, go swimming, snorkeling and kayaking. It was really relaxing. Other guests were really social and had a blast. I liked that you could do either and still be made to feel at home. I hate places that pressure you into participating (like our honeymoon). We also had room service 3x and it was lovely.

2. our buré was #2 and was huge -- I think the dimensions are something like 27 ft x 30 ft. We had loungers on our deck as well as on the beach. So convenient!

3. the food was delicious. I'd hoped for more seafood but we enjoyed plenty of fish. A few reviewers have said that breakfast was boring. Basically you got fruit, cereal, yogurt, muffins, toast as well as one hot selection (usually eggs). I didn't mind as it gave me an opportunity to eat healthy since lunch and dinners are three courses each! And the eggs were outstanding.

4. I was really impressed with the table service. I was raised by a caterer, so it's a real pet peeve of mine when servers take my husband's plate before mine, and the staff always waited until we were both done. Excellent! Bring these guys to Auckland!

5. no television, newspapers, magazines. There is wifi available (for $$) but I'm online 24/7 and LOVED the excuse to disconnect.

6. the burés have beautiful shutters and massive sliding shutter doors- I want those in my house!!

7. the housekeeping involved simple but effective sweeping, bed making, etc. It was nice to walk into your buré and not have it reek of harsh cleansers or air fresheners.

8. Shelley and the staff! Everyone has raved about the staff and they're right! Amazing!

9. Pure Fiji toiletries. Oh YEAH. I usually save my hotel swag for my guest bath at home. Not this time! I loved the products! And the outdoor/indoor shower was amazing! At home, my shower "overlooks" the wardrobe and a litter box. At Toberua, I was the ocean and palm trees!

10. We had a couples massage. It was one of the best massages I've ever had!

Here are three really minor suggestions:

1. each day we receive a charming "Your Daily News" sheet which describes the activities of the day and mealtimes. It would be helpful to describe anything special, like the BBQ and Kava night, or the fact that there's no singing (just hymns) on Sunday. Really minor, I know.

2. include small bottles of olive oil on the tables for those who don't want to use butter.

3. invest in a treadmill for guests to use in the gym to burn off all of the awesome food!

Thanks for an incredible week!!!!

3  Thank BlueKitsy
0.0 km away
Island Accommodation
Island Accommodation
#1 of 10 in Suva

Been to Toberua Island Resort? Share your experiences!