Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
Priceline
CheapTickets
2,045 results
All reviews plantation island garden bure coral restaurant kids club musket cove family holiday meal plan fish cash card three star breakfast and dinner kids pool coral coast water activities young kids sand bank clear water
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 May 2019 via mobile

This was our first family holiday to Fiji and although the resort was beautiful and the people were friendly, it lacks in hygiene. Many families were getting sick with gastro and my husband and I had severe travel diarrhoea. Mine started with cramping 3 days into the holiday and diarrhoea on the 4th, 6th and 8th day in. I had no appetite and lost 0.5kg.
I had to cancel a tour because the diarrhoea was so bad. I would go back to Fiji but will never return to PIR.

Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank rebecca s
PIR-management, Director of Sales at Plantation Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2019

Bula rebecca s,

The heading of your review states "lacking in hygiene" however you have not provided any examples of how the Resort lacks hygiene, so I am not sure what you are referring to. You have also not stated how a lack of hygiene has apparently caused your "travel diarrhea" or gastro?

We are sorry to hear that you got sick during your recent holiday and that you would like consider Plantation Island Resort for a future holiday. We are glad that you will still come back to our beautiful country.

Reviewed 26 May 2019

Our group of 25 spent a week here to celebrate a family wedding. The weather was perfect and the water temperature very comfortable. Our 2 bedroom garden bure was clean, had comfortable beds and a view to the water. The food although not gourmet was adequate with plenty of dining options.There are lots of activities which you can be involved with but best of all was a sun lounge by the water and a good book. The day spa treatments were relaxing. The option to not have internet meant this holiday was a real getaway.

Room tip: Some rooms are a fair walk from the activities area.
Reviewed 26 May 2019 via mobile

Sickness, sickness, sickness! Sickness EVERYWHERE!!!

Before I tell you about ground zero of the zombie apocalypse, let’s start with the good!
To be fair the beaches are stunning and the water is amazing. Our accomodation was very nice, spacious and clean-ish (their version of housekeeping is making beds, no actual cleaning). We had bedbugs in our beds and were eaten alive. Pest control came in and the room needed to be fumigated to make it inhabitable again. I expect this in a hostel, not a resort.

We had a Garden Bure, I looked at the rooms around the big pool and I wouldn’t let my dog stay in there. Rooms look like a housing project. Appalling.

Now the rest!
When booking I knew this was not a 5 star resort so went in with quite low expectations. But not this low. Resort looks like it hasn’t has any work done to it in 50 years. Pool tiles chipped/ missing, pool deck wood rotting away. Everything dated and falling apart.

Food was average at best. Would highly recommend eating at the Black Coral Restaurant instead of the mass produced boarding school food served up in the dining hall.

Kids eat free... and that’s probably the right price. Chips and nuggets most nights, if we stayed any longer the kids would have probably got scurvy. ;)

Now the zombie apocalypse!
The rest I can forgive, this I could not.
There was a gastro bug going through the island and was being denied across the board by management. People being told “you must have drank the water”. There was no warning to new arrivals, no telling people to take extra care and use antibacterial hand wash. Almost every person I spoke to had at least one family member sick or the whole family. You could see people walking around like zombies that were sick or recovering from sickness. Appallingly managed by the resort (or not managed at all). All 4 of us got sick!

Unless this place gets a major overhaul (renovation) and scrubbed from head to toe with bleach. I won’t be coming back.

Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank HolidayFunAus

Bula HolidayFunAus,

Thank you for posting a review about your recent stay at Plantation Island Resort. I have already sent a response to your complaint through your travel agent, but I thought I would respond on Tripadvisor as well.

Despite you complaining to your travel agent that there were "hundreds of people" sick during your stay at Plantation Island Resort, there were 32 reported cases with gastro symptoms at the Medical Centre during the 7 days that you were at the Resort. That is 5% of the Resort guest population, which paints a very different story to your zombie apocalypse scenario.

The vast majority of guests got sick on Saturday 18th and Sunday 19th May 2019, so you are correct before this date we did not inform guests or put notices up everywhere as it would have been an irresponsible way of us to cause panic among our guests. After a number people started falling sick on the 18th, we shut down Kids Club for disinfecting at 10:30am on the 19th, brought a GP on the island on the 19th so that the guests didn't have to go to the mainland to be treated, advised all arriving guests on the 20th and put notes under every room on the 21st May 2019.

You reported bed bugs in your room during your stay. When our staff came to inspect the room, not 1 bed bug was found however we still fumigated the room. There have been no proven cases of bed bugs at Plantation Island Resort in 2019. You could have potentially seen other bugs in your room and it is very possible that you were "eaten alive" by sea lice, which are prevalent at this time of year.

We are very sorry that your family got sick during your stay at Plantation Island Resort, it is awful to get sick when you are overseas and away from the comforts of your own home. Plantation management have not denied that guests have had gastro (I have stated that 32 people got sick), however we are stating the facts and are systematically taking steps to stop the gastro from spreading around the Resort. So much so that it is more or less contained, with 4 people reporting sick over the last 3 days.

We appreciate the time you have taken to post a review upon your return back home to Australia. We hope that your family is recovering well.

Reviewed 25 May 2019

I say "sadly" because this was our 5th holiday at Plantation Island Resort in 5 years. The previous 4 stays were fabulous, but this time, after a week here in early May, we came away feeling very disappointed.

I have to say I absolutely agree with the previous 4 reviewers. Lots of improvements needed in all areas.

I don't really think daily servicing of rooms is all that necessary, but I do expect my room to be clean on arrival, even in a 3 star resort. The floor in our poolside room looked as if it hadn't been mopped in months. The constant daily battle to get clean bath towels became very tiring, and on most occasions when they finally did come, very late in the day, they were stained and a very dark shade of off-white. Even in a 3 star resort I expect clean towels.

We only had dinner at the buffet on one occasion this time, because the quality of the food is hit & miss, and the issue of hygiene is offputting.

We had dinner at the Black Coral on a couple of occasions, which was fantastic as usual. As stated by previous reviewers though, the restaurant is massive, but with only a small amount of tables that seem to be booked out a week in advance. We would've eaten there nearly every night, if we'd been able to get a table! A huge thank you to Elia, who squeezed us in on our last night at the Resort. Vinaka!

One night we walked down to Musket Cove for dinner. It wasn't worth the walk. I ordered a chicken dish with an impressive name, but what I was served was simply a hunk of rotisserie (bbq) chicken, absolutely no flavour and no sauce, very dry, and extremely average.

We ate at the Ol Copra Shed for lunch on many occasions, and the dishes we had were consistenly very, very nice. It's just the service that lets it down. Getting your order to be taken in the first place is a battle. And then receiving your meal can take an eternity. I take my hat off to Va and Miso who do a wonderful job, we love you guys!

We self-catered quite a bit on this trip. We took a toaster, an electric griddle plate and some utensils from home, as well as cooking spray, disposable dishes & cutlery, breakfast cereal, amongst other things. We bought some supplies at the little supermarket at Port Denarau and also from the Trader Store at Musket Cove. We were able to then cook bacon & eggs and toast for breakfast, and we brought pancake mix from home as well. This way we were able to save a LOT of money by not eating at the buffet.

We ate at the Snack Bar on a few occasions. We were very disappointed to see the menu had been drastically reduced in size. There isn't much to choose from now. We had pizzas a couple of times for dinner which were absolutely delicious. The salad served with our lunches however, was almost inedible. The lettuce should've been thrown out days before.

The majority of staff we encountered were welcoming, warm and friendly. However, beware you don't cross one young lady who was working in the Mini Mart when we were there. I went in there to get my daughters an ice cream. She was serving ice cream cones to another family at the time. She finished and put her utensils away, then my daughter decided she'd like an ice cream cone as well. I apologised and asked if we could get an ice cream cone. She didn't say a word, just glared at me and went and got the utensils back out and proceeded to serve up the ice cream cone. When that was done I gave her my cash card to process the payment, which she then slammed back down on the counter when she was finished. Still she hadn't said one word. In hindsight I wish I had said plenty! Such a disgraceful display of attitude from her. I know her name but I won't name her here. I have never, ever been treated that way by anyone in a customer service role before. I get that she was annoyed. But you grin and bare it, smile and get on with the job. That's what you're getting paid for.

Luckily we dodged the gastro outbreak (not sure if it occurred when we were there, or afterwards). However, the day after we got home my 12 year old daughter fell ill with a very high fever (39 degrees) and 36 hours later came out in a rash. Our doctor confirmed it was Hand Foot & Mouth disease. Given the incubation period is about 1 week, she would've definitely been infected at the Resort. There were so many young children getting around the Resort coughing and sneezing, so I'm not surprised she fell ill.

Finally, previously we were excited to see the new development being built, with new hotel rooms, restaurant, pool, etc., but now after this trip I am wondering why they are spending all that money on building new things, when there are so many old things, and situations, that need to be remedied first. Priorities! I wish I could say we will be back next year, because the island itself is absolutely stunning, but for us our love affair with Plantation Island Resort has run its course.

Room tip: If you can afford it, go for a freestanding bure. That way you won't have noise from adjoining rooms
2  Thank mel660
PIR-management, Director of Sales at Plantation Island Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2019

Bula mel660,

Thank you for review about your recent stay at Plantation Island Resort. It is very disappointing to hear that we let one of our returnees down, especially one who has travelled to us 5 times in the last 5 years. Let me start by saying, we are sorry.

You are well within your rights to expect clean towels every day, I am not sure why this was not happening but it has been raised with our Head Housekeeper.

Whilst Black Coral Restaurant has a lot of seating space, it has a small kitchen which limits the number of guests we can accommodate each night. This outlet is always booked out in advance and there is plenty of interest from guests wanting to eat at an a la carte restaurant, which is exactly why we are building Tavola Restaurant due to open on 1 September 2019.

Service levels should not be so inconsistent, it is a big focus at the Resort right now. Our apologies for your experience at the Mini Mart, that should not happen.

Hand Foot & Mouth disease is a very contagious viral infection however given that there were zero cases at the Resort (which had 600 people during your stay), it is highly unlikely that your daughter got it at the Resort. There are plenty of places that this can be contracted from airplanes, buses, airports etc. I am sorry to hear that your daughter is ill however, I hope she feels better soon.

Whilst the new development is nearing completion, we are already in the planning phase of the next development which aims to address the main facility (Ol Copra Shed Restaurant, Brigham Bar etc). We are well aware of some of the challenges we face in this main building and are planning on a development that will resolve it in the next 2 years.

We sincerely hope that you have not given up on us and will give us another chance over the next couple of years. The Plantation experience will improve significantly over the next 10 years as we invest serious funds into the buildings and structures of the Resort, as well as focus on vital areas such as customer service, food quality, drink quality, activities, environmental sustainability and community programs.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback, we appreciate it very much.

Reviewed 24 May 2019

Recently returned from a week at PIR, which was our second stay. We loved the place first time round, but this time, were disappointed. Lots of repairs needed - buildings are run down and leaking, broken floor tiles and pool tiles, pool decking falling apart. Food is very hit and miss, particularly at the buffet. As is the service. Most staff are welcoming and lovely, but some not so. The bar is also very hit and miss, and if you order the same cocktail more than once, it will taste different every time as the staff seem to make it up. We noticed quite a few questionable hygiene practices which didn't bother us too much until my husband got severe gastro on our last day. I understand gastro outbreaks are common at resorts etc, but I think if hygiene had been better, it wouldn't have been so severe and widespread. Also the time you have to wait for meals etc does take "Fiji Time" to all new heights. Apart from all of that, it's still a very relaxing holiday, with most of the staff warm and welcoming. It would be an amazing place with some repairs and a little more care given to food, cleaning/hygiene and organisation.

Room tip: Rooms on the Lomani side are much nicer. Rooms on the Ocean Pool side seem abandoned and run down.
3  Thank Rejasta

Bula Rejasta,

Thank you for your valuable feedback about your recent stay at Plantation Island Resort. We are sorry that there were some areas of your holiday that you were disappointed in.

I am not sure what hygiene practices you felt were not good enough, as you have not listed any. Our Group Executive Chef has been working with the Food & Beverage department at the Resort to ensure that hygiene practices are at front of mind during this period. We understand how important this is and it is a key focus.

You are not the first person who has complained on Tripadvisor recently about maintenance around the main facility and pools, so we are currently in the process of conducting an investigation into which areas can be fixed asap.

We appreciate the time you have taken to give your honest feedback, we hope you will visit us again one day so that we can show you the improvements we have made.