“We Fled From Hurricane Irma To Willy J's For Dinner”

Willie J's BBQ and Steakhouse
Ranked #15 of 49 Restaurants in Ozark
Reviewed 9 September 2017

We live in Naples, Florida and evacuated to flee from Hurricane Irma, ending up in Ozark, AL for a week. When we asked the locals for a good steak place they recommended this restaurant. We were impressed with the fantastic food, the full bar, and the local hospitality. Such friendly and caring people.

Funny thing was I arrived wanting a steak but opted for the grilled shrimp which was fantastic and ventured into the unknown when I had to ask what Brunswick Stew was and was so intrigued I had to try it. The stew was delicious with a light smokey flavor of the pork and veggies in a tomato base stew. The green beans were very good and as an extra surprise they tucked a couple of unexpected corn fritters on our plates that were wonderful. My husband got the fresh grilled grouper and said it was great. Our fellow evacuee from Florida, Kathleen, also got the grilled shrimp and opted for the baked potato and loved it.

Happy hour on the beer didn't end until 7:00 so my husband got in on that with his order of a Yingling. Kathleen is super picky about how her Black Russians are made and declared that the bartender had done an excellent job. My Vodka & Cranberry Juice is hard to mess up and it was very refreshing.

The service was great even though the place was packed with diners and carry out orders were being sent out the door in a constant stream. The on street parking is limited to 2 hours during the weekdays till 5:00 p.m. because the restaurant is across the street from the courthouse, but after 5:00 there is no time limit. Directly across from the restaurant is a wonderful memorial to the local Military Veterans who served in every war from WWI to Vietnam that is worth the time to view.

We enjoyed the food and the local hospitality so much we are going to go there again in a couple of days. This time I'll order the Rib Eye steak.

1  Thank Sandra S