“Another adventure”

Hwy 80 Barn
Ranked #45 of 119 Restaurants in Opelika
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

I had heard about Hwy 80 Barn and seen a lot of cars at the site. I.e. ad a dew reviews and my husband and I decided to check them out. The atmosphere was cute, barn like and pure country. Waitstaff were friendly and quick. Food was average to good. I had Shepherds pie which was fair. I dislike the instant potatoes and it was a bit bland. However, I am a bit of a snob when it comes to Shepherds pie so I may be a bit critical. My husband had the Pond platter which was catfish filet, fried shrimp, frog legs, hush puppies, onion rings and baked corn as his side. He really enjoyed his meal although frog legs were a little over cooked.

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Sooo, for a restaurant that is 15+ minutes from any city to stay open it should have INCREDIBLE food, right? That's what we thought too! Also, they claimed to have live entertainment Saturday nights (nope...).
We went with a group of 9 and we're basically the only people there.
The good:
They have jackets for you to borrow while you are there
The place looks really unique and vintage.
The fried pickles, jalapeños and fried grits bars were amazing.
The bad:
-first off, when we asked what to get, we were referred to a couple items because "those aren't frozen from the store." What!?!? Why are they serving frozen meals from a store? Should have left at that point but we had driven all the way...
-portion sizes were MINIATURE, and when I asked about my 7 fries being a full side, I was told they were the proper weight...ummm, okay.
-countries fried steak was tiny, hard and had no flavor
-sweet potato fries had no flavor
-Mac and cheese was flavorless and clearly from some sort of mix (it was nasty-none of us finished it)
-Po boy was bland
-rolls are frozen from the store

Overall, unless you happen to drive past here and are starving to death, don't waste time or money. The food is not well prepared, service was nothing special, and really...the place was just a flat out disappointment.

Reviewed 11 November 2014 via mobile

Visited this restaurant a few years ago when had different owner was good then and still good today with new owner. We read the reviews before going and was not disappointed with the food and service. They offer a variety of foods seafood, burgers, steaks, pork... We enjoyed their Grits sticks as an appetizer. They have ribeye steak that my wife and I share that is very good. My wife said their burger was very good. I enjoyed their pork chops. We both throughly enjoyed their "homemade" cake desserts very moist. We haven't adventured to try their gator dish neither their quail but I'm sure they're both good. We've been three times so far and never have been disappointed. It takes us 45 minutes to drive there but enjoy the drive and enjoy the restaurant. If you want some out of the way place that is reasonably priced and taste good I encourage you to go to Highway 80 Barn restaurant in the quaint communities of Beauregard and Little Texas.

2  Thank wjmay
Reviewed 23 May 2014

If you like Southern cooking, you will love The Barn. We started with an appetizer of fried dill pickles. The vegetable plate had very generous portions with an excellent corn muffin. One member of our party had one of the house specials - shrimp and grits. The grits are a specialty of the house because they are fried grit sticks, not the cooked grits that you usually see with this dish. My cousin raved about her meal.

The decorations in the restaurant include a very creative 3-D barn mural.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

We took a day trip to find this place after reading the reviews and boy, are we glad we did. The patty melt and hamburger were both the best I've ever tasted, bar none, and the homemade Nutter Butter was unbelievably good--- you really have to take my word for it. Make this little place a destination next time you want a really good meal. They have steaks and chicken and alcoholic beverages, but we were just there for lunch this time. Next time, we'll try the whole shebang. Excellent

1  Thank MikeAve