“Avoid this place like the plague”

Emerald Palms Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #42 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
Reviewed 13 May 2011

This place is run down in the worst way. There was a "security guard" in the lobby that looked like a gang banger and he was just hangin out on the lobby internet. There were drunks and what appeared to be prosititutes coming back and fourth from the in-house bar. Thug looking characters hangin' on the counter begging for more towels and trying to get keys to rooms that were not theirs. I was literally afraid to stay there. I walked in and strait back out of the room. I have been trying to get a refund for over 2 months now, and have been getting the ren-around because the management are like ghosts that never seem to be there when I call. I would only stay here is I was armed, and it was an alternative to homelessness. Don't let the pretty website fool you.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zdubb

Reviewed 26 April 2011

The place has roachs every where, the cleaning staff does notting but pick up the garbage and take the dirty towels. Never do they leave clean towels. People run up and down the halls at 3:oo am and slam the doors. One night I was robbed at gun point just for my lighter. The security is there just for the staff.

Room Tip: Dont stay their
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tinytim_11
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Upon arrival, pulled into a very active parking lot. Decided to check in before bringing the kids in. Like other reviews i've seen here, the lobby was smoky, stinky and the check in line was long and slow. A security guard was posted by the counter but that didn't make us feel secure. He was obviously there to protect the employees from outraged guest.
We were in line 25 to 30mins. and during that time several questionable characters wandered in and out of the lobby. There was an on site bar/club a few feet away that provided additional smoke and noise to the lobby. We got the key for our second floor room and decided to check the room out before bringing in kids and bags. Glad we decided to check first. After we climbed the eerie stairwell and got to the second floor we found the hallways dark smelly and dirty. Trash and food crumbs on the floor. People hanging out at the end of the hallway. Passed a door with a handwritten "Do not disturb" sign scotch taped to it. We arrived to our door and opened it. Flipped the light switch and, you guessed it... Nothing. Had to walk over to the lamp to turn it on. When I got the lamp to turn it on, I wanted to IMMEDIATELY turn it back off!! The sight was HORRIBLE!! The room was old and dark like everywhere else we passed getting there. The carpet was nasty. Wanted to wash my shoes when we left the property. There was an arm chair by the balcony door that look like it had been recovered from the city dump.It was worn, dirty and no way I was going to set anything on it. Went to look out the rickety "sliding" door. Tried to open it, but it only shook and it darn near fell on me. We left this room, needless to say and marched back down to the front desk for a refund. The security guard acted surprised that we didn't want to stay. I told him there was no way I was bringing my kids in this place. Ironicly, the night clerk wasn't surprised as if this was routine. Wish I had taken video to post to youtube, but we were so shocked we were just glad to get out with our money back. Thankfully we had a backup place to stay or we would have slept in the car for sure.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank TheGuest700
Reviewed 1 November 2010

I checked in the hotel for three days. However, I seldom stay at the hotel for I was out downtown doing business and that was what I was doing in Mobile. There were no traces of cleaning during the first day of stay. I called the housekeeping and they said there was a mistake in housekeeping and they would clean up the room at that moment. That was the thing that I didn’t like about the hotel. But with regards to other services from room food service to the facilities I was quite pleased. The room also had the internet access and free breakfast every morning. Whatever their reason is why they had skipped my room from cleaning it I just hope that it wouldn’t happen again in my next stay at Emerald Palms Hotel. Out of 5, I will give 3 stars for the hotel and would stay here next time.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 October 2010

My stay at Emerald Palms Hotel was unexpected. I was booked at other hotel through online reservation and when I showed up the clerk told me that there wasn’t any room available. After explaining everything to her I ended up leaving the place for there was no vacant room good for one person available. I also didn’t want to spend extra getting another room at higher rate. I was terribly pissed off with that incident. Anyway, I went to this hotel which I thought would be cheaper than the one I booked. It turned out that I was quite comfortable and very much satisfied with the services I got from Emerald Palms Hotel. Their rate was indeed cheapter. The room was quite spacious and clean. Overall I would give a 4 stars out of 5.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo