“Delicious steamed pork dumpling!”

Low Yong Moh Restaurant
Ranked #51 of 838 Restaurants in Melaka
Reviewed 4 March 2018

Eating dim sum on your own is not ideal but if nothing else, stop by for their steamed pork buns (dumpling). They have two sizes, normal and small...they are full of delicious juicy pork with 'gravy', very tasty and filling. I tried a few different things over a few visits; pork, shrimp and chicken choices and found them up to normal dim sum standards. Service was good and staff friendly. Reasonable prices, three or four choices plus tea, 10-12mr.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Was there on a Saturday morning at about 9 am. There were some early birds but several empty tables were still available. Wanted to sit at a round table but was quickly directed to a long bench leaning against the wall. Well, I didn't mind that at all. There was a young Asian guy sharing that bench with me.

A hardworking Indian (or maybe, a Nepali) staff followed me all the way to my seat. He offered to steam the egg tarts for me and claimed that there were very nice. But I didn't order what he recommended. Instead, I ordered the Big Pau, Lor Mai Kai and Milo. Glad that he was not pushy and he brought the food I ordered within a few minutes. Well done, man, keep up the good work!

The Big Pau was O.K. but the Lor Mai Kai was miserably small (both were of the same price). I do agree with other members' reviews that you can get much better Dim Sum in Singapore. The Lor Mai Kai I always buy in Singapore is about the same price but in SingDollars and the amount (portion) is 4 times more. And it has lots of ingredients, such as chicken, chestnut and mushroom - definitely much more YUMMY!!

The young Asian guy sharing the long bench with me turned out to be a Japanese student on holiday in Malacca. He asked me "How do they charge?" He seemed to be a bit worried, as he had quite a number of small plates of Dim Sum in front of him. He told me that he had problems communicating with the staff. I guessed they simply gave him one plate of each type of Dim Sum. All the items he had were from the big serving tray, none were specially ordered. He asked me "What are these (pointing to a couple of plates of Dim Sum) he had?" I really didn't know since I did not order them. I waved to the staff trying to get help for the poor chap (not knowing what he was eating). One of them was Yam but he didn't understand "Yam", and I didn't know how to say it in Japanese. He told me he didn't like it (the Yam). When I asked for my bill, he said he would like to have his bill too. So I simply relayed the message in Mandarin to the staff (an Ah Soh). She was standing near the cashier. She turned around and asked me sarcastically if I was going to pay his bill too. I shot back and said "This poor chap had problems communicating with you all, so I am just trying to help". My firm and fierce voice was enough to shut them up. I wanted the bill to show all individual item price and not one lump sum. My bill came first and yes, they gave me exactly what I wanted. When the Jap's bill came, I saw he was billed for everything, including those he couldn't finish. I looked around to find that Indian worker who had given me very good service from the time I stepped into the restaurant. I got him to pack up whatever the Jap wanted to take away, after all he had paid for all of them. That Indian worker did exactly what I told him to do (immediately).

Back in the hotel, I was thinking if we had treated this restaurant just like a coffee shop or a stall in a food centre, then we might feel better because expectations of food quality and service standard would be much lower. After all, there was no service charge in our bills. I don't think they meant to be sarcastic or rude, it is just their "normal" way of communication.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

do not expect much decent service rendered here at this restaurant. just get your own table and wait for them to come to you "randomly" with big serving tray of just any kind of dim sum (fried or steamed) and you just take whatever you want. Pau (steamed buns) would have to be ordered/requested for though, never seen any being displayed on the serving trays.
food are just ranging from being average/mediocre to BAD (for that ONE rice roll wrapped thing which tasted absolutely disgusting in my opinion). initially you may feel that prices are dirt-cheap (comparing to much how you would have to pay for the same quantity ordered in Singapore). But if you take into account of the quality, you will know, what you pay is what you get.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Food was bland. Don't know why there was a queue. Price is expensive as compared to other eateries in the area.

Don't come.

1  Thank ThriftyAlwinLee
Reviewed 29 December 2017

We went on Sunday morning, where we need to queue up to wait for our turn, it might not taken a long time. For the food, the dim sum offered there are so so, not really worth the wait unless you have nothing to eat or choose from. The price are affordable enough but when come to service, they are rude enough. Especially when we ask for bill and the person didnt response and we plan to call again due to long queue and we would like to leave to let the other customer get in and have a sit. Then the person scolded my friend claiming that he is not deaf. It is OUT of the must list.