All reviews great location the river jonker street ginger flower saloon style doors friendliness and helpfulness hotel bathroom boiled eggs rain shower breakfast selection lovely boutique located close small hotel limited parking local dishes weekend stay noisy at night
Reviewed 30 August 2018

We are were visiting Malacca during the Singapore National day holiday 2018 and booked this place because it was near to Jonker street and walk-able to Makhota parade and Pahlawan mall (you must walk by the way towards Malaysia Architecture Museum and UMNO Museum). A&W restaurant (2nd floor Pahlawan mall) can be seen from opposite the stamp museum along the same stretch of road.
Our room (next to reception) was clean and bed was very comfortable with good support. Bathroom with rain shower has good water pressure and heating up water was fast.

The only thing we want to see improvement were
1) the lack of table space to put our things...we understand the space constrain but some customize wall shelves or table will help.
2) Mirror should be install where the hair dryer wall plugs are located. There is a mirror in the toilet but no wall plug for the hair dryer. So most of the time, I style my hair without the mirror while just using the hair dryer.

The front desk staff, Sam was an awesome lady who was helpful and gave us good directions for food and services. The breakfast was a small spread but they tried to change the local dishes like beef randang and noodles to be done in different style or use different meat. Local dishes were tasty and cooked by a home chef which makes it more authentic and personal. The other staff helped us with lighters when we needed some for birthday celebration at the lobby sitting area. It was a small boutique hotel but we felt well looked after and enjoy the breakfast and the hospitality offered by the staff.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank StoneForest
Reviewed 18 August 2018

Located close to eateries, shops, and the river and and an easy walk to Jonker Street. As the hotel is at one end of an often busy, narrow, one-way street, it is best if the taxi stops at the end of the street to offload luggage, and then walk a few steps to the hotel.

Check-in was easy, and staff helped to bring our luggage to the second floor room. We had a room at the back of the hotel, with a balcony that overlooked the back street and out towards the river. While small, the room was nice and sufficient for two people. The modern bathroom had saloon-style doors and a spacious shower. Being on the second floor, we didn't have the issue of noise from upstairs guests. However, light sleepers should note that at night, there was karaoke from nearby pubs and the occasional trishaw down the back street.

The breakfast selection was small but good, and had sufficient quantities of both local and Western food. There are also many eateries nearby, it was difficult to find time to try all the food available! Staff were friendly and helpful.

Good location for walking to the major attractions, and plenty of interesting side streets to explore.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

Really friendly staff, very accommodating and welcoming. The Wi-Fi was super fast and the room was really well laid out and clean. The hotel was very central and easy to find; I could walk through the heart of Melaka from the doorstep of the hotel. Definitely recommend!

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank Azlan M
Reviewed 16 July 2018

As a World Heritage City, Melaka is surprisingly under the radar for cultural tourism. From what I understand the very busy time is weekends, so I deliberately timed my stay during the week to avoid crowds. I think it paid off, as I was the only guest in the small hotel and really enjoyed the quiet. I booked the higher class of room, can't remember the designation, but it included a nice balcony which overlooked the river a bit away. The room was very spacious, and nicely decorated, spotlessly clean, and everything worked well. Breakfast was forgettable as it's very basic but ok to start the day. The service is really outstanding, I didn't get her name but the woman working at the front desk went very much out of her way to buy me a bus ticket back to KL since I couldn't do it online. Thank you so much! (yes bus tickets can get sold out, don't get caught out) Also Nizam corresponded with me by Facebook and answered all my questions. Also, the street that the Gingerflower is located on happens to have been one of the streets with the most beautiful Peranakan homes. When you tour the Peranakan Museum on the same street, just steps away, they will explain more about that. This street also seems to have the best shopping as well. Also, just a tip, if you walk across the main street to the big Dutch clock, on the right at the Tourist Info center they offer extensive FREE walking tours of the historic areas which include the old cemetery, Fort, Church etc..which is a must do.

Room tip: Get the balcony rooms..they are very nice!
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank MangoMunky
Reviewed 10 July 2018

I arrive earlier than expected at 11am, I requested to check in early as we having 2 babies with us, the staff was understanding that allow us to check in early with NO question ask.
The room was nice and clean.
The breakfast was great as it has a very local favor of Nasir Lemak and prata.

Date of stay: May 2018