See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 March 2008

We stayed at the Condos at this resort and were very disappointed with the quality. They are nowhere near as good as the rooms pictured on the internet. They are very old and needing an update, and the facilities are poor. However, the room was clean, which made it bearable.

The "free" breakfast is an embarrassment. You get a choice of three breakfasts (Western, Local or Oriental). We had the Western breakfast which consisted of sausages (cold), baked beans (cold), eggs (luke warm and hard), and toast. The two jams available with the toast were practically coloured sugar (I doubt any fruit was used), as was the "juice".

The staff were consistent - consistently bad. At check in I was ignored for several minutes while the two receptionists talked to each other. At checkout I was told that I couldn't pay with my American Express. When I mentioned that it had been swiped at check-in, then suddenly it was ok to use.

This resort is another Malaysian resort with institutionalised racism - the prices are less for locals than foreigners. Shame on you.

The "gym" has absolutely no cardio equipment at all. It looked like it hadn't been used for a long time.

Don't bother going to Cowboy Town - it has nothing worth seeing at all. The food at the Cowboy Town restaurant is ok. The water resort is pretty good, unless you have small children as the kids pool has not been maintained for several years and most slides can't be used.

Overall, a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank f0urtravellers
Reviewed 27 February 2008

At first I have my doubts whether to stay in this resort after reading a few unfavorable reviews form this website.

However, I went ahead and booked after pondering for 3 weeks. I booked at Beverly Condo with 2 rooms as there are 6 of us (four kids ranged from 3 yrs to 14 yrs old).

When we arrived at the resort, it was only 11.00 am and were directed to the condo. The reception is a very small area leading to the poolside. The receptionist said that we may check-in to our room. At first sight of the condo, my mind sounded an alarm as the building looks quite old and cluttered with alot of planks/old mattresses. Our room is on the 14th floor. I really do not know what to expect .

When we opened the door to our room, we were surprised but thank god that it is spick and span. The bathrooms are clean and nice. There's a queen-size bed in the master room and 2 single beds in the other. The view from the balcony is breathtaking. My children are happy. I took the room package which are inclusive of the safari and carnival. We really enjoyed them very much.

The next day, we were given simple breakfast for 4 pax (inclusive in the package). Maybe they shud improve on the quality .

I would recommend to families with children (same age as mine).

1  Thank Mei64
Reviewed 13 February 2008

WHAT A HORRIBLE HORRIBLE STAY.

The stay at the villa at aFamosa was the final 3 nights of our vacation in Singapore and Malaysia. Unfortunately these three last nights of the vacation DESTROYED the enjoyment of the full vacation.

Here are the facts: ALL NEGATIVE

Reservation: NOT SATISFACTORY
aFamosa has invested ABSOLUTELY no training in customers service with their reservation and sales staff. The 3 bedroom villa with swimming pool was double the price for foreigners compared to the price for local Malaysians.

Check-In: NOT SATISFACTORY
Long queue (waiting time), unexperiences staff, chaos among aFamosa staff behind the check-in counter.

The Villa: HORRIBLE HORRIBLE
When we arrived the grass lawn was not maintained, the swimming pool was completely dirty, the villa was smelling old and uncleaned, the safety box did not work, one door of a cabinet fell off, the toilets were dirty, Cable TV had only two foreign channels, and the rest locals, only the TV in the living room had cable tv, the TV in the master bedroom had only local channels, the refrigerator was broken, dirty and almost tipping over.
FINALLY, THE BED SHEETS AND TOWELS WERE OLD DIRTY AND SMELLY. A few of the people staying in our villa was leaving with flea bite like rashes at the skin, which with NO DOUBT was due to the dirty bed sheets and beds.

The Swimming Pool: DISGUSTING
The swimming pool was old and not maintained. The water was not cleaned, and it was sticky (like there was a lot of sunblock cream in it).

Service from Staff: UNSATISFACTORY
When calling "0" from the Villa to get hold of the reception then the phone was always ringing for 20-30 times before someone answers it, if it is answered at all. Villa cleaning did not take place until late afternoon or evening. Staff was in general not motivated at all, no smile, no service.
Everything important for the management and the staff was rules which guests must follow.

Food:
Room service food is of very low quality. The breakfast buffet we only tried the first morning as it was a completely JOKE and Uneatable. Basically the setup seemed more like a military camp with portions of standard meals served. Plates, cutlery, drinking glasses, etc, WERE ALL DIRTY.
There were in general not acceptable restaurants wihtin the Afamosa Resort area, except for one place which was called Cafe Villa 183.

VALUE FOR MONEY:

NOT AT ALL, paying 888 MYR per night for this Villa was absolutely an embarrasing for us.

WE WOULD LIKE TO RECOMMEND THAT NO ONE ELSE DOES THE SAME MISTAKE.

3  Thank mbh2008
Reviewed 11 February 2008

Bungalow Villa D'Amor 892.

Our experience with A famosa has been pretty disappointing overall.

BOOKING RESERVATION>>when we reach the check in counter, we were told to put in the 500Rm deposit in which we were not being informed earlier by the KL office and we suspected that the reservation centre seems to know very little about A famosa. We already paid 1976RM for the 4 bedroom villa and now they expect us to pay another 500RM as deposit? When we said we do not have any cash nor credit card, then they ask for 200RM. What a joke? We immediately asked the customer service officer (putting on her moody and unmotivational working attitude) whether they are going to chase us out if we do not have the money to pay for the deposit? She said fine, we can get in to the villa. First, her colleague gave us a key (1000+ rm) and guess what, she changed and gave us villa 892, the very last and far end! When I looked at the map, and saw the location, I asked for a change and she said all other villas were fully booked. When we passed by for breakfast the following day, we saw a couple of bungalows unoccupied. Before the check in to the villa, we were given a form to sign before collecting the keys, and guess what? The customer service officer gave us the wrong check in form (it belongs to another person!), luckily we checked the details.

BUNGALOW VILLA>>When we reached the villa, we checked the pool and it was full of leaves and branches, the water filter pump was not working. Seemed like the villa was not in use for a long time. (or it was probably a reserved villa for last minute bookies). I called the housekeeping/maintenance unit at 1pm and the cleaner only came in at 6pm! We came to know later by one of the housekeeping staffs that 2 pool mintenance guys have left and did not turn up for work anymore. We assumed that should explain the delays. When I checked one of the room, there were white ants' nest at the corners of the wall. One of the aircon remote controls was not working. The bungalow is not maintained with high standard. The floor tiles are oily that my 15 mth toddler kept on slipping down while walking fast. While we were at the check in counter, we told the Customer Service Officer that we have have 2 infants and that we have requested 2 baby cots through the KL office, they informed us that they will send them to us, however thruout our stay there, there were no sign of baby cots.No one came to send, what more apologise. When I called at night to ask for an extra pillow, the housekeeping dept said that pillows are charged at 20RM per pillow per night! Never in my life that I have heard of such a ridiculous condition!

BREAKFAST>>For those who rented the bungalow villa like us, have to drive about 5-10minutes to the SAFARI and paid RM3 for carpark before we proceed to the breakfast area which looks more like a school hall, during peak holiday season, The breakfast at SAFARI cost RM10 if you have more than 8 persons (for a four room villa we have 8 voucher). The breakfast is not buffet, we have three pathetic portion of the voucher, one is main course, you can choose from nasi lemak, western fried egg and sausages or diluted porridge. The dessert portion they will give you 3 slices of watermelon per voucher. The drinks portion you can choose from tea or coffee or orange juice, all of them are very diluted, not worth trying.

Others>>A famosa has a very good idea of this integrated resort. The SAFARI and Cowboy Town shows were good indeed. They have great varieties in terms of games however non of them are maintained with not high but reasonable standard, which we find is such a waste, if only this resort is managed properly, with high quality service, we will certainly revisit. With our bad experiences and trauma, this is a very much a run down place to go for a vacation, we will never revisit and will not recommend for those who demand a quality or value vacations.

12  Thank jack_Wolfskin
Reviewed 16 January 2008

My work booked this resort for an off-site. We booked 2 bungalows. The bathrooms had not been cleaned, when I turned down the covers on the bed there were shoe prints on the sheets, the pillow cases had blood stains on them.

When we asked them to service the room they took away 2 towels and bought back only 1. We had to ask for toilet paper they gave us 2 rolls between 9 people! The hot water barely functioned. Up in the conference room there were 2 toilets to service teh whole faciility. On day 2 there was no more water so no flushing toilets. When we told them they said oh well no water for 4 hours. Some in our group were ill and needed the facility and we had pregnant women too. They did not care at all and offered no advice.

The food was stale and looked to have been sitting tehre for at least a week. I tried to cut some lamb or steak and it was so tough I couldn't cut it with a knife. The rest of the food was fly blown and too much dressing, dirty plates.

This resort obviously works on its distant past. We went to Cowboy Land and it was quite pathetic and at 30 Ringit absolute rip off.

Service was apalling and the staff showed apathy and did not care about anything at all.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled on business