“Get a feel of Malacca's past”
Review of Hotel Puri

Hotel Puri
Ranked #12 of 167 Hotels in Melaka
Reviewed 14 December 2008

Hotel Puri is in an authentic peranakan house built by a rich Chinese in the XIX century. Great care has been taken to conserve the historical interior. So when you enter the hotel, you feel transported back in the past. You get to understand what kind of homes rich Chinese millionaires enjoyed when Malacca was vibrant and prosperous.

The service was good and we liked our room. But nothing exceptional. We had lunch after our arrival and were disappointed by the food. There are many restaurants around so I'd avoid the hotel restaurant.

The hotel is located on Jalan Tun Tan Cheng Lock at the heart of the Chinese part of the city. The street is lined with elegant historic shophouses and townhouses former homes of the Baba-Nonya community. The street is calm compared to nearby bustling Jonkers street, home to many bars, restaurants and tourist shops that can open very late.

Overall, the oustanding feature of this hotel is the historic atmosphere and the great location.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hotel Puri

Reviewed 7 December 2008

When my friends suggested to have a vacation to Melaka A'famosa, I did a full research thru Trip Advisor to check on A'famosa as well as all other Melaka Hotels - was very impressive with the positive remarks abt. Hotel Puri. Since this shall be my hubby and son 1st visit to Melaka, I was hoping to plan one memorable if not a perfect vacation for them. So, I proposed to have one nite stay at Hotel Puri first before adjourning to A'famosa Resort for another nite stay.

I would say I have made the right choice - that's also the response I got from my hubby as well as my holidays mate. They were telling me on the way to Melaka that they actually wanna asked me to book Hotel Equatorial which they have stayed few years back but decided to hold back and see what I have planned. But after we checked in, they said Hotel Equatorial is good but Hotel Puri is simply better in terms of the different kind of ambience it offers. First, it's located along those historical building that looks fascinating. When we arrived at the frontage, all my holidays mate were all quite hesitating with my choice but as soon as we step inside the Hotel, everyone were like ................. "wow, this is great !" This place is ideal - the staffs was friendly, place looks well maintain, clean and smells fresh & good (could be the aromatheraphy scents), the courtyard is beautiful, room also look well-maintained and clean, rate reasonable ..........................really different from the norm.

At nite, we can just walk to Jonker Street (not to be missed) which is just behind Hotel Puri. It is also about ten minutes walk to the riverside and 15 minutes walk to the Stydhurds and other historical Melaka place.

The only negative remarks I can say is there is no lift (for those who do not like to climb stairs). Otherwise, I would strongly recommend everyone who is going to Melaka for the 1st time to try this Hotel..................and me myself is looking forward to plan another trip to Melaka and stay at whereas but HOTEL PURI again ! Thank you to all trip advisor travellers whom have share a genuine comments. I would definately do a research from Trip Advisor before I confirm any holiday !

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank miche69
Reviewed 1 December 2008

Glad that I trusted my instinct to go for this place instead of other places. Booked the new (the one facing the street) Puri Suite for a night and ended up for two. Loved everything about the place, except maybe the breakfast. It was slightly bland for such a perfect place. I also got a chance to peek at different types of rooms they have. My advise is don't go for anything less than the Jr. Suite, and if you decide to take the Puri suite, take the new one.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank gsumadibrata
Reviewed 27 November 2008

I'm hestitate to book this hotel at first as the front view of the hotel doesn't look attractive to me but due to the strategic location and the affordable price of the room, I've decided to book it. I was hoping for the best...

Well, the thing that I'm unhappy with is, there is not place for me to stop my car to drop off the luggage as the parking lot along the road had been taken up by the tourist as the place is near to the tourist attraction but luckily they have the helpful and friendly workers which help me to get a place to dropped off the luggage and brought me to the hotel parking area.

I was surprised to see what they have in the hotel, a garden... beautiful garden and interior decoration. Our room is clean although it small which gives no big space for the walkway and the TV was place on the dressing table which left me not much space but the other room is slightly bigger and the TV has its own table, condition depends on the room you get I suppose.

The workers are friendly. The other thing that is good about this hotel is its location. We do need any transport to go to the tourist attraction places such as A famosa, St. Paul hills, the museum, etc..The Jonker Street is located behind the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank Jeslin1207
Reviewed 13 November 2008

Booked 4 rooms 3 months in advance. Called 3 weeks before arrival and realised reception had made a mistake with the booking. Only booked the rooms for 1 night and not 2 as requested. The man on the phone was very unhelpful to such an extent he was very rude to my wife. As a result we refuse to stay there again (we have stayed there on few occasions previously). We then re-booked with Aldy hotel and found them to be a lot more helpful and will stay with them from now on. Disgusting behaviour from the male staff from the Puri hotel on the phone with my wife!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family