1,203 results
All reviews deluxe room jonker street the ground floor rain shower peranakan style great shower breakfast is served lovely boutique night market the hotel staff the breakfast area family room small hotel fantastic location yogurt shower area noodles
Reviewed 3 October 2010

Excellent location with marvellous staff. However it was quite difficult to locate at first but once you found it, everything else is a breeze. It is smack right behind jonker street.
Room could be a little warm bcos it does not have centralize air condition. Room design is modern, complete with a rain shower. Extremely useful after spending time under the hot Melaka sun. Not quite sure if the room suites friends n family setting. The room is divided with wood sticks whereby your room mate will be able to see you in the bathroom. Yes, with super clarity.
Staff is very friendly. They have 12 rooms in total with 14 car parks behind the hotel. It is marked with orange cones. Just lift them away and make your way in there. And it is guarded at night.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 1 October 2010

The place was hard to find initially (as we traveled by car) and the carpark wasn't that straightforward, but it was completely worth it. As we entered the lobby, staff immediately greeted us despite our puzzled faces. Why puzzled? Because we left our car alone for 10 mins walking around the street and came back only to be faced with a $30 parking fine (didn't know about parking coupon there). A staff then escorted my partner to our car and showed us the way to the private carpark.

Here's the exemplary portion: The staff not only offered advice on paying the fine (if paid within a day, it's only $5), they've also offered to even settle the fine for us. "It's on us" was what they said. And this amount didn't even appear on our final receipt.

Secondly, the whole ambience was amazing. As we walked down the corridor, a real well was still intact, antique furniture etc. Aroma of lemongrass incense added to the mood.

In terms of the hotel's aesthetic value, it's truly stellar. Being a huge fan of form over function, I was indeed pleased to see that there's even a random pebble garden (1m x 1m) next to our shower. The floor was pretty old but definitely not dirty. The hotel room which we stayed in was clearly for couples as the bathroom only had a sliding door and the rest of the wall separation had patterned holes, which is also pretty unique. The toiletries are mostly from Lather (www.lather.com), and I was delighted to see interesting scents for the toiletries (eg: Tangerine for shower foam and Mint & Thyme for shampoo), as opposed to house-brand toiletries which always smell the same.

Frankly, I was tempted to snitch some of the toiletries but we stopped at only a bottle of water. Upon checking out, we informed the staff that we did take a bottle of water. They not only said that it's on the house, but they allowed us to check out without checking the room before leaving. This might sound weird but to us, it shows the trust that they had for the customers and were simply not calculative with what customers might take away. (other hotels will do rounds to make sure we didn't take anything else which they could add to the bill).

Overall, the hotel is comfortable, excellent for couples and in a prime location. Great stuff!

1  Thank guoyuan
Reviewed 29 September 2010

This is our usual family trip and travelling in a big group requires a lot of planning, especially when it comes to rooming arrangement. We called the hotel direct and were assured that we will be given the bigger Family Room(F3) as my sister has 3 kids and a maid with her. The staff who handled our enquiry was very helpful and assured us that it will be done. As such, we proceed to book 2 family rooms, 1 deluxe and 1 executive suite.

However, disaster struck when we were checking in and they informed us that they only have the smaller family available for us and the hotel is fully booked. What upset us was that they were not apologetic at all for the mistake they have made. They insisted that all rooms are assigned based on availability during check in. However, we explained patiently that we had a confirmation via email. But they only gave us that doubtful look. It was only when the staff who handled our booking returned call that they realized it was indeed their mistake. The staff had forgotten to leave instruction as it was her day off. However, still no apology from anyone at all. The guy handling our check in simply asked me” So what do you want? We are fully booked and can’t give you the room.” I was so upset with the way the question was posed to us. I retorted:” your staff made a mistake and you now asked me what I want?” it was at this moment that the owner of the hotel, a local Chinese men, step in. But he only made matter worse and rudely told me” ok, I give you 20% discount!” I was appalled! Does he think that just because he is rich, he can use money to solve the problem? I could not hold my anger and started a heated exchange. He could not handle my questioning and walked away, leaving the staff to handle the situation. I wanted to move the entire family to another hotel but because the rest has already settled into their rooms, my kind sister stopped me and told me to stay put. In the end, I re-arranged the rooms such that all of us can sleep comfortably for the night.

The hotel is very well- maintained and clean, thanks to the wonderful team of foreigner workers they employed. The only thing that made the stay pleasant was the excellent service rendered by the foreigner workers whom I noticed doubled up as chambermaid, kitchen helpers during breakfast, bellboy during check in and general cleaners. They are so diligent and polite, unlike the local staff and of course, owner. Despite the fact that they are overworked (I realized they work staggered hours), they never fail to put up a smile and greet you politely.

The room was nicely decorated as seen on the website. But the compressor from the aircon unit makes such loud noise that sleeping at night a bit tough. Though nice, the design of the room are definitely not child friendly. We knocked against the edge of the bed countless times. Worse, my 8 year old niece fell down in the bathroom in the executive suite. The floor is simply too slippery. She wanted to turn around and walked towards the bathtub but slipped instead. The poor girl hit her back against a step which was part of the design in the bathroom. Another ‘dangerous’ thing to look out for. So if you have kids, do not book this room. In any case, it was not worth the $460 we paid.

The next morning, while we were making our way to do some shopping, we bumped into the owner at the reception area. He was smiling to other guest but when he saw me, the smile simply vanished and instead I was given a ‘black’ face. Oh my god. I couldn’t believe it. So warning to the rest, if you want to have a pleasant stay, pls do not offend the high and mighty owner. If not, you will be treated in an exceptional manner.

When we checked out in the afternoon, we took the 20% discount given which amounts to $76 and gave it all to the foreigner workers who made the stay at least somewhat bearable. They deserve the tipping.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
9  Thank Sharielim
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Courtyard @ Heeren.

Right from our arrival, unceremoniously dumped by taxi from Meleka Sentral, the staff at the Courtyard went out of their way to accommodate us. As you enter the Courtyard @ Heeren, it appears to be a unassuming and small traditional Malaccan town house. The hotel is located on Heeren St, right at the heart of the Malacca Historical District. I see many hotels have sprung up in this area now, mainly from converted ex-residences in the area.

The main entrance/lobby of the Courtyard is more like a small cosy office. Traditionally, in older times, this would have been a small sitting/room lounge of the household. Now it is a very modern welcome to the hotel complete with a small fishpond under the stair well and air conditioning as a welcome respite from the oppressive humidity and heat outside. The staff are only too quick and helpful to assist in moving your luggage.

Check-in was very smooth and completed over one or two 'virgin' gin sling fruit punches that are served as a welcome drink.

The rooms themselves are as mixture of old world Peranankan charm and modern world amenities. Expect to find a modern and spacious bathroom, fully equipped with a rain shower head. We were staying in the ground floor deluxe rooms, and a unique feature I found was that the shower stall was technically inside, however opens up to a small private courtyard like space. It gave the impression one was showering outdoors, however in complete seclusion from the world around you.
Don't worry about the water pressure here, it's more than enough....

The free wi-fi as everyone has said makes a big difference, although I've opted to buy a local digi SIM card, which gives unlimited internet for 5 RM a day, cant really beat that.
Other mod-cons include a flat screen LCD TV with a selection of local content and HBO. No, there is no international news, but then again, who wants to sit inside all day watching the news while in Malacca.

The bed itself was very good and ensure a great nights sleep. Good quality mattress and pillows. The aircon is located on the front wall and is more than powerful enough. If you angle the vent away from you and the bed, you will find it much easier to sleep, instead of waking up freezing.

The staff really are what adds the icing on the cake at the Courtyard @ Heeren. The owner is a local descended from the Nonya people. (Straits Chinese) She is a very helpfully and lovely person and will go out of her way to assist you. She gave us good recommendations where to go to eat, one being around the corner called Nancy's Kitchen, which specialises in the Nonya cuisine. I recommend the Ayam Keluak, it takes 2 days to make this dish, and something that takes 2 days to cook, well, thats got to be good..

There is a small restaurant upstairs as well, however this is open mainly for breakfast, which has a constantly changing menu of local breakfast items to the traditional western breakfasts. It's a small buffet but more than adequate.

The only thing about the rooms where we stayed, (on the ground floor) was that they could get noisy depending on who was upstairs. We did NOT have problem with this, but I could see how this could be a problem if you have Mr and Mrs Leadfoot Beater living upstairs.

All in all, I highly recommend this hotel as the place to stay in Malacca. It beats staying in the standard unremarkable, uncharacteristic, sterile, and unimaginative multi story monsters that dot the Malacca perimter.
Once upon a time, it used to be the only way you could stay in a place like this was to know someone, but now with the modern tourist age in Malacca, comes this unique opportunity to stay in a bit of history yet have all the mod-cons.

1  Thank METAR
Reviewed 27 September 2010

The hotel was not really easy to find it, we were driving the third round on the street, then beable to see the hotel. When first step in to the hotel, we've been greeted warmly by the staff, a welcome drink has been given during the check-in, our luggage been taken to our room for us and we were given directions in details. There're lots of little things that the staff did, have made the difference and we felt that the staff are gunuinely taking care of us during our stay.

The room that we stay is a very nice well furnished room. Beautiful wooden door and windows... What a very brilliant idea to turn an old building to a charming, luxury places to stay. Decoration is beautiful, just feels comfortable while staying over there.
Definately recommended this hotel to family and friends!

2  Thank ShaunVi37