“Great for meeting people”

Ringo's Foyer Guest House
Ranked #5 of 121 Speciality Lodging in Melaka
Shanghai, China
“Great for meeting people”
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Well, the only purpose you come to stay here is to meet people. There are many guesthouses in Melaka but Ringo's Foyer must be top of the list. The owner introduce new guests to the others, and all the chit chats begin naturally. People talking about their experience and showing lots of interests in yours! I'm quite shy..and their attention really is a big boost for my confidence. On the second day of my staying the owner took all of us for dinner, after that some of us went down to Jonker Walk having desserts. It was a lovely evening, I knew everyone there.

I stayed in a singel fan room. The room is a bit shabby and dirty (got small ants in the bedside table). My bed is hard..so as my pillow. Fan and lights work well. Blanket provided. Towel is also provided for free but please bring your owns, It's dirty.

The common area is great. Well decorated with bicycles, guitars, pictures hanging on the wall. You can relax in the sofa, listen to some music, drink beers or make coffee.

The biggest problem is the bathroom. There's only two bathrooms, one per one floor. Toilet bowl, faucet and shower facilities all in one room. So if you are going to the toilet while someone is brushing teeth, you will need to Q for it. As many other mentioned here, the bathrooms are not clean. The one on the second floor(G,1st,2nd) is cleaner, and got better water pressure, no hot shower though. The other one on the first floor got stinky smell (maybe due to more people use it as it's the only one with hot shower)

Good location, 5 min walk to Jonker Walk.

I reach there on Malay New Year's eve, so I paid a bit more, but still cheap.

Got to say I love it since I made so many friends here. And thanks to Howard, the owner, for giving me a lift to Dutch Square:)

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 23 July 2011

A guy named Howard runs (owns?) the guesthouse and is a wonderful host. The place itself is a throwback to the hostels of the late 90's. It's very warm and welcoming, but may be a little too mellow for some. If you're looking for luxury hostels, Ringo's may not be the place for you. But, if you're looking for a chill place to BBQ on the rooftop and meet other travelers, then this is the place for you. The layout of the guesthouse is a little confusing, but you'll get use to it after your first day. The service is excellent and it's very close to the Melaka's hustle and bustle.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Clare
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This hostel is one of the most basic I have ever seen. Very run down, shabby and dirty. Only 1 bathroom per floor for everyone to share. Positives: free WiFi, A/C in the bedrooms and the guy working there is very friendly and organises an outing every evening with the guests. Need to decide if you can put up with the dirt and lizards and be able to enjoy the overall experience.

Room Tip: Rooms very basic and run down
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Voilareally
Hannover
Reviewed 23 March 2011

We were in Ringo's for three nights. I had expected an attached bathroom (by my fault) which Ringo's does not offer. Location is not very central but OK. Bathrooms are always flooded but this is standard in Malaysia. During check-in the guy showed us our double room directly besides the video room with very loud video sound in our room. We asked for another room but he said video would only be during days, not at night. This was not true as we heard Pulp Fiction until 11:30 PM which was quite uncomfortable. When we forgot our passports in the room the reception guy (Sam) was very helpful and contacted me via facebook (although only knowing my name and country).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 7 March 2011

We had a pretty good experience at Ringo's. Howard, the owner, is super friendly and makes it very easy to get to know everyone at the hostel, which makes for a very friendly atmosphere. He also organizes BBQs, dinners out, that sort of thing, and helped us buy our sim cards. And I think he also rents out bikes.

The place itself has many amenities: a nice rooftop area where we had a BBQ, hot water, free wifi, some air conditioned rooms, free drinking water/tea/coffee, a book exchange, and a TV. Our room was very clean. The location is great - very close to Chinatown.

Now for my complaints: the bed was one of the most uncomfortable beds I've ever slept in, with springs poking out everywhere, and a very lumpy pillow. We had to pile 2 towels and a blanket on the mattress or else we couldn't sleep at all. It was a bit noisy, but wasn't too bad with ear plugs.

Overall I'd recommend this place if you're looking for a good vibe, but not if you want comfort.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple