“Dissipointed !!!!!!!”
Review of Big Jim's Bama Q - CLOSED

Big Jim's Bama Q
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We have eaten at Big Jim's Bama Q for years but this was the first time since Robert Irvine and Resturant Impossible did their tv show up grade, if that is what you would call it. The food used to be great and that was everything on the menu. It didn't look fancy but the food was really good. Now it looks nice but food was horrible. I have never left a rib on a plate in my until today. The ribs were cooked to fast and were partially burned. They were so tuff I couldn't chew some of it and had to spit it out. The Mac n cheese was floating in butter and tasted like butter noodles. The bake beans were good. The wife had chicken fingers and she said that whatever they battered them in made them taste strange. She didn't like the potato salad because it was chunks of baked potato with ranch dressing, not potato salad. Service was ok but not great by any means. Everything needed salt and pepper except the ribs but the hard shell would have prevented it from sticking. We used to love to go there and eat but we will not be back. We go out to eat to eat not to see the decor and if the food isn't worth eating we won't eat there. I brought the rib that I had left home and gave it to my dog and he has been chewing on the whole time I have been writing this. I couldn't chew it but I thought he would have better luck, but I guess not.

7  Thank Porkchopranch

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Just left Big Jims Bama Q, and wow. Was not expecting that. You walk in and the place looks pretty good. You are told to "seat yourself" which meant you wander the various rooms of the restaurant, looking for the table you want. May sound good, but it results in people continously coming in and looking around, trying to choose their table - while people are trying to eat!
We got there right before 5pm (stopped on our way home from a trip.) We were the second table seated in the dining room. I submitted a photo of the floor under my feet. It was filthy. My first choice of seat was also dirty. As we'd already disturbed the other couple in the dining room and the rest of the tables in our area were still dirty from lunch, we sat.
The sampler platter (pulled pork, pulled chicken, and a rib) sounded good-and big, so we shared it. Had the macaroni and cheese and baked beans as our sides. The beans were the best thing on the plate, excellent. The mac-n-cheese was boring, no flavor. We ended up with "wet" pulled pork on the platter as the ribs wouldn't be done for another hour and twenty minutes (!). The pulled chicken was dry, but the "wet" and "dry" pork was good. The sauces were very good and saved the meal.
Used the restroom....it was filthy with paper all over the floor, an open garbage can (no lid) that was spilling over with garbage and an open, used diaper (ugh). No paper towels, of course, as they were all over the floor.
It was just a bad beginning of a night for them.
I don't think the young waitress had had any training. She cleaned tables off by wiping everything on the floor (Oh! Right! Hence the dirty seat and floor at our table!) She approached us while we were eating, forks in our hands, and asked if she could take our plates. She was very sweet and polite though. Not fair that she was untrained.
I realize this is a lengthy review, but I would have appreciated a warning myself. I really hope, for BamaQ ' s sake, that this was just a really off night! But we won't be back.

7  Thank Halloweenfanatic
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We made a detour on the way to Decaur, Al. We saw it on Robert Irvine's Restaurant Impossible and wanted to try it out. I'm glad we did. We travel with our dog and was pleased to find a covered area with picnic tables. The food was great and the staff was extremely friendly as well as helpful. We don't live in the area, but found out there is another one in Calhoun Ga. We will be visiting it in the fall as the leaves are changing.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stopped there this weekend just to check out the new décor and the food we heard about from watching Restaurant Impossible. We were not disappointed at all. The food was fresh and delicious. We had the sampler platter and my husband and I shared it. All the meat, chicken, pulled pork and the one rib, had the smoky flavor, very tender, and was very fresh. The mac & cheese was creamy and the BBQ baked beans had a nice sweetness that was not over powering. We had the hot, mild and white sauces. All were tangy and very well seasoned. What we enjoyed most was none of them were sweet. They were perfect in heat and tanginess and complimented the meat very well. The prices were very reasonable too. You don't have to pay top dollar for quality food. I would go back frequently if it weren't over a hour away from my house but we will make it a point to go back as much as we can.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Ordered to go for a family dinner. Excellent service! Excellent food! Wish we lived close enough to eat there more often!