“Great eats!”
Review of Big Jim's Bama Q - CLOSED

Big Jim's Bama Q
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We made a detour on the way to Decaur, Al. We saw it on Robert Irvine's Restaurant Impossible and wanted to try it out. I'm glad we did. We travel with our dog and was pleased to find a covered area with picnic tables. The food was great and the staff was extremely friendly as well as helpful. We don't live in the area, but found out there is another one in Calhoun Ga. We will be visiting it in the fall as the leaves are changing.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stopped there this weekend just to check out the new décor and the food we heard about from watching Restaurant Impossible. We were not disappointed at all. The food was fresh and delicious. We had the sampler platter and my husband and I shared it. All the meat, chicken, pulled pork and the one rib, had the smoky flavor, very tender, and was very fresh. The mac & cheese was creamy and the BBQ baked beans had a nice sweetness that was not over powering. We had the hot, mild and white sauces. All were tangy and very well seasoned. What we enjoyed most was none of them were sweet. They were perfect in heat and tanginess and complimented the meat very well. The prices were very reasonable too. You don't have to pay top dollar for quality food. I would go back frequently if it weren't over a hour away from my house but we will make it a point to go back as much as we can.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Ordered to go for a family dinner. Excellent service! Excellent food! Wish we lived close enough to eat there more often!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stopped here after a local referral while at the five state yard sale. We apparently hit the restaurant at the perfect time, as a huge rush had just left. BBQ was really good and the Hickory Fries were scrumptious. Who wouldn't like french fries piled high with BBQ, sour cream, and cheese?!

Interior was super cute and did not match the outside of the space. You would never expect to see such an urban chic inside. Apparently, they were just on Restaurant Impossible, which will air at the end of May.

Service was okay. I'm cutting them some slack because it was clear they were slightly overwhelmed without enough staff.

Prices were good and I learned the menu we had to choose from was condensed due to the five state yard sale.

Be sure to stop by!

2  Thank CoachJTL
Reviewed 19 April 2014

On our way to our cabin, we happened to pass by and spur of the moment stopped. Walking in, I was pleasantly surprised at how cute the inside was. It was not expected at all from the outside. The waitress told us Restaurant Impossible had just recently in last month or two been there. I was very excited thinking...oh this should be great!! By the way, the waitress was great, very friendly. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. It wasn't that the food was bad. It was just plain. It really didn't seem to have any real flavor. The collards tasted like they were not even seasoned with salt. I had the wet pork, my husband the dry and neither of ours seemed seasoned. Either Robert Irvine isn't as great a chef as he's suppose to be or he didn't help them with the menu or they stopped using seasoning and ran out of salt when he left. As cute as the inside remodel is....I have to give this place a thumbs down.

3  Thank ynot011